OREMUS: 11 May 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue May 10 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation,
to you be praise and glory for ever.
Your living Word brings light out of darkness
and daily your Spirit renews the face of the earth.
Christ, the true Lamb, his passion accomplished,
has been raised to the right hand of your majesty on high.
The pioneer of our faith has opened the way to heaven
and sends on us your promised Spirit.
Pour upon us the riches of your grace
that we, the first fruits of your new creation,
may bring forth the fruits of the Spirit
and reveal your glory in all the world.

Ascribe to the Lord, you gods,*
 ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due to his name;*
 worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters;
   the God of glory thunders;*
 the Lord is upon the mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is a powerful voice;*
 the voice of the Lord is a voice of splendour.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees;*
 the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon;
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,*
 and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord splits the flames of fire;
   the voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;*
 the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord makes the oak trees writhe*
 and strips the forests bare.
And in the temple of the Lord*
 all are crying, 'Glory!'
The Lord sits enthroned above the flood;*
 the Lord sits enthroned as king for evermore.
The Lord shall give strength to his people;*
 the Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace.

Psalm 123

To you I lift up my eyes,*
 to you enthroned in the heavens.
As the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters,*
 and the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress,
So our eyes look to the Lord our God,*
 until he show us his mercy.
Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy,*
 for we have had more than enough of contempt,
Too much of the scorn of the indolent rich,*
 and of the derision of the proud.

Psalm 128

Happy are they all who fear the Lord,*
 and who follow in his ways!
You shall eat the fruit of your labour;*
 happiness and prosperity shall be yours.
Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine
   within your house,*
 your children like olive shoots round about your table.
Whoever fears the Lord*
 shall thus indeed be blessed.
The Lord bless you from Zion,*
 and may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem
   all the days of your life.
May you live to see your children's children;*
 may peace be upon Israel.

Glory and Honor (Revelation 4:11; 5:9b)

You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honour and power.

For you have created all things,
and by your will they have their being.

You are worthy, O Lamb, for you were slain,
and by your blood you ransomed for God
saints from every tribe and language and nation.

You have made them to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God,
and they will reign with you on earth.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [1 Corinthians 3:9-17]:

For we are God's servants, working together; you are
God's field, God's building.
According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled
master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is
building on it. Each builder must choose with care how to
build on it. For no one can lay any foundation other than
the one that has been laid; that foundation is Jesus
Christ. Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold,
silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw  the work of
each builder will become visible, for the Day will
disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and
the fire will test what sort of work each has done. If
what has been built on the foundation survives, the
builder will receive a reward. If the work is burned, the
builder will suffer loss; the builder will be saved, but
only as through fire.
Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's
Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God's temple,
God will destroy that person. For God's temple is holy,
and you are that temple.

For another Biblical reading,
Wisdom 9:13-end

HYMN
Words: (c) Marnie Barrell
Tune: Ton-y-Botel, Nettleton, Blaenwern, Hyfrydol, Abbot's Leigh
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/barrell/mb16.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/barrell/mb16.html

Great and deep the Spirit's purpose,
hidden now in mystery;
Nature bursts with joyful promise,
ripe with what is yet to be.
In a wealth of rich invention,
still the work of art unfolds -
barely have we seen, and faintly,
what God's great salvation holds.

Great and deep the Spirit's purpose
making Jesus seen and heard.
Every age of God's creation
grasps new meanings from the Word.
Show us, Holy Spirit, show us
your new work begun today;
eyes and ears and hearts are open,
teach us what to do and say.

Great and deep the Spirit's purpose
all God's children brought to birth,
freed from hunger, fear and evil
every corner of the earth.
And a million million voices
speak with joy the Saviour's name;
every face reflects his image,
never any two the same.

Great and deep the Spirit's purpose
nothing shall be left to chance.
All that lives will be united
in the everlasting dance.
All fulfilled and all perfected,
each uniquely loved and known,
Christ in glory unimagined
once for all receives his own.

Christ has gathered the church in unity through the Spirit.
With sure hope, let us pray.

Maker of all things,
in the beginning you created heaven and earth.
In the fullness of time, you restored all things in Christ.
Renew our world, in this day, with your grace and mercy.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Life of the world,
you breathed life into the flesh you created.
Now, by your Spirit, breathe new life into the children of earth.
Turn hatred into love, sorrow into joy, and war into peace.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Lover of concord,
you desire the unity of all Christians.
Set aflame the whole Church with the fire of your Spirit.
We pray for the Diocese of Chicago, The Rt Revd William Dailey Persell, Bishop.
Unite us to stand in the world as a sign of your love.
Lord, hear our prayer.

God of compassion,
through your Spirit you supply every human need.
Heal the sick, and comfort the distressed.
Befriend the friendless, and help the helpless.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Source of peace,
your Spirit restores our anxious spirits.
In our labor, give us rest;
in our temptation, strength;
in our sadness, consolation.
Lord, hear our prayer.

God our Creator,
earth has many languages,
but your gospel proclaims your love to all nations
in one heavenly tongue:
Make us messengers of the good news
that, through the power of your Spirit,
all the world may unite in one song of praise;
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving (adapted) and the canticle are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

This hymn is reproduced here with the kind permission of the author; if you
wish to reproduce it further, please apply for permission by sending her an
email.

The first collect is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.

The closing sentence are from in _New Patterns for Worship_,