OREMUS: 22 May 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat May 21 19:17:05 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, May 22, 2005
Trinity Sunday

Blessed are you, eternal and triune God,
whom we worship as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
In Jesus Christ you spoke the word
that brought the world into being.
By the Holy Spirit,
you brought order out of chaos
and breathed life into your creatures.
In parental love,
you stood by us in spite of our disobedience,
correcting us with gracious reproof,
and welcoming us again into your loving embrace.

May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble,*
 the name of the God of Jacob defend you;
Send you help from his holy place*
 and strengthen you out of Zion;
Remember all your offerings*
 and accept your burnt sacrifice;
Grant you your heart's desire*
 and prosper all your plans.
We will shout for joy at your victory
   and triumph in the name of our God;*
 may the Lord grant all your requests.
Now I know that the Lord gives victory
   to his anointed;*
 he will answer him out of his holy heaven,
   with the victorious strength of his right hand.
Some put their trust in chariots and some in horses,*
 but we will call upon the name of the Lord our God.
They collapse and fall down,*
 but we will arise and stand upright.
O Lord, give victory to the king*
 and answer us when we call.

Psalm 93

The Lord is king; he has put on splendid apparel;*
 the Lord has put on his apparel
   and girded himself with strength.
He has made the whole world so sure*
 that it cannot be moved;
Ever since the world began,
   your throne has been established;*
 you are from everlasting.
The waters have lifted up, O Lord,
   the waters have lifted up their voice;*
 the waters have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the sound of many waters,
   mightier than the breakers of the sea,*
 mightier is the Lord who dwells on high.
Your testimonies are very sure,*
 and holiness adorns your house, O Lord,
   for ever and for evermore.

Te Deum

We praise you, O God,
we acclaim you as the Lord;
all creation worships you,
the Father everlasting.
To you all angels, all the powers of heaven,
the cherubim and seraphim, sing in endless praise:
Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might,
heaven and earth are full of your glory.
The glorious company of apostles praise you.
The noble fellowship of prophets praise you.
The white-robed army of martyrs praise you.
Throughout the world the holy Church acclaims you:
Father, of majesty unbounded,
your true and only Son, worthy of all praise,
the Holy Spirit, advocate and guide.
You, Christ, are the King of glory,
the eternal Son of the Father.
When you took our flesh to set us free
you humbly chose the Virgin's womb.
You overcame the sting of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven to all believers.
You are seated at God's right hand in glory.
We believe that you will come and be our judge.
Come then, Lord, and help your people,
bought with the price of your own blood,
and bring us with your saints
to glory everlasting.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Genesis 1:1-2:4]:

In the beginning when God created the heavens and the
earth, the earth was a formless void and darkness covered
the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over
the face of the waters. Then God said, 'Let there be
light'; and there was light. And God saw that the light
was good; and God separated the light from the darkness.
God called the light Day, and the darkness he called
Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the
first day.

And God said, 'Let there be a dome in the midst of the
waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.'
So God made the dome and separated the waters that were
under the dome from the waters that were above the dome.
And it was so. God called the dome Sky. And there was
evening and there was morning, the second day.

And God said, 'Let the waters under the sky be gathered
together into one place, and let the dry land appear.'
And it was so. God called the dry land Earth, and the
waters that were gathered together he called Seas. And
God saw that it was good. Then God said, 'Let the earth
put forth vegetation: plants yielding seed, and fruit
trees of every kind on earth that bear fruit with the
seed in it.' And it was so. The earth brought forth
vegetation: plants yielding seed of every kind, and trees
of every kind bearing fruit with the seed in it. And God
saw that it was good. And there was evening and there was
morning, the third day.

And God said, 'Let there be lights in the dome of the sky
to separate the day from the night; and let them be for
signs and for seasons and for days and years, and let
them be lights in the dome of the sky to give light upon
the earth.' And it was so. God made the two great
lights the greater light to rule the day and the lesser
light to rule the night and the stars. God set them in
the dome of the sky to give light upon the earth, to rule
over the day and over the night, and to separate the
light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good.
And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth
day.

