OREMUS: 1 June 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue May 31 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, June 1, 2005
Justin, Martyr at Rome, c.165

Blessed are you, Lord God,
enthroned in splendor and light,
yet in the coming of your Son Jesus Christ
you reveal the power of your love
made perfect in our human weakness.

For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be greatly shaken.
How long will you assail me to crush me,
   all of you together,*
 as if you were a leaning fence, a toppling wall?
They seek only to bring me down
   from my place of honour;*
 lies are their chief delight.
They bless with their lips,*
 but in their hearts they curse.
For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 truly, my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken.
In God is my safety and my honour;*
 God is my strong rock and my refuge.
Put your trust in him always, O people,*
 pour out your hearts before him, for God is our refuge.
Those of high degree are but a fleeting breath,*
 even those of low estate cannot be trusted.
On the scales they are lighter than a breath,*
 all of them together.
Put no trust in extortion;
   in robbery take no empty pride;*
 though wealth increase, set not your heart upon it.
God has spoken once, twice have I heard it,*
 that power belongs to God.
Steadfast love is yours, O Lord,*
 for you repay everyone according to his deeds.

Psalm 63

O God, you are my God; eagerly I seek you;*
 my soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you,
   as in a barren and dry land where there is no water;
Therefore I have gazed upon you in your holy place,*
 that I might behold your power and your glory.
For your loving-kindness is better than life itself;*
 my lips shall give you praise.
So will I bless you as long as I live*
 and lift up my hands in your name.
My soul is content, as with marrow and fatness,*
 and my mouth praises you with joyful lips,
When I remember you upon my bed,*
 and meditate on you in the night watches.
For you have been my helper,*
 and under the shadow of your wings I will rejoice.
My soul clings to you;*
 your right hand holds me fast.

A Song of the Messiah (from Isaiah 9

The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light;
those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness,
upon them the light has dawned.

You have increased their joy and given them great gladness;
they rejoiced before you as with joy at the harvest.

For you have shattered the yoke that burdened them;
the collar that lay heavy on their shoulders.

For to us a child is born and to us a son is given,
and the government will be upon his shoulder.

And his name will be called: Wonderful Counsellor,
the Mighty God;
the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace.

Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,

Upon the throne of David and over his kingdom,
to establish and uphold it with justice and righteousness.

>From this time forth and for evermore;
the zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.

READING [Matthew 8:1-13]:

When Jesus had come down from the mountain, great crowds
followed him; and there was a leper who came to him and
knelt before him, saying, 'Lord, if you choose, you can
make me clean.' He stretched out his hand and touched
him, saying, 'I do choose. Be made clean!' Immediately
his leprosy was cleansed. Then Jesus said to him, 'See
that you say nothing to anyone; but go, show yourself to
the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, as a
testimony to them.'
When he entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him,
appealing to him and saying, 'Lord, my servant is lying
at home paralysed, in terrible distress.' And he said to
him, 'I will come and cure him.' The centurion answered,
'Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof;
but only speak the word, and my servant will be healed.
For I also am a man under authority, with soldiers under
me; and I say to one, "Go", and he goes, and to another,
"Come", and he comes, and to my slave, "Do this", and the
slave does it.' When Jesus heard him, he was amazed and
said to those who followed him, 'Truly I tell you, in no
one in Israel have I found such faith. I tell you, many
will come from east and west and will eat with Abraham
and Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, while the
heirs of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer
darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of
teeth.' And to the centurion Jesus said, 'Go; let it be
done for you according to your faith.' And the servant
was healed in that hour.

For another Biblical reading,
Genesis 11:27-32

HYMN
Words: John Oxenham, 1908
Tune: McKee
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i236.html

In Christ there is no East or West,
in him no South or North,
but one great fellowship of love
throughout the whole wide earth.

In him shall true hearts everywhere
their high communion find,
his service is the golden cord
close-binding all mankind.

Join hands, disciples of the faith,
whate'er your race may be!
Who serves my Father as a son
is surely kin to me.

In Christ now meet both East and West,
in him meet South and North,
all Christly souls are one in him,
throughout the whole wide earth.

We pray for the use of God's gifts to his Church, saying
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy, hear us

God our Father,
you give us gifts that we may work together
in the service of your Son:
Bless those who lead,
that they may be firm in faith,
yet humble before you.
We pray especially for the people of the Diocese of North Mbale, Uganda.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who teach,
that they may increase our understanding,
and be open to your word for them:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who minister healing,
that they may bring wholeness to other,
yet know your healing in themselves:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those through whom you speak,
that they may proclaim your word in power,
yet have their ears open to your gentle whisper:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who work in your world today
that they may live for you, fulfil your purposes,
and seek your kingdom first
in the complexity of their daily lives.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who feel they have no gifts and are not valued,
and those who are powerless by the world's standards,
that they may share their experience
of the work of your Spirit.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Lord God,
in a threatening world
we look to you as our rock of hope.
Hear us as we pour out our hearts to you,
and give us your grace and protection;
through your Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God our redeemer,
who through the folly of the cross
taught your martyr Justin
the surpassing knowledge of Jesus Christ:
remove from us every kind of error
that we, like him, may be firmly grounded in the faith,
and make your name known to all peoples;

Gather your people from the ends of the earth
to feast with all your saints
at the table in your kingdom,
where the new creation is brought to perfection
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

prayers in _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession is from  _Patterns for Worship_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 1995.

Justin was born around 100 (both his birth and death dates are approximate) at
Flavia Neapolis (ancient Shechem, modern Nablus) in Samaria (the middle
portion of Israel, between Galilee and Judea) of pagan Greek parents. He was
brought up with a good education in rhetoric, poetry, and history. He studied
various schools of philosophy in Alexandria and Ephesus , joining himself first
to Stoicism, then Pythagoreanism, then Platonism, looking for answers to his
questions. While at Ephesus, he was impressed by the steadfastness of the
Christian martyrs, and by the personality of an aged Christian man whom he
met by chance while walking on the seashore. This man spoke to him about
Jesus as the fulfilment of the promises made through the Jewish prophets.
Justin was overwhelmed. "Straightway a flame was kindled in my soul," he
writes, "and a love of the prophets and those who are friends of Christ
possessed me." Justin became a Christian, but he continued to wear the cloak
that was the characteristic uniform of the professional teacher of philosophy.
His position was that pagan philosophy, especially Platonism, is not simply
wrong, but is a partial grasp of the truth, and serves as "a schoolmaster to
bring us to Christ." He engaged in debates and disputations with
non-Christians of all varieties, pagans, Jews, and heretics. He opened a school
of Christian philosophy and accepted students, first at Ephesus and then later at
Rome. There he engaged the Cynic philosopher Crescens in debate, and soon
after was arrested on the charge of practicing an anauthorized religion. (It is
suggested that Crescens lost the debate and denounced Justin to the authorities
out of spite.) He was tried before the Roman prefect Rusticus, refused to
renounce Christianity, and was put to death by beheading along with six of his
students, one of them a woman. A record of the trial, probably authentic, is
preserved, known as The Acts of Justin the Martyr. [James Kiefer]