OREMUS: 3 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Nov 2 21:17:27 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, November 3, 2005
Richard Hooker, Priest, Anglican Apologist, Teacher of the Faith, 1600

Blessed are you, Lover of our souls,
in Jesus, your Incarnate One and our Redeemer,
you have made us no longer strangers and sojourners,
but fellow citizens with the saints
and members of your household.

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
 and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
 and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise your works to another*
 and shall declare your power.
I will ponder the glorious splendour of your majesty*
 and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts,*
 and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
   of your great goodness;*
 they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
 and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
 and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known the glory of your kingdom*
 and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
 and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
 your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
 and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
 he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
 and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
 and satisfy the needs of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
 and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those who call upon him,*
 to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
 he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*
 but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord;*
 let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Matthew 24:15-28]:

Jesus said, 'So when you see the desolating sacrilege
standing in the holy place, as was spoken of by the
prophet Daniel (let the reader understand), then those in
Judea must flee to the mountains; someone on the housetop
must not go down to take what is in the house; someone in
the field must not turn back to get a coat. Woe to those
who are pregnant and to those who are nursing infants in
those days! Pray that your flight may not be in winter or
on a sabbath. For at that time there will be great
suffering, such as has not been from the beginning of the
world until now, no, and never will be. And if those days
had not been cut short, no one would be saved; but for
the sake of the elect those days will be cut short. Then
if anyone says to you, "Look! Here is the Messiah!" or
"There he is!" do not believe it. For false messiahs and
false prophets will appear and produce great signs and
omens, to lead astray, if possible, even the elect. Take
note, I have told you beforehand. So, if they say to you,
"Look! He is in the wilderness", do not go out. If they
say, "Look! He is in the inner rooms", do not believe it.
For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes as
far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man.
Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.'

For another Biblical reading,
Daniel 9:11-19

HYMN
Words: (c) Alan Gaunt
Tune: Rendez a Dieu
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c246.html

Come, living God, when least expected,
when minds are dull and hearts are cold,
through sharpening word and warm affection
revealing truth as yet untold.
Break from the tomb in which we hide you
to speak again in startling ways;
break through the words in which we bind you
to resurrect our lifeless praise.

Come now, as once you came to Moses
within the bush alive with flame;
or to Elijah on the mountain,
by silence pressing home your claim.
So, let our minds be sharp to read you
in sight or sound or printed page,
and let us greet you in our neighbors,
in ardent youth or mellow age.

Then, through our gloom, your Son will meet us
as vivid truth and living Lord,
exploding doubt and disillusion
to scatter hope and joy abroad.
Then we will share his radiant brightness,
and, blazing through the dread of night,
illuminate by love and reason,
for those in darkness, faith's delight.

O Lord, answer us in the day of trouble,
Send us help from your holy place.

Show us the path of life,
For in your presence is joy.

Give justice to the orphan and oppressed
And break the power of wickedness and evil.

Look upon the hungry and sorrowful
And grant them the help for which they long.

Let the heavens rejoice and the earth be glad;
May your glory endure for ever.

Your kingship has dominion over all
And with you is our redemption.

We pray for your Church, especially
the Diocese of Swansea & Brecon, Wales,
The Rt Revd Anthony Edward Pierce, Bishop.
Lord, have mercy.

Lord God, King of the Universe,
you show the bright glory of your reign
in acts of mercy and enduring love:
raise the spirits of the downcast
and restore those who have fallen away,
that your Church may continually sing of your saving help;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God of truth and peace,
you raised up your servant Richard Hooker
in a day of bitter controversy
to defend with sound reasoning and great charity
the catholic and reformed religion:
Grant that we may maintain that middle way,
not as a compromise for the sake of peace,
but as a comprehension for the sake of truth;
through Jesus Christ Son our Lord,

Assured of your love,
help us to cast aside all fear,
that we may love our neighbors as ourselves. Amen.

The psalms, first collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on Ephesians 2:19.

The closing sentence uses a phrase from a prayer  adapted from _Revised
Common Texts.

On any list of great English theologians, the name of Richard Hooker would
appear at or near the top. His masterpiece is The Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity.
Its philosophical base is Aristotelian, with a strong emphasis on natural law
eternally planted by God in creation. On this foundation, all positive laws of
Church and State are developed from Scriptural revelation, ancient tradition,
reason, and experience.
The occasion of his writing was the demand of English Puritans for a
reformation of Church government. Calvin had established in Geneva a system
whereby each congregation was ruled by a commission comprising two thirds
laymen elected annually by the congregation and one third clergy serving for
life. The English Puritans (by arguments more curious than convincing) held
that no church not so governed could claim to be Christian.
Hooker replies to this assertion, but in the process he raises and considers
fundamental questions about the authority and legitimacy of government
(religious and secular), about the nature of law, and about various kinds of law,
including the laws of physics as well as the laws of England. In the course of
his book he sets forth the Anglican view of the Church, and the Anglican
approach to the discovery of religious truth (the so-called via media, or middle
road), and explains how this differs from the position of the Puritans, on the
one hand, and the adherents of the Pope, on the other. He is very heavy
reading, but well worth it. (He says, on the first page of Chapter I: "Those unto
whom we shall seem tedious are in no wise injuried by us, seeing that it lies in
their own hands to spare themselves the labor they are unwilling to endure."
This translates into modern English as: "If you can't take the intellectual heat,
get out of the kitchen. If you can't stand a book that makes you think, go read
the funny papers.")
The effect of the book has been considerable. Hooker greatly influenced John
Locke, and (both directly and through Locke), American political philosophy
in the late 1700's. Although Hooker is unsparing in his censure of what he
believes to be the errors of Rome, his contemporary, Pope Clement VIII (died
1605), said of the book: "It has in it such seeds of eternity that it will abide
until the last fire shall consume all learning."
Hooker's best short work is his sermon, "A Learned discourse of Justification."
In an earlier sermon, Hooker had expressed the hope of seeing in Heaven many
who had been Romanists on earth. A Puritan preacher took him to task for
this, saying that since the Romanists did not believe the doctrine of Justification
by Faith, they could not be justified. Hooker replied at length in this sermon, in
which (1) he sets forth the Doctrine of Justification by Faith, and agrees with
his opponent that the official theology of Rome is defective on this point; (2)
he defends his assertion that those who do not rightly understand the means
that God has provided for our salvation may nonetheless be saved by it, in
which connection he says: "God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up
whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our
weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say
aright." [James Kiefer]