OREMUS: 10 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Nov 9 22:12:02 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, November 10, 2005
Leo the Great, Bishop of Rome, Teacher of the Faith, 461

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
 his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
 let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;*
 let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
 and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
 and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me*
 and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
   encompasses those who fear him,*
 and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
 happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
 for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
 but those who seek the Lord
   lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
 I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
 and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evil-speaking*
 and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
 seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous,*
 and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,*
 to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
 and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
 and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
 but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
 not one of them shall be broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,*
 and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
 and none will be punished who trust in him.

A Song of the Holy City (Revelation 21:1-5a)

I saw a new heaven and a new earth,
for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away
and the sea was no more.

And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice from the throne saying,
'Behold, my dwelling is with my people.

'I will dwell with them and they shall be mine,
and I myself will be with them.

'I will wipe away every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more.

'Neither shall there be mourning,
nor crying, nor pain any more,
for the former things have passed away.'

And the One who sat upon the throne said,
'Behold, I make all things new.'

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Ezekiel 3:12-21]:

Then the spirit lifted me up, and as the glory of the
LORD rose from its place, I heard behind me the sound of
loud rumbling; it was the sound of the wings of the
living creatures brushing against one another, and the
sound of the wheels beside them, that sounded like a loud
rumbling. The spirit lifted me up and bore me away; I
went in bitterness in the heat of my spirit, the hand of
the LORD being strong upon me. I came to the exiles at
Tel-abib, who lived by the river Chebar. And I sat there
among them, stunned, for seven days.
At the end of seven days, the word of the LORD came to
me: Mortal, I have made you a sentinel for the house of
Israel; whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall
give them warning from me. If I say to the wicked, 'You
shall surely die', and you give them no warning, and do
not speak to warn the wicked from their wicked way, in
order to save their life, those wicked persons shall die
for their iniquity; but their blood I will require at
your hand. But if you warn the wicked, and they do not
turn from their wickedness, or from their wicked way,
they shall die for their iniquity; but you will have
saved your life. Again, if the righteous turn from their
righteousness and commit iniquity, and I lay a
stumbling-block before them, they shall die; because you
have not warned them, they shall die for their sin, and
their righteous deeds that they have done shall not be
remembered; but their blood I will require at your hand.
If, however, you warn the righteous not to sin, and they
do not sin, they shall surely live, because they took
warning; and you will have saved your life.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Peter 2:11-17

HYMN
Words: Frances Ridley Havergal, 1874
Tune: Mozart, Hollingside
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t007.html

Take my life, and let it be
consecrated, Lord, to thee;
take my moments and my days,
let them flow in ceaseless praise.

Take my hands, and let them move
at the impulse of thy love;
take my feet, and let them be
swift and beautiful for thee.

Take my voice, and let me sing
always, only, for my King;
take my lips, and let them be
filled with messages from thee.

Take my silver and my gold,
not a mite would I withhold;
take my intellect, and use
every power as thou shalt choose.

Take my will and make it thine;
it shall be no longer mine.
take my heart, it is thine own;
it shall be thy royal throne.

Take my love; my Lord, I pour
at thy feet its treasure store;
take my self, and I will be
ever, only, all for thee.

As we prepare the way of the Lord,
let us offer prayers to God
who will baptize us with Spirit and fire.

For the coming of Jesus Christ in power and glory.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For the coming of Wisdom to teach and guide us.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For the coming of Emmanuel, the hope of all the peoples.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For the peace of the world, and for our unity in Christ.
Prepare us, O Lord.

For all bishops, presbyters, deacons and all who minister in Christ,
and for all the holy people of God.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the church throughout the world
and the faithful in every place, especially
Tasmania, Australia, The Rt Revd John Douglas Harrower, Bishop.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the leaders of the nations and all in authority.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For justice, peace, and freedom among peoples of the earth.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For travelers, for the sick and the suffering,
for the hungry and the oppressed, and for those in prison.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the dying and those who have died.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For our deliverance from all affliction, strife, and need.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Joining our voices with the ever-blessed Virgin Mary
and with all the saints and angels of God,
let us offer ourselves and one another
to the living God through Christ.
To you, O Lord, our God.

Hear us, Lord, when we cry to you.
Calm our bodies and minds with the peace
which passes understanding,
and make us radiant with the knowledge of your goodness;
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

O Lord our God,
grant that your Church,
following the example of your servant Leo of Rome,
may hold fast the great mystery of our redemption,
and adore the one true Christ,
truly God and truly Human,
neither divided from our human nature
nor separate from your divine Being;

Grant that as we serve yo now on earth,
so we may one day rejoice with all the saints
in your kingdom of light and peace,

copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is by Ormonde Plater.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

Leo I (440-461) and Gregory I (590-604) are the only two bishops of Rome
commonly called "the Great." Leo, at a time when the capital of the Empire
had been moved to Constantinople, and the government even in Italy no longer
had its headquarters at Rome, was the most important official in the city. To
him fell such prosaic tasks as supervising the distribution of grain imports and
reorganizing the municipal fire department. When Attila and the Huns invaded
Italy in 452, he negotiated their withdrawal, and when Gaiseric (or Genseric)
the Vandal captured Rome three years later, it was Leo who prevented the
total destruction of the city. It is perhaps not surprising that the theory of papal
supremacy gained much ground in his day.
In his day there were disgreements about the correct way to state the truth that
Jesus Christ is both God and man. In 449 Leo wrote a letter (known as the
Tome of Leo) to Bishop Flavian of Constantinople, in which he affirmed that
Christ has two Natures in one Person. The letter was read in 451 by the
Council of Chalcedon (the fourth Ecumenical Council), and judged by them to
be sound doctrine. It contributed much to the creedal statements of that
council.
Leo's influence on church government will naturally get mixed reviews. But for
his defense of the belief that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto
himself, all Christians may thank God.
>From a sermon by Leo the Great:
"Although the universal Church of God is constituted of distinct orders of
members, still, in spite of the many parts of its holy body, the Church subsists
as an integral whole, just as the Apostle says: we are all one in Christ. . . For
all, regenerated in Christ, are made kings by the sign of the cross; they are
consecrated priests by the oil of the Holy Spirit, so that beyond the special
service of our ministry as priests, all spiritual and mature Christians know that
they are a royal race and are sharers in the office of the priesthood. For what is
more king-like that to find yourself ruler over your body after having
surrendered your soul to God? And what is more priestly than to promise the
Lord a pure conscience and to offer him in love unblemished victims on the
altar of one's heart? "