OREMUS: 5 May 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed May 4 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, May 5, 2005
The Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Blessed are you, almighty God,
through Jesus Christ the King of glory.
Born of a woman,
he came to our rescue.
Dying for us,
he trampled death and conquered sin.
By the glory of his resurrection
he opened the way to life eternal
and by his ascension,
gave us the sure hope
that where he is we may also be.

 I will tell of all your marvellous works.
I will be glad and rejoice in you;*
 I will sing to your name, O Most High.
When my enemies are driven back,*
 they will stumble and perish at your presence.
For you have maintained my right and my cause;*
 you sit upon your throne judging right.
You have rebuked the ungodly and destroyed the wicked;*
 you have blotted out their name for ever and ever.
As for the enemy, they are finished, in perpetual ruin,*
 their cities ploughed under,
   the memory of them perished;
But the Lord is enthroned for ever;*
 he has set up his throne for judgement.
It is he who rules the world with righteousness;*
 he judges the peoples with equity.
The Lord will be a refuge for the oppressed,*
 a refuge in time of trouble.
Those who know your name will put their trust in you,*
 for you never forsake those who seek you, O Lord.
Sing praise to the Lord who dwells in Zion;*
 proclaim to the peoples the things he has done.
The avenger of blood will remember them;*
 he will not forget the cry of the afflicted.
Have pity on me, O Lord;*
 see the misery I suffer from those who hate me,
   O you who lift me up from the gate of death;
So that I may tell of all your praises
   and rejoice in your salvation*
 in the gates of the city of Zion.
The ungodly have fallen into the pit they dug,*
 and in the snare they set is their own foot caught.
The Lord is known by his acts of justice;*
 the wicked are trapped in the works of their own hands.
The wicked shall be given over to the grave,*
 and also all the peoples that forget God.
For the needy shall not always be forgotten,*
 and the hope of the poor shall not perish for ever.
Rise up, O Lord,
   let not the ungodly have the upper hand;*
 let them be judged before you.
Put fear upon them, O Lord;*
 let the ungodly know they are but mortal.

Psalm 110:1-5

The Lord said to my lord, 'Sit at my right hand,*
 until I make your enemies your footstool.'
The Lord will send the sceptre of your power
   out of Zion,*
 saying, 'Rule over your enemies round about you.
'Princely state has been yours
   from the day of your birth,*
 in the beauty of holiness have I begotten you,
   like dew from the womb of the morning.'
The Lord has sworn and he will not recant:*
 'You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.'

A Song of Tobit (Tobit 13:1,3-6a)

Blessed be God, who lives for ever,
whose reign endures throughout all ages.

Declare God's praise before the nations,
you who are the children of Israel.

For if our God has scattered you among them,
there too has he shown you his greatness.

Exalt him in the sight of the living,
because he is our Lord and God and our Father for ever.

Though God punishes you for your wickedness,
mercy will be shown to you all.

God will gather you from every nation,
from wherever you have been scattered.

When you turn to the Lord
with all your heart and soul,
God will hide his face from you no more.

See what the Lord has done for you
and give thanks with a loud voice.

Praise the Lord of righteousness
and exalt the King of the ages.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Revelation 5]:

Then I saw in the right hand of the one seated on the
throne a scroll written on the inside and on the back,
sealed with seven seals; and I saw a mighty angel
proclaiming with a loud voice, 'Who is worthy to open the
scroll and break its seals?' And no one in heaven or on
earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll or
to look into it. And I began to weep bitterly because no
one was found worthy to open the scroll or to look into
it. Then one of the elders said to me, 'Do not weep. See,
the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has
conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven
seals.'
Then I saw between the throne and the four living
creatures and among the elders a Lamb standing as if it
had been slaughtered, having seven horns and seven eyes,
which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the
earth. He went and took the scroll from the right hand of
the one who was seated on the throne. When he had taken
the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four
elders fell before the Lamb, each holding a harp and
golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of
the saints. They sing a new song:
'You are worthy to take the scroll
   and to open its seals,
for you were slaughtered and by your blood you ransomed
for God
   saints from every tribe and language and people and
nation;
you have made them to be a kingdom and priests serving
our God,
   and they will reign on earth.'

Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels
surrounding the throne and the living creatures and the
elders; they numbered myriads of myriads and thousands of
thousands, singing with full voice,
'Worthy is the Lamb that was slaughtered
to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might
and honour and glory and blessing!'
Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and
under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them,
singing,
'To the one seated on the throne and to the Lamb
be blessing and honour and glory and might
for ever and ever!'
And the four living creatures said, 'Amen!' And the
elders fell down and worshipped.

For another Biblical reading,
Daniel 7:9-14

HYMN
Words: Latin, fifth century; trans. John Mason Neale
Tune: Deus tuorum militum
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/e/e051.html

Eternal Monarch, King most high,
whose blood hath brought redemption nigh,
by whom the death of Death was wrought,
and conquering Grace's battle fought.

Ascending to the throne of might,
and seated at the Father's right,
all power in heaven is Jesus' own,
that here his manhood had not known.

That so, in nature's triple frame,
each heavenly and each earthly name,
and things in hell's abyss abhorred,
may bend the knee and own him Lord.

Yea, angels tremble when they see
how changed is our humanity;
that flesh hath purged what flesh had stained,
and God, the flesh of God, hath reigned.

Be thou our joy and strong defense,
who art our future recompense:
so shall the light that springs from thee
be ours through all eternity.

O risen Christ, ascended Lord,
all praise to thee let earth accord,
who art, while endless ages run,
with Father and with Spirit one.

Let us seek the Father's blessing and the gifts of the Spirit,
praying through Christ our Lord
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, Great High Priest, ever living to intercede for us,
pray for the Church, your broken body in the world,
remembering especially today the Diocese of Nevada, USA,
The Rt Revd Katherine Jefferts Schori, Bishop.
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, King of righteousness,
enthroned at the right hand of the majesty on high,
pray for the world, and subject it to your gentle rule...
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, Son of Man, drawing humanity into the life of God,
pray for your brothers and sisters in need, distress or sorrow...
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, Pioneer of our salvation, bringing us to glory
through your death and resurrection,
surround with your saints and angels
those who have died trusting in your promises....
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit.

Jesus Christ, Lord over all things,
ascending far above the heavens and filling the universe,
pray for us who receive the gifts you give for work in your service...
Lord Jesus Christ, pray to the Father
Lord, send us your Spirit..

Almighty God,
your Son Jesus Christ ascended to the throne of heaven
that he might rule over all things as Lord
Keep the church in the unity of the Spirit
and in the bond of peace,
and bring all creation to worship at his feet,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Rejoicing in God's new creation,

May Christ, our ascended King,
pour upon us the abundance of his gifts
and bring us to reign with him in glory. Amen.

_Common WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession is from _Enriching the Christian Year_  SPCK,
compilation (c)Michael Perham 1993.

Westminster / John Knox Press.