OREMUS: 28 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Mar 27 21:44:49 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, March 28, 2005
Monday in Easter Week

Blessed are you, eternal God;
we praise you that your glory has dawned upon us
that the grave could not hold your Son,
who has conquered death
and risen to rule over all the powers of this earth.
He summons us to new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness,
that all that we have may show forth his love.

The Lord is king; let the earth rejoice;*
 let the multitude of the isles be glad.
Clouds and darkness are round about him,*
 righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of his throne.
A fire goes before him*
 and burns up his enemies on every side.
His lightnings light up the world;*
 the earth sees it and is afraid.
The mountains melt like wax
   at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
The heavens declare his righteousness,*
 and all the peoples see his glory.
Confounded be all who worship carved images
   and delight in false gods!*
 Bow down before him, all you gods.
Zion hears and is glad and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements, O Lord.
For you are the Lord: most high over all the earth;*
 you are exalted far above all gods.
The Lord loves those who hate evil;*
 he preserves the lives of his saints
   and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.
Light has sprung up for the righteous,*
 and joyful gladness for those who are true-hearted.
Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous,*
 and give thanks to his holy name.

Psalm 115

Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
   but to your name give glory;*
 because of your love and because of your faithfulness.
Why should the heathen say,*
 'Where then is their God?'
Our God is in heaven;*
 whatever he wills to do he does.
Their idols are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see;
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 noses, but they cannot smell;
They have hands, but they cannot feel;
   feet, but they cannot walk;*
 they make no sound with their throat.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
O Israel, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
O house of Aaron, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
The Lord has been mindful of us and he will bless us;*
 he will bless the house of Israel;
   he will bless the house of Aaron;
He will bless those who fear the Lord,*
 both small and great together.
May the Lord increase you more and more,*
 you and your children after you.
May you be blessed by the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
The heaven of heavens is the Lord's,*
 but he entrusted the earth to its peoples.
The dead do not praise the Lord,*
 nor all those who go down into silence;
But we will bless the Lord,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
   Alleluia!

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26;22.1,2b,2d,3b-4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.

And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it,
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.

By its light the nations shall walk,
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.

Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night;
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.

I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal,
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month,
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.

The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him;
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

for ever and ever. Amen.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Daniel 1:1-21]:

In the third year of the reign of King Jehoiakim of
Judah, King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon came to Jerusalem
and besieged it. The Lord let King Jehoiakim of Judah
fall into his power, as well as some of the vessels of
the house of God. These he brought to the land of Shinar,
and placed the vessels in the treasury of his gods.
Then the king commanded his palace master Ashpenaz to
bring some of the Israelites of the royal family and of
the nobility, young men without physical defect and
handsome, versed in every branch of wisdom, endowed with
knowledge and insight, and competent to serve in the
king's palace; they were to be taught the literature and
language of the Chaldeans. The king assigned them a daily
portion of the royal rations of food and wine. They were
to be educated for three years, so that at the end of
that time they could be stationed in the king's court.
Among them were Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah,
from the tribe of Judah. The palace master gave them
other names: Daniel he called Belteshazzar, Hananiah he
called Shadrach, Mishael he called Meshach, and Azariah
he called Abednego.
But Daniel resolved that he would not defile himself with
the royal rations of food and wine; so he asked the
palace master to allow him not to defile himself. Now God
allowed Daniel to receive favour and compassion from the
palace master. The palace master said to Daniel, 'I am
afraid of my lord the king; he has appointed your food
and your drink. If he should see you in poorer condition
than the other young men of your own age, you would
endanger my head with the king.' Then Daniel asked the
guard whom the palace master had appointed over Daniel,
Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah: 'Please test your
servants for ten days. Let us be given vegetables to eat
and water to drink. You can then compare our appearance
with the appearance of the young men who eat the royal
rations, and deal with your servants according to what
you observe.' So he agreed to this proposal and tested
them for ten days. At the end of ten days it was observed
that they appeared better and fatter than all the young
men who had been eating the royal rations. So the guard
continued to withdraw their royal rations and the wine
they were to drink, and gave them vegetables. To these
four young men God gave knowledge and skill in every
aspect of literature and wisdom; Daniel also had insight
into all visions and dreams.
At the end of the time that the king had set for them to
be brought in, the palace master brought them into the
presence of Nebuchadnezzar, and the king spoke with them.
And among them all, no one was found to compare with
Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah; therefore they
were stationed in the king's court. In every matter of
wisdom and understanding concerning which the king
inquired of them, he found them ten times better than all
the magicians and enchanters in his whole kingdom. And
Daniel continued there until the first year of King
Cyrus.

For another Biblical reading,
Acts 2:14,22-41

HYMN
Words: Archer Thompson Gurney, 1862
Tune: Resurrexit
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c071.html

Christ is risen! Christ is risen!
He hath burst his bonds in twain;
Christ is risen! Christ is risen!
Alleluia! swell the strain!
For our gain he suffered loss
by divine decree;
he hath die upon the cross,
but our God is he.
Refrain:
Christ is risen! Christ is risen!
He hath burst his bonds in twain;
Christ is risen! Christ is risen!
Alleluia! swell the strain!

See the chains of death are broken;
earth below and heaven above
joy in each amazing token
of his rising, Lord of love;
he for evermore shall reign
by the Father's side,
till he comes to earth again,
come to claim his Bride. Refrain

Glorious angels downward thronging
hail the Lord of all the skies;
heaven, with joy and holy longing
for the Word Incarnate, cries,
"Sun and stars and earth rejoice!
Christ is risen again!
All creation find a voice;
he o'er all shall reign." Refrain

O Sun of righteousness,
you came forth from the dark night of death.
May you rise also in our hearts,
and enable us to contemplate the glories
of this sacred mystery,
that we may praise and glorify you for ever.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Prince of Life,
you take away the old leaven of malice and evil
that we may always walk with you and serve you:
Abide continually with us,
that in everything we do we may not forget the joy of your resurrection.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Paschal Lamb, offered for all,
you have taken away the sin of the world
and by rising again you have restored to us everlasting life.
Send laborers into the harvest
to proclaim the life you offer to those who believe.
We pray especially for
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Conqueror of death and captain of our salvation,
you overcame the darkness of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven for all believers.
We thank you for those saints whom you have already led
through death to life in the glory of heaven.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

We pray for your Church throughout the world, especially
the Diocese of Minna, Nigeria, The Rt Revd Nathaniel Yisa, Bishop,
and the Diocese of Yola, Nigeria,
The Rt Revd Christian Ogochukwu Efobi, Bishop.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

Grant, we pray, Almighty God,
that we who celebrate with awe the Paschal feast
may be found worthy to attain to everlasting joys;

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press with one additional petition by Stephen
Benner.

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.