OREMUS: 6 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 5 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, November 6, 2005
The Twenty-Fifth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.

O God, you are my God; eagerly I seek you;*
 my soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you,
   as in a barren and dry land where there is no water;
Therefore I have gazed upon you in your holy place,*
 that I might behold your power and your glory.
For your loving-kindness is better than life itself;*
 my lips shall give you praise.
So will I bless you as long as I live*
 and lift up my hands in your name.
My soul is content, as with marrow and fatness,*
 and my mouth praises you with joyful lips,
When I remember you upon my bed,*
 and meditate on you in the night watches.
For you have been my helper,*
 and under the shadow of your wings I will rejoice.
My soul clings to you;*
 your right hand holds me fast.

Psalm 98

Sing to the Lord a new song,*
 for he has done marvellous things.
With his right hand and his holy arm*
 has he won for himself the victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;*
 his righteousness has he openly shown
   in the sight of the nations.
He remembers his mercy and faithfulness
   to the house of Israel,*
 and all the ends of the earth have seen
   the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands;*
 lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.
Sing to the Lord with the harp,*
 with the harp and the voice of song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn*
 shout with joy before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it,*
 the lands and those who dwell therein.
Let the rivers clap their hands,*
 and let the hills ring out with joy before the Lord,
   when he comes to judge the earth.
In righteousness shall he judge the world,*
 and the peoples with equity.

A Song of God's Assembled (Hebrews 12:22-24a,28-29)

We have come before God's holy mountain,
to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.

We have come before countless angels making festival,
before the assembly of the firstborn citizens of heaven.

We have come before God, who is judge of all,
before the spirits of the just made perfect.

We have come before Jesus,
the mediator of the new covenant.

We are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken:
so let us give thanks and offer to God acceptable worship,

full of reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Matthew 24:36-44]:

Jesus said, 'But about that day and hour no one knows,
neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the
Father. For as the days of Noah were, so will be the
coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the
flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving
in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, and they
knew nothing until the flood came and swept them all
away, so too will be the coming of the Son of Man. Then
two will be in the field; one will be taken and one will
be left. Two women will be grinding meal together; one
will be taken and one will be left. Keep awake therefore,
for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. But
understand this: if the owner of the house had known in
what part of the night the thief was coming, he would
have stayed awake and would not have let his house be
broken into. Therefore you also must be ready, for the
Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour.'

For another Biblical reading,
Judges 2:7-19

HYMN
Words: J.R. Peacey (1896-1971) (c)
Tune: Deus tuorum militum, Church Triumphant
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a401.html

Awake! Awake! Fling off the night,
for God has sent a glorious light,
and we who live in Christ's new day
must works of darkness put away.

Awake and sing, with praises strong,
in psalm and hymn and spirit-song.
Let love our words and works renew
with all that's good and right and true.

Let in the light; all sin expose
to Christ, whose life no darkness knows.
Before the cross expectant kneel,
that Christ may judge, and judging, heal.

Then rise as children of the light.
Be neither proud, nor hide from sight.
Be careful how you live, and wise
to sift the truth from cunning lies.

Through Christ give thanks to God, and say
to other sleepers on the way:
"Awake, and rise up from the dead
that Christ may shine on you instead!"

As we await the coming of the Lord
let us offer prayers to God
who bears the sins of many.

For our bishops,
for this holy gathering,
and for the people of God in every place.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For mercy, justice, and peace among all peoples.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For good weather,
abundant fruits of the earth
and peaceful times.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For our city and those who live in it
and for all those we love.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all those in danger and need:
the sick and the suffering,
prisoners, captives, and their families,
the hungry, homeless, and oppressed.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For those who rest in Christ and for all the dead.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For our deliverance from all affliction, strife, and need.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Lifting our voices with all creation,
let us offer ourselves and one another
to the living God through Christ.
To you, O Lord.

Living Lord,
you have made this day your own
and called us out of darkness into your marvellous light;
open the gates of righteousness
that your pilgrim people may enter
and be built into a living temple
on the cornerstone of our salvation,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Grant that as we serve yo now on earth,
so we may one day rejoice with all the saints
in your kingdom of light and peace,

copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

Hymn (c) 1991 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories except the UK, contact:
Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
In the UK: contact The Revd. Mary J. Hancock, 55 Huntspill Street,
London  SW17 0AA England

The intercession is by Ormonde Plater.

The collect is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is