OREMUS: 30 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Mar 29 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, March 30, 2005
Wednesday in Easter Week

Blessed are you, eternal God;
we praise you that your glory has dawned upon us
that the grave could not hold your Son,
who has conquered death
and risen to rule over all the powers of this earth.
He summons us to new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness,
that all that we have may show forth his love.

The Lord is king; let the people tremble;*
 he is enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth shake.
The Lord is great in Zion;*
 he is high above all peoples.
Let them confess his name, which is great and awesome;*
 he is the Holy One.
'O mighty King, lover of justice,
   you have established equity;*
 you have executed justice and righteousness in Jacob.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and fall down before his footstool;*
 he is the Holy One.
Moses and Aaron among his priests,
   and Samuel among those who call upon his name,*
 they called upon the Lord and he answered them.
He spoke to them out of the pillar of cloud;*
 they kept his testimonies
   and the decree that he gave them.
'O Lord our God, you answered them indeed;*
 you were a God who forgave them,
   yet punished them for their evil deeds.'
Proclaim the greatness of the Lord our God
   and worship him upon his holy hill;*
 for the Lord our God is the Holy One.

Psalm 118

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.
Let Israel now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let the house of Aaron now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let those who fear the Lord now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
I called to the Lord in my distress;*
 the Lord answered by setting me free.
The Lord is at my side, therefore I will not fear;*
 what can anyone do to me?
The Lord is at my side to help me;*
 I will triumph over those who hate me.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in flesh.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in rulers.
All the ungodly encompass me;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They hem me in, they hem me in on every side;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They swarm about me like bees;
   they blaze like a fire of thorns;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
I was pressed so hard that I almost fell,*
 but the Lord came to my help.
The Lord is my strength and my song,*
 and he has become my salvation.
There is a sound of exultation and victory*
 in the tents of the righteous:
'The right hand of the Lord has triumphed!*
 the right hand of the Lord is exalted!
   the right hand of the Lord has triumphed!'
I shall not die, but live,*
 and declare the works of the Lord.
The Lord has punished me sorely,*
 but he did not hand me over to death.
Open for me the gates of righteousness;*
 I will enter them; I will offer thanks to the Lord.
'This is the gate of the Lord;*
 whoever is righteous may enter.'
I will give thanks to you, for you answered me*
 and have become my salvation.
The same stone which the builders rejected*
 has become the chief corner-stone.
This is the Lord's doing,*
 and it is marvellous in our eyes.
On this day the Lord has acted;*
 we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Hosanna, Lord, hosanna!*
 Lord, send us now success.
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord;*
 we bless you from the house of the Lord.
God is the Lord; he has shined upon us;*
 form a procession with branches
   up to the horns of the altar.
'You are my God and I will thank you;*
 you are my God and I will exalt you.'
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-4,18-21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!

By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you.

Who are being protected by the power of God
through faith for a salvation,
ready to be revealed in the last time.

You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold

But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.

Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Daniel 2:17-30]:

Then Daniel went to his home and informed his companions,
Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, and told them to seek
mercy from the God of heaven concerning this mystery, so
that Daniel and his companions with the rest of the wise
men of Babylon might not perish. Then the mystery was
revealed to Daniel in a vision of the night, and Daniel
blessed the God of heaven.
Daniel said:
'Blessed be the name of God from age to age,
   for wisdom and power are his.
He changes times and seasons,
   deposes kings and sets up kings;
he gives wisdom to the wise
   and knowledge to those who have understanding.
He reveals deep and hidden things;
   he knows what is in the darkness,
   and light dwells with him.
To you, O God of my ancestors,
   I give thanks and praise,
for you have given me wisdom and power,
   and have now revealed to me what we asked of you,
   for you have revealed to us what the king ordered.'

Therefore Daniel went to Arioch, whom the king had
appointed to destroy the wise men of Babylon, and said to
him, 'Do not destroy the wise men of Babylon; bring me in
before the king, and I will give the king the
interpretation.'
Then Arioch quickly brought Daniel before the king and
said to him: 'I have found among the exiles from Judah a
man who can tell the king the interpretation.' The king
said to Daniel, whose name was Belteshazzar, 'Are you
able to tell me the dream that I have seen and its
interpretation?' Daniel answered the king, 'No wise men,
enchanters, magicians, or diviners can show to the king
the mystery that the king is asking, but there is a God
in heaven who reveals mysteries, and he has disclosed to
King Nebuchadnezzar what will happen at the end of days.
Your dream and the visions of your head as you lay in bed
were these: To you, O king, as you lay in bed, came
thoughts of what would be hereafter, and the revealer of
mysteries disclosed to you what is to be. But as for me,
this mystery has not been revealed to me because of any
wisdom that I have more than any other living being, but
in order that the interpretation may be known to the king
and that you may understand the thoughts of your mind.'

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 3:11-26

HYMN
Words: Symphonia Sirenum Selectarum, 1695;
trans. Francis Pott (1832-1909)
Tune: Victory
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t368.html

Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
The strife is o'er, the battle done,
the victory of life is won;
the song of triumph has begun.
Alleluia!

Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
The powers of death have done their worst,
but Christ their legions hath dispersed:
let shout of holy joy outburst.
Alleluia!

Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
The three sad days are quickly sped,
he rises glorious from the dead:
all glory to our risen Head!
Alleluia!

Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
He closed the yawning gates of hell,
the bars from heaven's high portals fell;
let hymns of praise his triumphs tell!
Alleluia!

Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia!
Lord! by the stripes which wounded thee,
from death's dread sting thy servants free,
that we may live and sing to thee.

To Christ, the Lamb who was slain,
and who now lives in the glory of the Father,
let us raise the voice of praise, saying:
Lord, have mercy.

Lord Jesus, you are the Amen, the faithful witness,
the first of God's creation:
Lord, have mercy

You are Alpha and Omega,
the one who is, and was, and who is to come:
Lord, have mercy

You search into the thoughts and affections
of all people:
Lord, have mercy

You reprove and chasten
those whom you love:
Lord, have mercy

You open the eyes of the blind
and set the prisoners free:
Lord, have mercy

In your paschal victory,
you have proclaimed the coming of the kingdom:
Lord, have mercy

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
California, USA, The Rt Revd William Edwin Swing, Bishop.
Lord, have mercy

O God,
whose blessed Son made himself known to his disciples
in the breaking of bread:
Open the eyes of our faith,
that we may behold him in all his redeeming work;
who lives and reigns with you,

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

The psalms, the intercession and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

of The Episcopal Church_.

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.