OREMUS: 26 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Mar 25 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, March 26, 2005
Holy Saturday
(for use before the Vigil)

Silent prayer

Psalm 142

I cry to the Lord with my voice;*
 to the Lord I make loud supplication.
I pour out my complaint before him*
 and tell him all my trouble.
When my spirit languishes within me, you know my path;*
 in the way wherein I walk they have hidden a trap for me.
I look to my right hand and find no one who knows me;*
 I have no place to flee to and no one cares for me.
I cry out to you, O Lord;*
 I say, 'You are my refuge,
   my portion in the land of the living.'
Listen to my cry for help,
   for I have been brought very low;*
 save me from those who pursue me,
   for they are too strong for me.
Bring me out of prison,
   that I may give thanks to your name;*
 when you have dealt bountifully with me,
   the righteous will gather around me.

READING [1 John 5:5-12]:

Who is it that conquers the world but the one who
believes that Jesus is the Son of God? This is the one
who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ, not with the
water only but with the water and the blood. And the
Spirit is the one that testifies, for the Spirit is the
truth. There are three that testify: the Spirit and the
water and the blood, and these three agree. If we receive
human testimony, the testimony of God is greater; for
this is the testimony of God that he has testified to his
Son. Those who believe in the Son of God have the
testimony in their hearts. Those who do not believe in
God have made him a liar by not believing in the
testimony that God has given concerning his Son. And this
is the testimony: God gave us eternal life, and this life
is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does
not have the Son of God does not have life.

For another Biblical reading,
Micah 7:14-20

HYMN
Words: Thomas Whytehead, 1842
Tune: Redhead
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/r/r044.html

Resting from his work today
in the tomb the Savior lay;
still he slept, from head to feet
shrouded in the winding-sheet,
lying in the rock alone,
hidden by the sealed stone.

Late at even there was seen
watching long the Magdalene;
early, ere the break of day,
sorrowful she took her way
to the holy garden glade,
where her buried Lord was laid.

So with thee, till life shall end,
I would solemn vigil spend;
let me hew thee, Lord, a shrine
in this rocky heart of mine,
where in pure embalmed cell
none but thou may ever dwell.

Myrrh and spices will I bring,
true affection's offering;
close the door from sight and sound
of the busy world around;
and in patient watch remain
till my Lord appear again.

In the midst of life we are in death;
from whom can we seek help?
>From you alone, O Lord,
who by our sins are justly angered.

Holy God, Holy and Mighty,
Holy and merciful Savior,
deliver us not into the bitterness of eternal death.

Lord, you know the secrets of our hearts;
shut not your ears to our prayers,
but spare us, O Lord.

Holy God, Holy and Mighty,
Holy and merciful Savior,
deliver us not into the bitterness of eternal death.

O worthy and eternal Judge,
do not let the pains of death
turn us away from you at our last hour.

Holy God, Holy and Mighty,
Holy and merciful Savior,
deliver us not into the bitterness of eternal death.

O God, we carry in our own bodies
the death of the Lord Jesus,
that likewise we might manifest his life:
let not our spiritual foe prevail against us,
but with the morning light
raise us up from the sleep of sin and death;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross,
we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Christ Jesus humbled himself for us,
and in obedience accepted death,
even death on a cross.
Therefore God has raised him to the heights
and given him the name
which is above all other names.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer (adapted) are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The intercession is from The Book of Common Prayer According to the
Use of The Episcopal Church_.