OREMUS: 29 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Mar 28 17:04:23 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, March 29, 2005
Tuesday in Easter Week

Blessed are you, eternal God;
we praise you that your glory has dawned upon us
that the grave could not hold your Son,
who has conquered death
and risen to rule over all the powers of this earth.
He summons us to new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness,
that all that we have may show forth his love.

Sing to the Lord a new song,*
 for he has done marvellous things.
With his right hand and his holy arm*
 has he won for himself the victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;*
 his righteousness has he openly shown
   in the sight of the nations.
He remembers his mercy and faithfulness
   to the house of Israel,*
 and all the ends of the earth have seen
   the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands;*
 lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.
Sing to the Lord with the harp,*
 with the harp and the voice of song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn*
 shout with joy before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it,*
 the lands and those who dwell therein.
Let the rivers clap their hands,*
 and let the hills ring out with joy before the Lord,
   when he comes to judge the earth.
In righteousness shall he judge the world,*
 and the peoples with equity.

Psalm 116

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

READING [Daniel 2:1-16]:

In the second year of Nebuchadnezzar's reign,
Nebuchadnezzar dreamed such dreams that his spirit was
troubled and his sleep left him. So the king commanded
that the magicians, the enchanters, the sorcerers, and
the Chaldeans be summoned to tell the king his dreams.
When they came in and stood before the king, he said to
them, 'I have had such a dream that my spirit is troubled
by the desire to understand it.' The Chaldeans said to
the king (in Aramaic), 'O king, live for ever! Tell your
servants the dream, and we will reveal the
interpretation.' The king answered the Chaldeans, 'This
is a public decree: if you do not tell me both the dream
and its interpretation, you shall be torn limb from limb,
and your houses shall be laid in ruins. But if you do
tell me the dream and its interpretation, you shall
receive from me gifts and rewards and great honour.
Therefore tell me the dream and its interpretation.' They
answered a second time, 'Let the king first tell his
servants the dream, then we can give its interpretation.'
The king answered, 'I know with certainty that you are
trying to gain time, because you see I have firmly
decreed: if you do not tell me the dream, there is but
one verdict for you. You have agreed to speak lying and
misleading words to me until things take a turn.
Therefore, tell me the dream, and I shall know that you
can give me its interpretation.' The Chaldeans answered
the king, 'There is no one on earth who can reveal what
the king demands! In fact no king, however great and
powerful, has ever asked such a thing of any magician or
enchanter or Chaldean. The thing that the king is asking
is too difficult, and no one can reveal it to the king
except the gods, whose dwelling is not with mortals.'
Because of this the king flew into a violent rage and
commanded that all the wise men of Babylon be destroyed.
The decree was issued, and the wise men were about to be
executed; and they looked for Daniel and his companions,
to execute them. Then Daniel responded with prudence and
discretion to Arioch, the king's chief executioner, who
had gone out to execute the wise men of Babylon; he asked
Arioch, the royal official, 'Why is the decree of the
king so urgent?' Arioch then explained the matter to
Daniel. So Daniel went in and requested that the king
give him time and he would tell the king the
interpretation.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 3:1-10

HYMN
Words: Alan Gaunt (c)
Tune: Donne secours
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/e/e047.html

Eternal God, your love's tremendous glory
cascades through life in overflowing grace,
to tell creation's meaning in the story
of love evolving love from time and space.

Eternal Son of God, uniquely precious,
in you, deserted, scorned, crucified,
God's love has fathomed sin and death's deep darkness,
and flawed humanity is glorified.

Eternal Spirit, with us like a mother,
embracing us in love serene and pure:
you nurture strength to follow Christ our brother,
as full-grown children, confident and sure.

Love's trinity, self-perfect, self-sustaining;
love which commands, enables, and obeys:
you give yourself, in boundless joy, creating
one vast increasing harmony of praise.

We ask you now, complete your image in us;
this love of yours, our source and guide and goal.
May love in us seek love and serve love's purpose,
till we ascend with Christ and find love whole.

On this day that the Lord has made, let us give God the glory
and pray for the people he has redeemed.

That we may live as those who believe
in the triumph of the cross:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

For your Church, we pray, O Lord, especially
the Diocese of Minnesota, USA, The Rt Revd James Louis Jelinek, Bishop.

That all people may receive the good news of his victory:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those born to new life in the waters of baptism
may know the power of his resurrection:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those who suffer pain and anguish may find healing and peace
in the wounds of Christ:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That in the undying love of Christ,
we may have union with all who have died:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

Let us join our voices with the saints in proclaiming
that Christ has given us the victory:

Lord,
you shared the limits of our life
to save us from the snares of death;
may we have the courage to walk before you
in the land of the living,
and witness to your presence before all the people;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

The psalms, the intercession and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The canticle and the collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.