OREMUS: 17 May 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon May 16 20:09:03 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Blessed are you, Sovereign God, creator of all,
to you be glory and praise for ever.
You founded the earth in the beginning
and the heavens are the work of your hands.
In the fullness of time you made us in your image,
and in these last days you have spoken to us
in your Son Jesus Christ, the Word made flesh.
As we rejoice in the gift of your presence among us
let the light of your love always shine in our hearts,
your Spirit ever renew our lives
and your praises ever be on our lips.

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.
What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

A Song of Peace (Isaiah 2:3-5)

Come, let us go up to the mountain of God,
to the house of the God of Jacob;

That God may teach us his ways,
and that we may walk in his paths.

For the law shall go out from Zion,
and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.

God shall judged between the nations,
and shall mediate for many peoples.

They shall beat their swords into ploughshares,
and their spears into pruning hooks.

Nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
neither shall they learn war any more.

O people of Jacob, come:
let us walk in the light of the Lord.

READING [1 Corinthians 4:14-21]:

I am not writing this to make you ashamed, but to
admonish you as my beloved children. For though you might
have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have
many fathers. Indeed, in Christ Jesus I became your
father through the gospel. I appeal to you, then, be
imitators of me. For this reason I sent you Timothy, who
is my beloved and faithful child in the Lord, to remind
you of my ways in Christ Jesus, as I teach them
everywhere in every church. But some of you, thinking
that I am not coming to you, have become arrogant. But I
will come to you soon, if the Lord wills, and I will find
out not the talk of these arrogant people but their
power. For the kingdom of God depends not on talk but on
power. What would you prefer? Am I to come to you with a
stick, or with love in a spirit of gentleness?

For another Biblical reading,
Leviticus 23:1-22

HYMN
Words: Albert Midlane, 1860
Tune: St. Michael, Carlisle
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/r/r053.html

Revive thy work, O Lord,
thy mighty arm make bare;
speak with the voice that wakes the dead,
and make thy people hear.

Revive thy work, O Lord,
disturb this sleep of death;
quicken the smold'ring embers now
by thine almighty breath.

Revive thy work, O Lord,
create soul-thirst for thee;
and hung'ring for the Bread of Life
O may our spirits be.

Revive thy work, O Lord,
exalt thy precious Name;
and, by the Holy Ghost, our love
for thee and thine inflame.

Revive thy work, O Lord,
give pentecostal show'rs;
the glory shall be all thine own,
the blessing, Lord, be ours.

Lord Jesus,
born in pain, struggling towards life, fighting for breath;
born in shame,
born to the threat of Herod's sword;
fleeing to another country, another home;
wrapped in a young girl's love, placed in a borrowed bed;
We pray for those we know and love;
for all who suffer pain of body or anguish of mind;
for all who struggle to live, to live well, to live better;
for all who burn with shame,
for all who face threat and danger,
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

We pray for war-ravaged countries and refugees;
for the starving poor;
for battered wives and abused children;
for the homeless, for the mentally ill;
for those who struggle with disability.
Strengthen us to work for peace on the earth
and peace with the earth.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

We pray for the Church,
especially the Diocese of Nicaragua, The Rt Revd Sturdie Downs, Bishop.
Keep us faithful that we may bear faithful witness in word and work
to your presence among us.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are alone.
May our love reach out to the lonely and broken-hearted,
the bereaved, and all for whom life has become something to be endured.
May we open our minds, hearts and homes to those around us.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

And we pray for our own needs:
seeking the grace of your presence,
firming our resolve to behave as we believe;
seeking your courage to reconcile, heal and make new;
seeking a sure vision of your coming kingdom.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

Faithful God,
the shelter of all who hope in you,
may those who seek your face
be set free from fear and distress,
and come to see your goodness
in the land of the living;
through Jesus Christ, our Light and our Salvation. Amen.

O Lord our God,
grant us grace to desire you with our whole heart;
that so desiring, we may seek and find you;
and so finding, may love you;
and so loving, may hate those sins
from which you have delivered us;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving (slightly adapted) and the canticle are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by David Bromell.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing sentence is attributed to Saint Anselm and is from _Common
Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2000., 2002.