OREMUS: 31 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Mar 30 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, March 31, 2005
Thursday in Easter Week

Blessed are you, eternal God;
we praise you that your glory has dawned upon us
that the grave could not hold your Son,
who has conquered death
and risen to rule over all the powers of this earth.
He summons us to new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness,
that all that we have may show forth his love.

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram's-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

READING [Daniel 2:31-49]:

Daniel said, 'You were looking, O king, and lo! there was
a great statue. This statue was huge, its brilliance
extraordinary; it was standing before you, and its
appearance was frightening. The head of that statue was
of fine gold, its chest and arms of silver, its middle
and thighs of bronze, its legs of iron, its feet partly
of iron and partly of clay. As you looked on, a stone was
cut out, not by human hands, and it struck the statue on
its feet of iron and clay and broke them in pieces. Then
the iron, the clay, the bronze, the silver, and the gold,
were all broken in pieces and became like the chaff of
the summer threshing-floors; and the wind carried them
away, so that not a trace of them could be found. But the
stone that struck the statue became a great mountain and
filled the whole earth.
'This was the dream; now we will tell the king its
interpretation. You, O king, the king of kings to whom
the God of heaven has given the kingdom, the power, the
might, and the glory, into whose hand he has given human
beings, wherever they live, the wild animals of the
field, and the birds of the air, and whom he has
established as ruler over them all you are the head of
gold. After you shall arise another kingdom inferior to
yours, and yet a third kingdom of bronze, which shall
rule over the whole earth. And there shall be a fourth
kingdom, strong as iron; just as iron crushes and smashes
everything, it shall crush and shatter all these. As you
saw the feet and toes partly of potter's clay and partly
of iron, it shall be a divided kingdom; but some of the
strength of iron shall be in it, as you saw the iron
mixed with the clay. As the toes of the feet were part
iron and part clay, so the kingdom shall be partly strong
and partly brittle. As you saw the iron mixed with clay,
so will they mix with one another in marriage, but they
will not hold together, just as iron does not mix with
clay. And in the days of those kings the God of heaven
will set up a kingdom that shall never be destroyed, nor
shall this kingdom be left to another people. It shall
crush all these kingdoms and bring them to an end, and it
shall stand for ever; just as you saw that a stone was
cut from the mountain not by hands, and that it crushed
the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver, and the gold.
The great God has informed the king what shall be
hereafter. The dream is certain, and its interpretation
trustworthy.'
Then King Nebuchadnezzar fell on his face, worshipped
Daniel, and commanded that a grain-offering and incense
be offered to him. The king said to Daniel, 'Truly, your
God is God of gods and Lord of kings and a revealer of
mysteries, for you have been able to reveal this
mystery!' Then the king promoted Daniel, gave him many
great gifts, and made him ruler over the whole province
of Babylon and chief prefect over all the wise men of
Babylon. Daniel made a request of the king, and he
appointed Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego over the
affairs of the province of Babylon. But Daniel remained
at the king's court.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 4:1-12

HYMN
Words: ascribed to Wipo, ca. 1030;
trans. The English Hymnal, 1906
Tune: Victimae paschali laudes
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c134.html

Christians, to the Paschal victim
offer your thankful praises!

A lamb the sheep redeemeth:
Christ, who only is sinless,
reconcileth sinners to the Father.

Death and life have contended
in that combat stupendous:
the Prince of life, who died,
reigns immortal.

Speak, Mary, declaring
what thou sawest, wayfaring:

"The tomb of Christ, who is living,
the glory of Jesus' resurrection;

"Bright angels attesting,
the shroud and napkin resting.

"Yea, Christ my hope is arisen;
to Galilee he will go before you."

Christ indeed from death is risen,
our new life obtaining;
have mercy, victor King, ever reigning!
Amen.

O Christ, in your resurrection,
the heavens and the earth rejoice:
Alleluia!

By your resurrection you broke open the gates of hell,
and destroyed sin and death.
Keep us victorious over sin.

By your resurrection you raised the dead,
and brought us from death to life.
Guide us in the way of eternal life.

By your resurrection you confounded your guards and executioners,
and filled the disciples with joy.
Give us joy in your service.

By your resurrection you proclaimed good news to the women and apostles,
and brought salvation to the whole world.
Direct our lives as your new creation.

By your resurrection you give new life to your people, the Church.
We pray especially for the Church in Cameroon.
Send us out to do the work you have given us to do.

Almighty and everlasting God,
who in the Paschal mystery established
the new covenant of reconciliation:
Grant that all who have been reborn
into the fellowship of Christ's Body
 may show forth in their lives
what they profess by their faith;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press with one additional petition by Stephen
Benner.

of The Episcopal Church_.

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.