OREMUS: 25 May 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue May 24 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, May 25, 2005
The Venerable Bede, Monk at Jarrow, Scholar, Historian, 735

Blessed are you, Almighty God,
creator of the world and everything in it,
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
He is the peace between us,
and has broken down the barrier of hostility.
He has made us one new humanity
and reconciled us to you by the cross:
you chose us all in Christ to praise his glory.

I waited patiently upon the Lord;*
 he stooped to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the desolate pit,
   out of the mire and clay;*
 he set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
   a song of praise to our God;*
 many shall see and stand in awe
   and put their trust in the Lord.
Happy are they who trust in the Lord!*
 they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God!
   how great your wonders and your plans for us!*
 there is none who can be compared with you.
O that I could make them known and tell them!*
 but they are more than I can count.
In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure*
 you have given me ears to hear you;
Burnt-offering and sin-offering you have not required,*
 and so I said, 'Behold, I come.
'In the roll of the book it is written concerning me:*
 "I love to do your will, O my God;
 your law is deep in my heart."'
I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation;*
 behold, I did not restrain my lips;
 and that, O Lord, you know.
Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart;
   I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance;*
 I have not concealed your love and faithfulness
   from the great congregation.
You are the Lord;
   do not withhold your compassion from me;*
 let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever,
For innumerable troubles have crowded upon me;
   my sins have overtaken me and I cannot see;*
 they are more in number than the hairs of my head,
   and my heart fails me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let them be ashamed and altogether dismayed
   who seek after my life to destroy it;*
 let them draw back and be disgraced
   who take pleasure in my misfortune.
Let those who say 'Aha!' and gloat over me be confounded,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice in you and be glad;*
 let those who love your salvation continually say,
   'Great is the Lord!'
Though I am poor and afflicted,*
 the Lord will have regard for me.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 do not tarry, O my God.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55:6-11)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;

Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;

Return to the Lord,
who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.

'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways', says the Lord.

'For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

'As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,

'Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,

'So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,

'But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Proverbs 11:1-9]:

A false balance is an abomination to the LORD,
   but an accurate weight is his delight.
When pride comes, then comes disgrace;
   but wisdom is with the humble.
The integrity of the upright guides them,
   but the crookedness of the treacherous destroys them.
Riches do not profit in the day of wrath,
   but righteousness delivers from death.
The righteousness of the blameless keeps their ways straight,
   but the wicked fall by their own wickedness.
The righteousness of the upright saves them,
   but the treacherous are taken captive by their schemes.
When the wicked die, their hope perishes,
   and the expectation of the godless comes to nothing.
The righteous are delivered from trouble,
   and the wicked get into it instead.
With their mouths the godless would destroy their neighbours,
   but by knowledge the righteous are delivered.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Corinthians 9:1-14

HYMN
Words: The Venerable Bede (673-735);
trans. verses 1-2: Elizabeth Rundles Charles (1828-1896)
verse 3: Benjamin Webb (1819-1885).
Tune: Jam lucis orto sidere, Deo gracias
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a019.html

A hymn of glory let us sing,
new hymns throughout the world shall ring;
by a new way none ever trod
Christ takes his place--the throne of God!

You are a present joy, O Lord;
you will be ever our reward;
and great the light in you we see
to guide us to eternity.

O risen Christ, ascended Lord,
all praise to you let earth accord,
who are, while endless ages run,
with Father and with Spirit, One.

Creator God,
from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
we commend all your people
to your tender care and safekeeping.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Protect all who are work in mines, tend machinery,
or travel by land, sea or air.
Defend those in mortal danger because of evil surrounding them.
Fill every hospital and nursing home
with your spirit of healing and love.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Govern our nation and its leaders,
that all that mars our social life and causes misery may be relieved,
that each person may have access to work, homes, food and health care.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Break down the suspicions and fears that keep the nations apart.
Rebuke those who foster prejudice.
Teach us all to live together in the peace of Jesus Christ.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Grant to every member of your Church
especially the Diocese of  North East India,
The Rt Revd Purely Lyngdoh, Bishop,
the faith that removes obstacles,
the hope that makes all things new
and the love that brings deliverance,
that we more effectively serve you
and bring others to the knowledge of your truth.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

God our Savior,
hear our prayer for all who suffer at the hands of others,
and especially for those who suffer for the sake of justice.
Raise and comfort them,
and lead us all in the paths of loving service.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ the Lord. Amen.

We pray you, O God,
that as your Son gave to the Venerable Bede
grace to drink in with joy the Word
that gives knowledge of you;
so in your goodness, you will grant us
to come at length to yourself, the source of all wisdom,
and to stand before you for ever;

Draw your Church together, O God,
into one great company of disciples,
together following our Lord Jesus Christ
into every walk of life,
together serving him in his mission to the world,
and together witnessing to his love. Amen.

The psalms, the second collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

prayers in _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The intercession is adapted from _Prayers for Use in Church_, by
J.W.G. Masteron, (c) 1970, St. Andrew Press.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

Bede was a monk at the English monastery of Wearmouth and Jarrow, in
Northumbria. From the age of seven, he spent all his life at that monastery
except for a few brief visits to nearby sites. He says of himself: "I have devoted
my energies to a study of the Scriptures, observing monastic discipline, and
singing the daily services in church; study, teaching, and writing have always
been my delight."
He was the first person to write scholarly works in the English language,
although unfortunately only fragments of his English writings have survived.
He translated the Gospel of John into Old English, completing the work on the
very day of his death. He also wrote extensively in Latin. He wrote
commentaries on the Pentateuch and other portions of Holy Scripture. His
best-known work is his History of The English Church and People, a classic
which has frequently been translated and is available in Penguin Paperbacks. It
gives a history of Britain up to 729, speaking of the Celtic peoples who were
converted to Christianity during the first three centuries of the Christian era,
and the invasion of the Anglo-Saxon pagans in the fifth and sixth centuries, and
their subsequent conversion by Celtic missionaries from the north and west,
and Roman missionaries from the south and east. His work is our chief source
for the history of the British Isles during this period. Fortunately, Bede was
careful to sort fact from hearsay, and to tell us the sources of his information.
He also wrote hymns and other verse, the first martyrology with historical
notes, letters and homilies, works on grammar, on chronology and astronomy
-- he was aware that the earth is a sphere, and he is the first historian to date
events Anno Domini, and the earliest known writer to state that the solar year
is not exactly 365 and a quarter days long, so that the Julian calendar (one leap
year every four years) requires some adjusting if the months are not to get out
of step with the seasons. [James Kiefer]