And God said, 'Let the waters bring forth swarms of
living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth
across the dome of the sky.' So God created the great sea
monsters and every living creature that moves, of every
kind, with which the waters swarm, and every winged bird
of every kind. And God saw that it was good. God blessed
them, saying, 'Be fruitful and multiply and fill the
waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.'
And there was evening and there was morning, the fifth
day.

And God said, 'Let the earth bring forth living creatures
of every kind: cattle and creeping things and wild
animals of the earth of every kind.' And it was so. God
made the wild animals of the earth of every kind, and the
cattle of every kind, and everything that creeps upon the
ground of every kind. And God saw that it was good.

Then God said, 'Let us make humankind in our image,
according to our likeness; and let them have dominion
over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air,
and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the
earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the
earth.'
So God created humankind in his image,
   in the image of God he created them;
   male and female he created them.
God blessed them, and God said to them, 'Be fruitful and
multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have
dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of
the air and over every living thing that moves upon the
earth.' God said, 'See, I have given you every plant
yielding seed that is upon the face of all the earth, and
every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them
for food. And to every beast of the earth, and to every
bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the
earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have
given every green plant for food.' And it was so. God saw
everything that he had made, and indeed, it was very
good. And there was evening and there was morning, the
sixth day.

Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all
their multitude. And on the seventh day God finished the
work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day
from all the work that he had done. So God blessed the
seventh day and hallowed it, because on it God rested
from all the work that he had done in creation.

These are the generations of the heavens and the earth
when they were created.

For another Biblical reading,
Ephesians 4:1-6,17-32

HYMN
Words: Alan Gaunt (c)
Tune: Donne secours
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/barrell/mb10.html

Eternal God, your love's tremendous glory
cascades through life in overflowing grace,
to tell creation's meaning in the story
of love evolving love from time and space.

Eternal Son of God, uniquely precious,
in you, deserted, scorned, crucified,
God's love has fathomed sin and death's deep darkness,
and flawed humanity is glorified.

Eternal Spirit, with us like a mother,
embracing us in love serene and pure:
you nurture strength to follow Christ our brother,
as full-grown children, confident and sure.

Love's trinity, self-perfect, self-sustaining;
love which commands, enables, and obeys:
you give yourself, in boundless joy, creating
one vast increasing harmony of praise.

We ask you now, complete your image in us;
this love of yours, our source and guide and goal.
May love in us seek love and serve love's purpose,
till we ascend with Christ and find love whole.

High and holy God,
robed in majesty,
Lord of heaven and earth,
we pray that you bring justice, faith
and salvation to all peoples.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

You chose us in Christ to be your people
and to be the temple of your Holy Spirit;
we pray that you will fill your Church with vision and hope.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Your Spirit enables us to cry, "Abba! Father!",
affirms that we are fellow-heirs with Christ
and pleads for us in our weakness;
we pray for all who are in need or distress.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

In the baptism and birth of Jesus,
you have opened heaven to us
and enabled us to share in your glory:
the joy of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
from before the world was made.
May your Church, living and departed,
come to a joyful resurrection in your city of light.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Almighty and everlasting God,
you have given to us your servants grace,
by the confession of a true faith,
to acknowledge the glory of the eternal Trinity,
and in the power of your divine Majesty to worship the Unity:
Keep us steadfast in this faith and worship,
and bring us at last to see you in your one and eternal glory,
O Father; who with the Son and the Holy Spirit
live and reign, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

O God our mystery,
you bring to life,
call us to freedom,
and move between us in love.
May we so participate
in your dance of trinity
that our lives may resonate with you,
now and for ever. Amen.

Hymn (c) 1991 by Stainer & Bell Ltd
(admin. by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL 60188.
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on a eucharistic prayer in
_Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John
Knox Press.

The intercession and the closing sentence are from _New Patterns for
Worship_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

of The Episcopal Church_.