OREMUS: 9 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Nov 8 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, November 9, 2005
Margery Kempe, Mystic, c.1440

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.

I will cry aloud to God;*
 I will cry aloud and he will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;*
 my hands were stretched out by night and did not tire;
   I refused to be comforted.
I think of God, I am restless,*
 I ponder and my spirit faints.
You will not let my eyelids close;*
 I am troubled and I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old;*
 I remember the years long past;
I commune with my heart in the night;*
 I ponder and search my mind.
Will the Lord cast me off for ever?*
 will he no more show his favour?
Has his loving-kindness come to an end for ever?*
 has his promise failed for evermore?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?*
 has he, in his anger, withheld his compassion?
And I said, 'My grief is this:*
 the right hand of the Most High has lost its power.'
I will remember the works of the Lord,*
 and call to mind your wonders of old time.
I will meditate on all your acts*
 and ponder your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy;*
 who is so great a god as our God?
You are the God who works wonders*
 and have declared your power among the peoples.
By your strength you have redeemed your people,*
 the children of Jacob and Joseph.
The waters saw you, O God;
   the waters saw you and trembled;*
 the very depths were shaken.
The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered;*
 your arrows flashed to and fro;
The sound of your thunder was in the whirlwind;
   your lightnings lit up the world;*
 the earth trembled and shook.
Your way was in the sea,
   and your paths in the great waters,*
 yet your footsteps were not seen.
You led your people like a flock*
 by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (from Isaiah 66)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her
all you who love her', says the Lord.

'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,

'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'

For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.

'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;

'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Ezekiel 2:8-3:11]:

But you, mortal, hear what I say to you; do not be
rebellious like that rebellious house; open your mouth
and eat what I give you. I looked, and a hand was
stretched out to me, and a written scroll was in it. He
spread it before me; it had writing on the front and on
the back, and written on it were words of lamentation and
mourning and woe.
He said to me, O mortal, eat what is offered to you; eat
this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel. So I
opened my mouth, and he gave me the scroll to eat. He
said to me, Mortal, eat this scroll that I give you and
fill your stomach with it. Then I ate it; and in my mouth
it was as sweet as honey.
He said to me: Mortal, go to the house of Israel and
speak my very words to them. For you are not sent to a
people of obscure speech and difficult language, but to
the house of Israel  not to many peoples of obscure
speech and difficult language, whose words you cannot
understand. Surely, if I sent you to them, they would
listen to you. But the house of Israel will not listen to
you, for they are not willing to listen to me; because
all the house of Israel have a hard forehead and a
stubborn heart. See, I have made your face hard against
their faces, and your forehead hard against their
foreheads. Like the hardest stone, harder than flint, I
have made your forehead; do not fear them or be dismayed
at their looks, for they are a rebellious house. He said
to me: Mortal, all my words that I shall speak to you
receive in your heart and hear with your ears; then go to
the exiles, to your people, and speak to them. Say to
them, 'Thus says the Lord GOD'; whether they hear or
refuse to hear.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Peter 2:1-10

HYMN
Words: Bernard of Clairvaux, twelfth century;
trans. John Mason Neale and Hymns Ancient & Modern
Tune: Jesu dulcis memoria
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j188.html

Jesus! the very thought is sweet;
in that dear name all heart-joys meet;
but O, than honey sweeter far
the glimpses of his presence are.

No word is sung more sweet than this,
no sound is heard more full of bliss,
no thought brings sweeter comfort nigh,
than Jesus, Son of God most high.

Jesus, the hope of souls forlorn,
how good to them for sin that mourn!
To them that seek the, O how kind!
But what art thou to them that find?

No tongue of mortal can express,
no pen can write, the blessedness:
he only who hath proved it knows
what bliss from love of Jesus flows.

O Jesus, King of wondrous might!
O Victor, glorious from the fight!
Sweetness that may not be expressed,
and altogether loveliest!

Abide with us, O Lord, today,
fulfill us with thy grace, we pray;
and with thine own true sweetness feed
our souls from sin and darkness freed.

Jesus our exalted Lord has been given all authority.
Let us seek his intercession that our prayers may be perfected by his prayer.

Jesus Christ, great high priest, living for ever to intercede for us
pray for your Church, your broken body in the world
We pray especially for the Diocese of Tanga, Tanzania,<BR
The Rt Revd Phillip D Baji, Bishop.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, king of righteousness,
enthroned at the right hand of the majesty on high
pray for the world, and make it subject to your gentle rule
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Son of Man, drawing humanity into the life of God
pray for your bothers and sisters in need, distress or sorrow
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, pioneer of our salvation,
bringing us to your glory through your death and resurrection
receive into your kingdom those who have died
  trusting in your promises
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Lord of all things,
ascended far above from the heavens and filling the universe
pray for us who receive the gifts you give us
  for work in your service
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ,
keep the Church in the unity of the Spirit
  and in the bond of peace,
and bring the whole created order to worship at your feet;
for you are alive and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Majestic God,
you led your people like a flock
and delivered them by your mighty power in times of old:
do not forget your people in their troubles
and raise up your power
to sustain the poor and helpless,
for the honour of your Name. Amen.

Almighty God,
you have built your Church
through the love and devotion of your saints:
we give thanks for your servant Margery Kempe,
whom we commemorate today.
Inspire us to follow her example
that we in our generation may rejoice with her
in the vision of your glory;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit

Grant that as we serve yo now on earth,
so we may one day rejoice with all the saints
in your kingdom of light and peace,

The psalms, the first collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is from the draft version of _Common Worship: Times
and Seasons_

Born at Lynn in Norfolk in about 1373, Margery married and had fourteen
children. After she had received several visions, she and her husband went
on a pilgimage to Canterbury. Her fervent denunciations of all pleasure
aroused stiff opposition and she was accused of Lollardy. In 1413 she and
her husband took vows of chastity before the Bishop of Lincoln. She also
made a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. The Book of Margery Kempe, which
is almost the sole source of information about the author, describes her
travels and mystical experiences. It also shows her closeness to the passion
of Christ for the sins of the world. The last reference to her is on a
pilgrimage to Danzig in 1433.