OREMUS: 8 November 2005

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Tue Nov 8 00:50:42 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, November 8, 2005

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.
For these and all your mercies, we praise you: Father, Son and Holy Spirit:

Truly, God is good to Israel,*
  to those who are pure in heart.
But as for me, my feet had nearly slipped;*
  I had almost tripped and fallen;
Because I envied the proud*
  and saw the prosperity of the wicked:
For they suffer no pain,*
  and their bodies are sleek and sound;
In the misfortunes of others they have no share;*
  they are not afflicted as others are;
Therefore they wear their pride like a necklace*
  and wrap their violence about them like a cloak.
Their iniquity comes from gross minds,*
  and their hearts overflow with wicked thoughts.
They scoff and speak maliciously;*
  out of their haughtiness they plan oppression.
They set their mouths against the heavens,*
  and their evil speech runs through the world.
And so the people turn to them*
  and find in them no fault.
They say, ‘How should God know?*
  is there knowledge in the Most High?’
So then, these are the wicked;*
  always at ease, they increase their wealth.
In vain have I kept my heart clean,*
  and washed my hands in innocence.
I have been afflicted all day long,*
  and punished every morning.
Had I gone on speaking this way,*
  I should have betrayed the generation of your children.
When I tried to understand these things,*
  it was too hard for me;
Until I entered the sanctuary of God*
  and discerned the end of the wicked.
Surely, you set them in slippery places;*
  you cast them down in ruin.
O how suddenly do they come to destruction,*
  come to an end and perish from terror!
Like a dream when one awakens, O Lord,*
  when you arise you will make their image vanish.
When my mind became embittered,*
  I was sorely wounded in my heart.
I was stupid and had no understanding;*
  I was like a brute beast in your presence.
Yet I am always with you;*
  you hold me by my right hand.
You will guide me by your counsel,*
  and afterwards receive me with glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you?*
  and having you I desire nothing upon earth.
Though my flesh and my heart should waste away,*
  God is the strength of my heart and my portion for ever.
Truly, those who forsake you will perish;*
  you destroy all who are unfaithful.
But it is good for me to be near God;*
  I have made the Lord God my refuge.
I will speak of all your works*
  in the gates of the city of Zion.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
  which no one could number,

 From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
  standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
  and had palms in their hands,
  and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
  who sits on the throne,
  and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
  they have washed their robes
  and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
  whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
  will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
  the sun shall not strike them,
  nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
  will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
  and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

  for ever and ever. Amen.

READING [Ezekiel 1:22-2:2]:

Over the heads of the living creatures there was something like a dome,
shining like crystal, spread out above their heads. Under the dome their
wings were stretched out straight, one towards another; and each of the
creatures had two wings covering its body. When they moved, I heard the
sound of their wings like the sound of mighty waters, like the thunder of
the Almighty, a sound of tumult like the sound of an army; when they
stopped, they let down their wings. And there came a voice from above the
dome over their heads; when they stopped, they let down their wings.

And above the dome over their heads there was something like a throne, in
appearance like sapphire; and seated above the likeness of a throne was
something that seemed like a human form. Upwards from what appeared like
the loins I saw something like gleaming amber, something that looked like
fire enclosed all round; and downwards from what looked like the loins I
saw something that looked like fire, and there was a splendour all round.
Like the bow in a cloud on a rainy day, such was the appearance of the
splendour all round. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory
of the LORD.

When I saw it, I fell on my face, and I heard the voice of someone speaking.

He said to me: O mortal, stand up on your feet, and I will speak with you.
And when he spoke to me, a spirit entered into me and set me on my feet;
and I heard him speaking to me.

For another Biblical reading, 1 Peter 1:13-25

HYMN
Words: Liturgy of Saint James (fifth century); trans. Gerald Moultrie
(1829-1885), 1864
Tune: Picardy

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l027.html

Let all mortal flesh keep silence,
and with fear and trembling stand;
ponder nothing earthly minded,
for with blessing in his hand
Christ our God to earth descendeth,
our full homage to demand.

King of kings, yet born of Mary,
as of old on earth he stood,
Lord of lords in human vesture,
in the Body and the Blood
he will give to all the faithful
his own self for heavenly food.

Rank on rank the host of heaven
spreads its vanguard on the way,
as the Light of Light descendeth
from the realms of endless day,
that the powers of hell may vanish
as the darkness clears away.

At his feet the six-winged seraph;
cherubim with sleepless eye,
veil their faces to the Presence,
as with ceaseless voice they cry,
"Alleluia, alleluia!
Alleluia, Lord Most High!"

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
In joyful expectation of his coming to our aid
we pray to Jesus, saying,
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to your Church as Lord and Judge.
We pray for the Diocese of Tamale,
The Rt Revd Emmanuel Anyindana Arongo, Bishop...
Help us to live in the light of your coming
and give us a longing for your rule.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to your world as King of the nations.
We pray for ...
Before you rulers will stand in silence.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to your people with a message of victory and peace.
We pray for ...
Give us the victory over death, temptation and evil.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to us as Saviour and Comforter.
We pray for ...
Break in to those areas of our lives
where we live with failure and distress,
and set us free to serve you for ever.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to us from heaven with power and great glory,
to lift us up to meet you,
with all your saints and angels,
to live with you for ever.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Holy God, to whom our love rightly belongs,
may we find true wisdom in your presence
and set our hope not on uncertain riches
but on the love that will hold us to the end,
on Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Grant that as we serve yo now on earth,
so we may one day rejoice with all the saints
in your kingdom of light and peace,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The psalms, collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from
Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992,
which is used with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted
from prayers reprinted from Revised Common Lectionary Prayers, copyright ©
2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is from The Promise of His Glory (Mowbray), © The Central
Board of Finance of the Church of England 1990, 1991, which is used with