OREMUS: 26 May 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed May 25 23:43:08 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, May 26, 2005
Corpus Christi

Most merciful Lord,
your love compels us to come in.
Our hands were unclean,
our hearts were unprepared;
we were not fit even to eat the crumbs from under your table.
But you, Lord, are the God of our salvation,
and share your bread with sinners,
cleansing and feeding us
with the precious Body and Blood of your Son,
that he may live in us and we in him;
and that we, with the whole company of Christ,
may sit and eat in your kingdom.

The Lord is my shepherd;*
 I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures*
 and leads me beside still waters.
He revives my soul*
 and guides me along right pathways for his name's sake.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
   I shall fear no evil;*
 for you are with me;
   your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You spread a table before me
   in the presence of those who trouble me;*
 you have anointed my head with oil,
   and my cup is running over.
Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me
   all the days of my life,*
 and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Psalm 42

As the deer longs for the water-brooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holy-day.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his loving-kindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

A Song of David (1 Chronicles 29:10b-13,14b)

Blessed are you, God of Israel, for ever and ever,
for yours is the greatness, the power,
the glory, the splendour and the majesty.

Everything in heaven and on earth is yours;
yours is the kingdom, O Lord
and you are exalted as head over all.

Riches and honour come from you
and you rule over all.

In your hand are power and might;
yours it is to give power and strength to all.

And now we give you thanks, our God,
and praise your glorious name.

For all things come from you,
and of your own have we given you.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [1 Corinthians 10:1-17]:

I do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters,
that our ancestors were all under the cloud, and all
passed through the sea, and all were baptized into Moses
in the cloud and in the sea, and all ate the same
spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink.
For they drank from the spiritual rock that followed
them, and the rock was Christ. Nevertheless, God was not
pleased with most of them, and they were struck down in
the wilderness.
Now these things occurred as examples for us, so that we
might not desire evil as they did. Do not become
idolaters as some of them did; as it is written, 'The
people sat down to eat and drink, and they rose up to
play.' We must not indulge in sexual immorality as some
of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in a single
day. We must not put Christ to the test, as some of them
did, and were destroyed by serpents. And do not complain
as some of them did, and were destroyed by the destroyer.
These things happened to them to serve as an example, and
they were written down to instruct us, on whom the ends
of the ages have come. So if you think you are standing,
watch out that you do not fall. No testing has overtaken
you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and
he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but
with the testing he will also provide the way out so that
you may be able to endure it.
Therefore, my dear friends, flee from the worship of
idols. I speak as to sensible people; judge for
yourselves what I say. The cup of blessing that we bless,
is it not a sharing in the blood of Christ? The bread
that we break, is it not a sharing in the body of Christ?
Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body,
for we all partake of the one bread.

For another Biblical reading,
Deuteronomy 8:2-16

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (c)
Tune: St. Thomas (Wade), Pange lingua
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w544.html

With the body that was broken,
to the body who proclaim,
by the blood that is life's token,
for the life found in his name:
so the Word-made-flesh has spoken,
and his presence here we claim.

In the cross of Christ confiding,
by the cross we bear as sign,
through the Spirit's gifts and guiding,
with these gifts of bread and wine:
so the church in faith abiding
keeps the feast Christ made divine.

Fed by breaking and outpouring,
joined in breaking-forth of praise,
given the peace of God's restoring,
sent in peace to live always:
so we show forth our adoring
as God's servants all our days.

Let us remember with thanksgiving
the gracious gifts of our God,
who feeds us and sustains us in all our days.

You feed your Church
through the continual grace of the sacraments.
Keep us faithful to our calling
to continue in the apostles' teaching and fellowship,
in the breaking of bread,
and in the prayers.
Generous God of mercy,
hear our prayer.

You sustain your Church throughout the world
with the sacrament of your Body and Blood.
Send us out into the world to proclaim
by word and example the Good News of God in Christ.
Generous God of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Your living Word calls us to hunger and thirst for righteousness.
Help us to overcome divisions and prejudice,
that we may strive for justice and peace among all people,
and respect the dignity of every human being.
Generous God of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Faithful God,
you have made a covenant with your people
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
who offered his Body and Blood for us:
Grant that we who receive Christ in these holy mysteries
may also reverence him in the needy of the world
and by lives dedicated to the service of that kingdom,
where he lives and reigns for ever and ever. Amen.

May the Father, who fed his children
with bread and honey in the wilderness,
strengthen us in our pilgrimage to the Promised Land. Amen.

prayers in _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The intercession is by Stephen Benner.

The collect is by Stephen Benner and uses phrases from two prayers in
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_. (c)
International Commission on English in the Liturgy, 1997.

Hymn  (c) 1989 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com