OREMUS: 18 May 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue May 17 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Blessed are you, Sovereign God, creator of all,
to you be glory and praise for ever.
You founded the earth in the beginning
and the heavens are the work of your hands.
In the fullness of time you made us in your image,
and in these last days you have spoken to us
in your Son Jesus Christ, the Word made flesh.
As we rejoice in the gift of your presence among us
let the light of your love always shine in our hearts,
your Spirit ever renew our lives
and your praises ever be on our lips.

Give judgement for me, O Lord,
   for I have lived with integrity;*
 I have trusted in the Lord and have not faltered.
Test me, O Lord, and try me;*
 examine my heart and my mind.
For your love is before my eyes;*
 I have walked faithfully with you.
I have not sat with the worthless,*
 nor do I consort with the deceitful.
I have hated the company of evildoers;*
 I will not sit down with the wicked.
I will wash my hands in innocence, O Lord,*
 that I may go in procession round your altar,
Singing aloud a song of thanksgiving*
 and recounting all your wonderful deeds.
Lord, I love the house in which you dwell*
 and the place where your glory abides.
Do not sweep me away with sinners,*
 nor my life with those who thirst for blood,
Whose hands are full of evil plots,*
 and their right hand full of bribes.
As for me, I will live with integrity;*
 redeem me, O Lord, and have pity on me.
My foot stands on level ground;*
 in the full assembly I will bless the Lord.

Psalm 119:17-24

Deal bountifully with your servant,*
 that I may live and keep your word.
Open my eyes, that I may see*
 the wonders of your law.
I am a stranger here on earth;*
 do not hide your commandments from me.
My soul is consumed at all times*
 with longing for your judgements.
You have rebuked the insolent;*
 cursed are they who stray from your commandments!
Turn from me shame and rebuke,*
 for I have kept your decrees.
Even though rulers sit and plot against me,*
 I will meditate on your statutes.
For your decrees are my delight,*
 and they are my counsellors.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [1 Corinthians 5:6b-8]:

Do you not know that a little yeast leavens the whole
batch of dough? Clean out the old yeast so that you may
be a new batch, as you really are unleavened. For our
paschal lamb, Christ, has been sacrificed. Therefore, let
us celebrate the festival, not with the old yeast, the
yeast of malice and evil, but with the unleavened bread
of sincerity and truth.

For another Biblical reading,
Leviticus 23:23-44

HYMN
Words:  Martin Luther , 1524; trans. Richard Massie, 1854
Tune: Christ lag in Todesbanden
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c085.html

Christ Jesus lay in death's strong bands
for our offenses given;
but now at God's right hand he stands
and brings us life from heaven;
wherefore let us joyful be,
and sing to God right thankfully
loud songs of alleluia!
Alleluia!

It was a strange and dreadful strife
when life and death contended;
the victory remained with life,
the reign of death was ended;
stripped of power, no more it reigns,
an empty form alone remains;
death's sting is lost for ever!
Alleluia!

So let us keep the festival
where to the Lord invites us;
Christ is himself the joy of all,
the sun that warms and lights us;
by his grace he doth impart
eternal sunshine to the heart;
the night of sin is ended!
Alleluia!

Then let us feast this Easter day
on the true bread of heaven;
the word of grace hath purged away
the old and wicked leaven;
Christ alone our souls will feed,
he is our meat and drink indeed;
faith lives upon no other!

Creator God,
from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
we commend all your people
to your tender care and safekeeping.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Protect all who are work in mines, tend machinery,
or travel by land, sea or air.
Defend those in mortal danger because of evil surrounding them.
Fill every hospital and nursing home
with your spirit of healing and love.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Govern our nation and its leaders,
that all that mars our social life and causes misery may be relieved,
that each person may have access to work, homes, food and health care.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Break down the suspicions and fears that keep the nations apart.
Rebuke those who foster prejudice.
Teach us all to live together in the peace of Jesus Christ.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Grant to every member of your Church
especially the Diocese of  Niger Delta North, Nigeria,
The Rt Revd Ignatius Kattey, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Niger Delta West, Nigeria,
The Rt Revd Adoluphus Amabebe, Bishop,
the faith that removes obstacles,
the hope that makes all things new
and the love that brings deliverance,
that we more effectively serve you
and bring others to the knowledge of your truth.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

God of many wonders,
open our minds to a childlike contemplation
of the things of heaven
and so set us free from the world and our sins,
that we may possess the exuberance of life's morning,
the prime of a spiritual youth which knows no age,
growing to maturity in wisdom,
ever responsive to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.

O Lord our God,
grant us grace to desire you with our whole heart;
that so desiring, we may seek and find you;
and so finding, may love you;
and so loving, may hate those sins
from which you have delivered us;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving (slightly adapted) and the canticle are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer from _Chalice Worship_,
(c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The collect is by Stephen Benner, 2003, and is based on phrases from The
Teacher by Clement of Alexandria

The closing sentence is attributed to Saint Anselm and is from _Common
Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2000., 2002.