OREMUS: 7 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Nov 6 21:15:42 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, November 7, 2005
Willibrord of York, Bishop, Apostle of Frisia, 739

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.

Lord, who may dwell in your tabernacle?*
 who may abide upon your holy hill?
Whoever leads a blameless life and does what is right,*
 who speaks the truth from his heart.
There is no guile upon his tongue;
   he does no evil to his friend;*
 he does not heap contempt upon his neighbour.
In his sight the wicked is rejected,*
 but he honours those who fear the Lord.
He has sworn to do no wrong*
 and does not take back his word.
He does not give his money in hope of gain,*
 nor does he take a bribe against the innocent.
Whoever does these things*
 shall never be overthrown.

Psalm 16

Protect me, O God, for I take refuge in you;*
 I have said to the Lord, 'You are my Lord,
   my good above all other.'
All my delight is upon the godly that are in the land,*
 upon those who are noble among the people.
But those who run after other gods*
 shall have their troubles multiplied.
Their libations of blood I will not offer,*
 nor take the names of their gods upon my lips.
O Lord, you are my portion and my cup;*
 it is you who uphold my lot.
My boundaries enclose a pleasant land;*
 indeed, I have a goodly heritage.
I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel;*
 my heart teaches me, night after night.
I have set the Lord always before me;*
 because he is at my right hand I shall not fall.
My heart, therefore, is glad and my spirit rejoices;*
 my body also shall rest in hope.
For you will not abandon me to the grave,*
 nor let your holy one see the Pit.
You will show me the path of life;*
 in your presence there is fullness of joy,
   and in your right hand are pleasures for evermore.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Ezekiel 1:1-14]:

In the thirtieth year, in the fourth month, on the fifth
day of the month, as I was among the exiles by the river
Chebar, the heavens were opened, and I saw visions of
God. On the fifth day of the month (it was the fifth year
of the exile of King Jehoiachin), the word of the LORD
came to the priest Ezekiel son of Buzi, in the land of
the Chaldeans by the river Chebar; and the hand of the
LORD was on him there.
As I looked, a stormy wind came out of the north: a great
cloud with brightness around it and fire flashing forth
continually, and in the middle of the fire, something
like gleaming amber. In the middle of it was something
like four living creatures. This was their appearance:
they were of human form. Each had four faces, and each of
them had four wings. Their legs were straight, and the
soles of their feet were like the sole of a calf's foot;
and they sparkled like burnished bronze. Under their
wings on their four sides they had human hands. And the
four had their faces and their wings thus: their wings
touched one another; each of them moved straight ahead,
without turning as they moved. As for the appearance of
their faces: the four had the face of a human being, the
face of a lion on the right side, the face of an ox on
the left side, and the face of an eagle; such were their
faces. Their wings were spread out above; each creature
had two wings, each of which touched the wing of another,
while two covered their bodies. Each moved straight
ahead; wherever the spirit would go, they went, without
turning as they went. In the middle of the living
creatures there was something that looked like burning
coals of fire, like torches moving to and fro among the
living creatures; the fire was bright, and lightning
issued from the fire. The living creatures darted to and
fro, like a flash of lightning.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Peter 1:1-12

HYMN
Words: Shirley Erena Murray (c)
Tune: Llangloffan
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f296.html

>From the waiting comes the sign,
come, Holy Spirit, come;
from the presence comes the peace--
come, Holy Spirit, come;
from the silence comes the song--
come, Holy Spirit, come
and be to us, in truth,
the sign, the peace, the song.

In the burning is the fire--
come, Holy Spirit, come;
in the spending is the gift--
come, Holy Spirit, come;
in the breaking is the life--
come, Holy Spirit, come
and be to us, in faith,
the fire, the gift, the life.

O God, you are filled with possibility and mystery.
You hold our anxieties and our hopes.

Your faithful forget to praise you, consumed by self-centered busyness,
O God of stillness, come into our hearts.

Your beloved community is baffled and broken,
O God of healing, come into our churches.

We pray especially today for the Diocese of Taiwan, The Rt Revd David J H Lai, Bishop.

Your people wander in the streets without a place to lay their head,
O God our resting place, come into our neighborhoods.

Your world is torn apart by war and conflict,
O God of Peace, come into our world.

Night and day, we wait and pray, for you, our Emmanuel. Amen.

Give to us, Lord, that gift greater than grace
your presence and your very self,
broken for our salvation,
raised to bring us life. Amen.

God, the Saviour of all,
you sent your bishop Willibrord
to proclaim the good news to many peoples
and confirm them in their faith:
help us also to witness to your steadfast love
by word and deed
so that your Church may increase
and grow strong in holiness;

Grant that as we serve yo now on earth,
so we may one day rejoice with all the saints
in your kingdom of light and peace,

The canticle and the first collect are from _Common Worship: Daily
Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2002.

copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is by Allison Hajdu-Paulen

The second collect (slight adapted) is from _Common Worship: Services
and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included
in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

Willibrord, first Archbishop of Utrecht, is one of the missionaries sent out by
the Anglo-Saxon Christians about a century after they had themselves been
Christianized by missionaries in the south and east of England from Rome and
the Continent, and in the north and west from the Celtic peoples of Scotland,
Ireland, and Wales.
Our information about Willibrord comes to us from the Venerable Bede
(History of the English Church and People, v. 10-11) and from a biography by
his younger kinsman Alcuin (20 May), Minister of Education under the
Emperor Charlemagne. Willibrord was born in Northumbria in England about
658, and studied in France and Ireland. In 690 he set out with 12 companions
to preach to the pagans of Frisia (a region roughly coextensive with the
province of Friesland in the Netherlands, including some adjacent territories
and the Frisian islands in the North Sea). His work was interrupted several
times by wars, and he left for a while to preach to the Danes instead. He died 7
November 739.