OREMUS: 1 April 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Mar 31 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, April 1, 2005
Friday in Easter Week

Blessed are you, eternal God;
we praise you that your glory has dawned upon us
that the grave could not hold your Son,
who has conquered death
and risen to rule over all the powers of this earth.
He summons us to new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness,
that all that we have may show forth his love.

 sing to the Lord, all the whole earth.
Sing to the Lord and bless his name;*
 proclaim the good news of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations*
 and his wonders among all peoples.
For great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 he is more to be feared than all gods.
As for all the gods of the nations, they are but idols;*
 but it is the Lord who made the heavens.
O the majesty and magnificence of his presence!*
 O the power and the splendour of his sanctuary!
Ascribe to the Lord, you families of the peoples;*
 ascribe to the Lord honour and power.
Ascribe to the Lord the honour due to his name;*
 bring offerings and come into his courts.
Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness;*
 let the whole earth tremble before him.
Tell it out among the nations: 'The Lord is king!*
 he has made the world so firm that it cannot be moved;
   he will judge the peoples with equity.'
Let the heavens rejoice and let the earth be glad;
   let the sea thunder and all that is in it;*
 let the field be joyful and all that is therein.
Then shall all the trees of the wood shout for joy
   before the Lord when he comes,*
 when he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness*
 and the peoples with his truth.

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

A Song of Solomon (cf. Song of Songs 8:6-7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;

For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.

Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.

If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

READING [Daniel 3:1,4-6,8,12-18]:

King Nebuchadnezzar made a golden statue whose height was
sixty cubits and whose width was six cubits; he set it up
on the plain of Dura in the province of Babylon. the
herald proclaimed aloud, 'You are commanded, O peoples,
nations, and languages, that when you hear the sound of
the horn, pipe, lyre, trigon, harp, drum, and entire
musical ensemble, you are to fall down and worship the
golden statue that King Nebuchadnezzar has set up.
Whoever does not fall down and worship shall immediately
be thrown into a furnace of blazing fire.'
Accordingly, at this time certain Chaldeans came forward
and denounced the Jews. There are certain Jews whom you
have appointed over the affairs of the province of
Babylon: Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. These pay no
heed to you, O king. They do not serve your gods and they
do not worship the golden statue that you have set
up.'
Then Nebuchadnezzar in furious rage commanded that
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego be brought in; so they
brought those men before the king. Nebuchadnezzar said to
them, 'Is it true, O Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego,
that you do not serve my gods and you do not worship the
golden statue that I have set up? Now if you are ready
when you hear the sound of the horn, pipe, lyre, trigon,
harp, drum, and entire musical ensemble to fall down and
worship the statue that I have made, well and good. But
if you do not worship, you shall immediately be thrown
into a furnace of blazing fire, and who is the god that
will deliver you out of my hands?'
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego answered the king, 'O
Nebuchadnezzar, we have no need to present a defence to
you in this matter. If our God whom we serve is able to
deliver us from the furnace of blazing fire and out of
your hand, O king, let him deliver us. But if not, be it
known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods
and we will not worship the golden statue that you have
set up.'

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 4:13-21

HYMN
Words: George R. Woodward (1848-1934), 1894
Tune: Vruechten
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t557.html

This joyful Eastertide,
away with care and sorrow!
My Love, the Crucified,
hath sprung to life this morrow.
Refrain:
Had Christ, that once was slain,
ne'er burst his three-day prison,
our faith had been in vain;
but now is Christ arisen,
arisen, arisen, arisen.

Death's flood hath lost its chill,
since Jesus crossed the river:
Lover of souls, from ill
my passing soul deliver, Refrain

My flesh in hope shall rest,
and for a season slumber,
till trump from east to west
shall wake the dead in number. Refrain

In joy and hope we pray.

That our risen Savior may fill us with the joy
of his glorious and life-giving resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That isolated and persecuted churches
may find fresh strength in the good news of Easter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the Church in the Diocese of Canberra & Goulburn,
Australia, The Rt Revd George Victor Browning, Bishop.
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may grant us humility
to be subject to one another in Christian love:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may help us to provide for those
who lack food, work or shelter:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That by God's power we may bring
wars and famine to cease through all the world:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may strengthen us to be his presence
to the sick, the weak and the dying:
Lord, hear our prayer.

That God may send upon us the fire of the Holy Spirit,
that we may be faithful witness to his resurrection:
Lord, hear our prayer.

Almighty Father,
who gave your only Son to die for our sins
and to rise for our justification:
Give us grace so to put away
the leaven of malice and wickedness,
that we may always serve you
in pureness of living and truth;

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

of The Episcopal Church_.

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.