OREMUS: 6 May 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu May 5 22:41:44 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, May 6, 2005

Blessed are you, almighty God,
through Jesus Christ the King of glory.
Born of a woman,
he came to our rescue.
Dying for us,
he trampled death and conquered sin.
By the glory of his resurrection
he opened the way to life eternal
and by his ascension,
gave us the sure hope
that where he is we may also be.

Lord, you have searched me out and known me;*
 you know my sitting down and my rising up;
   you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeys and my resting-places*
 and are acquainted with all my ways.
Indeed, there is not a word on my lips,*
 but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You press upon me behind and before*
 and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;*
 it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
Where can I go then from your Spirit?*
 where can I flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there;*
 if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning*
 and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me*
 and your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will cover me,*
 and the light around me turn to night',
Darkness is not dark to you;
   the night is as bright as the day;*
 darkness and light to you are both alike.
For you yourself created my inmost parts;*
 you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I will thank you because I am marvellously made;*
 your works are wonderful and I know it well.
My body was not hidden from you,*
 while I was being made in secret
   and woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;
   all of them were written in your book;*
 they were fashioned day by day,
   when as yet there was none of them.
How deep I find your thoughts, O God!*
 how great is the sum of them!
If I were to count them,
   they would be more in number than the sand;*
 to count them all,
   my life span would need to be like yours.
Search me out, O God, and know my heart;*
 try me and know my restless thoughts.
Look well whether there be any wickedness in me*
 and lead me in the way that is everlasting.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3:16; 6:15-16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.

He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.

Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.

This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,

Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.

To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

READING [Ephesians 4:7-16]:

But each of us was given grace according to the measure
of Christ's gift. Therefore it is said,
'When he ascended on high he made captivity itself a
captive;
   he gave gifts to his people.'
(When it says, 'He ascended', what does it mean but that
he had also descended into the lower parts of the earth?
He who descended is the same one who ascended far above
all the heavens, so that he might fill all things.) The
gifts he gave were that some would be apostles, some
prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, to
equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building
up the body of Christ, until all of us come to the unity
of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to
maturity, to the measure of the full stature of Christ.
We must no longer be children, tossed to and fro and
blown about by every wind of doctrine, by people's
trickery, by their craftiness in deceitful scheming. But
speaking the truth in love, we must grow up in every way
into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the
whole body, joined and knitted together by every ligament
with which it is equipped, as each part is working
properly, promotes the body's growth in building itself
up in love.

For another Biblical reading,
Jeremiah 31:31-34

HYMN
Words: Edwin Hatch, 1878
Tune: Trentham
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b185.html

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
fill me with life anew,
that I may love what thou dost love,
and do what thou wouldst do.

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
until my heart is pure,
until my will is one with thine,
to do and to endure.

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
till I am wholly thine,
until this earthly part of me
glows with thy fire divine.

Breathe on me, Breath of God,
so shall I never die;
but live with thee the perfect life
of thine eternity.

Come, Holy Spirit, Creator,
and renew the earth.
Come, Holy Spirit, come.

Come, Holy Spirit, Counselor,
and touch our lips that we may proclaim your Word.
Come, Holy Spirit, come.

Come, Holy Spirit, power from on high,
make us channels of peace and ministers of healing.
Come, Holy Spirit, come.

Come, Holy Spirit, Breath of God,
give life to the dry bones around us,
and make us a living people, holy and free.
Come, Holy Spirit, come.

Come, Holy Spirit, Wisdom and Truth,
strengthen us to be bold in faith.
Come, Holy Spirit, come.

God our Creator,
earth has many languages,
but your gospel proclaims your love to all nations
in one heavenly tongue:
Make us messengers of the good news
that, through the power of your Spirit,
all the world may unite in one song of praise;
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Common
WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council,
2000.

The intercession (response by Stephen Benner) and the closing sentence are
from in _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The first collect is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.