OREMUS: 27 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Mar 26 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, April 11, 2005
Easter Day

Blessed are you, God our Father!
How good it is on this day of joy
to lift our glad songs of praise to you,
Redeemer of the lost.
You planted your steadfast love
in the gardens of creation
but we ate the bitter fruit
of idolatry and sin.
Prophets came in your name,
bringing your gracious word,
but we could not hear them call our name.
When we were about to perish,
when we could have died,
you sent the One
who would bear that threat away.

Holy are you, God of Easter,
and blessed is Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior,
sent by you to bring us salvation.
Your right hand,
he releases us from death's grip;
walking through
the darkness of death,
he leads us into
the Kingdom's light;
confounding the practitioners of evil,
he did good for others;
humbling himself to experience
our pain and suffering,
he is raised to rule over all.

Christ has died,
 but death does not have the final word;
Christ is risen,
and Easter begins for us
when Christ calls us by name;
Christ will come again
and lead us into your glory.

Through Christ,
glory and honor, praise and thanksgiving
are yours, God of new life,
with the Holy Spirit in your holy people
on this first day of the week
and all the days to come.

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

   When Israel came out of Egypt,*
 the house of Jacob from a people of strange speech,
Judah became God's sanctuary*
 and Israel his dominion.
The sea beheld it and fled;*
 Jordan turned and went back.
The mountains skipped like rams,*
 and the little hills like young sheep.
What ailed you, O sea, that you fled?*
 O Jordan, that you turned back?
You mountains, that you skipped like rams?*
 you little hills like young sheep?
Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the God of Jacob,
Who turned the hard rock into a pool of water*
 and flint-stone into a flowing spring.

The Song of Moses and Miriam (Exodus 15.1b-3,6,10,13,17

I will sing to the Lord, who has triumphed gloriously,
the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea.
The Lord is my strength and my song
and has become my salvation.
This is my God whom I will praise,
the God of my forebears whom I will exalt.
The Lord is a warrior,
the Lord is his name.
Your right hand, O Lord, is glorious in power:
your right hand, O Lord, shatters the enemy.
At the blast of your nostrils, the sea covered them;
they sank as lead in the mighty waters.
In your unfailing love, O Lord,
you lead the people whom you have redeemed.
And by your invincible strength
you will guide them to your holy dwelling.
You will bring them in and plant them, O Lord,
in the sanctuary which your hands have established.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [1 Corinthians 5:6b-8]:

Your boasting is not a good thing. Do you not know that a
little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough? Clean out
the old yeast so that you may be a new batch, as you
really are unleavened. For our paschal lamb, Christ, has
been sacrificed. Therefore, let us celebrate the
festival, not with the old yeast, the yeast of malice and
evil, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and
truth.

For another Biblical reading,
Isaiah 25:6-9

HYMN
Words: Michael Weisse (1480-1534), 1531;
trans. Catherine Winkworth (1827-1878), 1858
Tune: Wrttemberg, Orientis partibus
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c100.html

Christ the Lord is risen again!
Christ hath broken every chain!
Hark! angelic voices cry,
singing evermore on high,
Alleluia!

He who gave for us his life,
who for us endured the strife,
is our Paschal Lamb today;
we too sing for joy, and say:
Alleluia!

He who bore all pain and loss
comfortless upon the cross
lives in glory now on high,
pleads for us, and hears our cry;
Alleluia!

He who slumbered in the grave
is exalted now to save;
through the universe it rings
that the Lamb is King of kings:
Alleluia!

Now he bids us tell abroad
how the lost may be restored,
how the penitent forgiven,
how we too may enter heaven.
Alleluia!

Thou, our Paschal Lamb indeed,
Christ, thy ransomed people feed;
take our sins and guilt away,
that we all may sing for aye

Christ is risen indeed and walks among us.
Therefore, in confidence, let us pray:

O Christ, the joy of all, the Sun that warms and lights us:
give us hope founded in the knowledge of your resurrection:
The Lord is risen indeed.

O Christ, you came to save all who believe:
may we work for the unity of your body, the Church.
The Lord is risen indeed.

O Christ, you created us in your image:
help us to overcome our prejudices and see you in those around us:
The Lord is risen indeed.

O Christ, you know our sufferings and our needs:
hear our prayers for those whose journey in this life is difficult:
The Lord is risen indeed.

O Christ,  we give thanks that you overcame death's strong bands:
remember those who have died with faith in the power of your resurrection:
The Lord is risen indeed.

Glorious Lord of life,
by the mighty resurrection of your Son
you overcame the old order of sin and death
to make all things new in him:
Grant that we who celebrate with joy
Christ's rising from the dead
may be raised from the death of sin to the life of righteousness;
through him who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Westminster / John Knox Press.

The intercession is (c) Stephen T. Benner, 2000.

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer by Thom
Shuman.