OREMUS: 5 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Nov 4 22:12:07 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, November 5, 2005

Blessed are you, Lover of our souls,
in Jesus, your Incarnate One and our Redeemer,
you have made us no longer strangers and sojourners,
but fellow citizens with the saints
and members of your household.

May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble,*
 the name of the God of Jacob defend you;
Send you help from his holy place*
 and strengthen you out of Zion;
Remember all your offerings*
 and accept your burnt sacrifice;
Grant you your heart's desire*
 and prosper all your plans.
We will shout for joy at your victory
   and triumph in the name of our God;*
 may the Lord grant all your requests.
Now I know that the Lord gives victory
   to his anointed;*
 he will answer him out of his holy heaven,
   with the victorious strength of his right hand.
Some put their trust in chariots and some in horses,*
 but we will call upon the name of the Lord our God.
They collapse and fall down,*
 but we will arise and stand upright.
O Lord, give victory to the king*
 and answer us when we call.

Psalm 82

God takes his stand in the council of heaven;*
 he gives judgement in the midst of the gods:
'How long will you judge unjustly,*
 and show favour to the wicked?
'Save the weak and the orphan;*
 defend the humble and needy;
'Rescue the weak and the poor;*
 deliver them from the power of the wicked.
'They do not know, neither do they understand;
   they go about in darkness;*
 all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
'Now I say to you, "You are gods,*
 and all of you children of the Most High;
'"Nevertheless, you shall die like mortals,*
 and fall like any prince."'
Arise, O God, and rule the earth,*
 for you shall take all nations for your own.

A Song of Pilgrimage (from Ecclesiasticus 51)

While I was still young,
I sought Wisdom openly in my prayer.

Before the temple I asked for her,
and I will search for her until the end.

>From the first blossom to the ripening grape,
my heart delighted in her.

My foot walked on the straight path,
from my youth I followed her steps.

I inclined my ear a little and received her,
I found for myself much instruction.

I made progress in Wisdom;
to the One who sent her,
I will give glory.

I directed my soul to Wisdom,
and in purity have I found her.

With her, I gained understanding from the first,
therefore will I never be forsaken.

My heart was stirred to seek her,
with my tongue will I sing God's praise.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [John 15:9-17]:

Jesus said, 'As the Father has loved me, so I have loved
you; abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you
will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's
commandments and abide in his love. I have said these
things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your
joy may be complete.'
'This is my commandment, that you love one another as I
have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay
down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if
you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any
longer, because the servant does not know what the master
is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have
made known to you everything that I have heard from my
Father. You did not choose me but I chose you. And I
appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last,
so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in
my name. I am giving you these commands so that you may
love one another.'

For another Biblical reading,
Judges 7:2-22

HYMN
Words: Bianco da Siena, d. 1434;
trans. Richard Frederick Littledale, Jr., 1867
Tune: Down Ampney
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c186.html

Come down, O love divine,
seek thou this soul of mine,
and visit it with thine own ardor glowing;
O Comforter, draw near,
within my heart appear,
and kindle it, thy holy flame bestowing.

O let it freely burn,
till earthly passions turn
to dust and ashes in its heat consuming;
and let thy glorious light
shine ever on my sight,
and clothe me round, the while my path illuming.

Let holy charity
mine outward vesture be,
and lowliness become mine inner clothing;
true lowliness of heart,
which takes the humbler part,
and o'er its own shortcomings weeps with loathing.

And so the yearning strong,
with which the soul will long,
shall far outpass the power of human telling;
for none can guess its grace,
till Love create a place
wherein the Holy Spirit makes a dwelling.

Let us praise Christ our King,
by whose cross we have citizenship in heaven,
saying: Lord, have mercy.

Lord, you built your Church
on the foundation of the apostles:
Lord, have mercy.

You witness to your truth
in the lives of your saints:
Lord, have mercy.

You made us to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God:
Lord, have mercy.

You have shared our burdens
revealing the holiness of our life and work:
Lord, have mercy.

You stir us to seek
the mysteries of the kingdom:
Lord, have mercy.

You lead us
to the eternal assembly of the saints:
Lord, have mercy.

For your Church, we pray, especially
the Diocese of Tabora, Tanzania, The Rt Revd Sadock Makaya, Bishop.
Lord, have mercy.

God our Hope and our Defense,
protect all those who call upon your Name,
that they may stand upright in the day of trouble,
and share in the victory
of your Son our Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

Assured of your love,
help us to cast aside all fear,
that we may love our neighbors as ourselves. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on Ephesians 2:19.

The closing sentence uses a phrase from a prayer  adapted from _Revised
Common Texts.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com