OREMUS: 28 May 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri May 27 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, May 28, 2005

Blessed are you, Almighty God,
creator of the world and everything in it,
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
He is the peace between us,
and has broken down the barrier of hostility.
He has made us one new humanity
and reconciled us to you by the cross:
you chose us all in Christ to praise his glory.

Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous;*
 it is good for the just to sing praises.
Praise the Lord with the harp;*
 play to him upon the psaltery and lyre.
Sing for him a new song;*
 sound a fanfare with all your skill upon the trumpet.
For the word of the Lord is right,*
 and all his works are sure.
He loves righteousness and justice;*
 the loving-kindness of the Lord fills the whole earth.
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made,*
 by the breath of his mouth all the heavenly hosts.
He gathers up the waters of the ocean
   as in a water-skin*
 and stores up the depths of the sea.
Let all the earth fear the Lord;*
 let all who dwell in the world stand in awe of him.
For he spoke and it came to pass;*
 he commanded and it stood fast.
The Lord brings the will of the nations to naught;*
 he thwarts the designs of the peoples.
But the Lord's will stands fast for ever,*
 and the designs of his heart from age to age.
Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord!*
 happy the people he has chosen to be his own!
The Lord looks down from heaven,*
 and beholds all the people in the world.
>From where he sits enthroned he turns his gaze*
 on all who dwell on the earth.
He fashions all the hearts of them*
 and understands all their works.
There is no king that can be saved by a mighty army;*
 the strong are not delivered by great strength.nbsp;
The horse is a vain hope for deliverance;*
 for all its strength it cannot save.
Behold, the eye of the Lord
   is upon those who fear him,*
 on those who wait upon his love,
To pluck their lives from death,*
 and to feed them in time of famine.
Our soul waits for the Lord;*
 he is our help and our shield.
Indeed, our heart rejoices in him,*
 for in his holy name we put our trust.
Let your loving-kindness, O Lord, be upon us,*
 as we have put our trust in you.

A Song of God's Love (1 John 4:7-11,12b)
Beloved, let us love one another,
for love is of God;
everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.

Whoever does not love does not know God,
for God is love.

In this the love of God was revealed among us,
that God sent his only Son into the world,
so that we might live through him.

In this is love,
not that we loved God but that he loved us,
and sent his Son to be the expiation for our sins.

Beloved, since God loved us so much,
we ought also to love one another.

For if we love one another, God abides in us,
and God's love will be perfected in us.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Luke 8:4-15]:

When a great crowd gathered and people from town after
town came to him, he said in a parable: 'A sower went out
to sow his seed; and as he sowed, some fell on the path
and was trampled on, and the birds of the air ate it up.
Some fell on the rock; and as it grew up, it withered for
lack of moisture. Some fell among thorns, and the thorns
grew with it and choked it. Some fell into good soil, and
when it grew, it produced a hundredfold.' As he said
this, he called out, 'Let anyone with ears to hear
listen!'
Then his disciples asked him what this parable meant. He
said, 'To you it has been given to know the secrets of
the kingdom of God; but to others I speak in parables, so
that
"looking they may not perceive,
   and listening they may not understand."

'Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
The ones on the path are those who have heard; then the
devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so
that they may not believe and be saved. The ones on the
rock are those who, when they hear the word, receive it
with joy. But these have no root; they believe only for a
while and in a time of testing fall away. As for what
fell among the thorns, these are the ones who hear; but
as they go on their way, they are choked by the cares and
riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not
mature. But as for that in the good soil, these are the
ones who, when they hear the word, hold it fast in an
honest and good heart, and bear fruit with patient
endurance.

For another Biblical reading,
Ruth 2:1-20a

HYMN
Words: William St Hill Bourne, 1874
Tune: St. Beatrice
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t351.html

The sower went forth sowing,
the seed in secret slept
through weeks of faith and patience,
till our the green blade crept;
and warmed by golden sunshine
and fed by silver rain,
at last the fields were whitened
to harvest once again.
O praise the heavenly Sower,
who gave the fruitful seed,
and watched and watered duly,
and ripened for our need.

Behold the heavenly Sower
goes forth with better seed,
the word of sure salvation,
with feet and hands that bleed;
here in his Church 'tis scattered,
our spirits are the soil;
then let an ample fruitage
repay his pain and toil.
O beauteous is the harvest
wherein all goodness thrives!
And this the true thanksgiving--
the first fruits of our lives.

Within a hallowed acre
he sows yet other grain,
when peaceful earth receiveth
the dead he died to gain;
for though the growth be hidden,
we know that they shall ripen
in sunny Paradise.
O summer land of harvest,
O fields for ever white
with souls that wear Christ's raiment,
with crowns of golden light!

Loving God, in Jesus Christ you teach us to pray:

Guide us by your Holy Spirit
that our prayers for others may serve your will
and show your steadfast love for all.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Gracious God,
you have called together a people
to be the Church of Jesus Christ,
founded on the apostles.
Hear our prayer for the Diocese of
North Kigezi, Uganda, The Rt Revd Edward Muhima, Bishop.
May your people be one in faith and discipleship,
breaking bread together and telling good news.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

May the world come to believe that you are love,
turn to your ways and live in the light of your truth.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

You made all things and called them good.
May your planet earth be held in reverence by all people,
that its resources may be used wisely
and its fragile balance between life and death respected.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Hear our prayers for those who rule the nations,
that they may learn wisdom and truth,
establish justice and mercy
and seek the ways of peace.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Feed your people, O Lord,
with your holy Word
and free us from the temptations
which lead us away from you
that, being filled with your mercy,
we may be admitted to your holy presence;

Draw your Church together, O God,
into one great company of disciples,
together following our Lord Jesus Christ
into every walk of life,
together serving him in his mission to the world,
and together witnessing to his love. Amen.

The psalms, the collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

prayers in _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer in _The Book of Common
Worship. The Presbyterian Church in Canada_, 1991. Used with