OREMUS: 25 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Mar 24 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, March 25, 2005
Good Friday

Silent prayer

Psalm 130

Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
   Lord, hear my voice;*
 let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss,*
 O Lord, who could stand?
For there is forgiveness with you;*
 therefore you shall be feared.
I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him;*
 in his word is my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord,
   more than the night-watch for the morning,*
 more than the night-watch for the morning.
O Israel, wait for the Lord,*
 for with the Lord there is mercy;
With him there is plenteous redemption,*
 and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

Psalm 143

Lord, hear my prayer,
   and in your faithfulness heed my supplications;*
 answer me in your righteousness.
Enter not into judgement with your servant,*
 for in your sight shall no one living be justified.
For my enemy has sought my life
   and has crushed me to the ground;*
 making me live in dark places
   like those who are long dead.
My spirit faints within me;*
 my heart within me is desolate.
I remember the time past;
   I muse upon all your deeds;*
 I consider the works of your hands.
I spread out my hands to you;*
 my soul gasps to you like a thirsty land.
O Lord, make haste to answer me; my spirit fails me;*
 do not hide your face from me
   or I shall be like those who go down to the Pit.
Let me hear of your loving-kindness in the morning,
   for I put my trust in you;*
 show me the road that I must walk,
   for I lift up my soul to you.
Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord,*
 for I flee to you for refuge.
Teach me to do what pleases you, for you are my God;*
 let your good Spirit lead me on level ground.
Revive me, O Lord, for your name's sake;*
 for your righteousness' sake, bring me out of trouble.

READING [Colossians 1:18-23a]:

Jesus Christ is the head of the body, the church; he is
the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that he
might come to have first place in everything. For in him
all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through
him God was pleased to reconcile to himself all things,
whether on earth or in heaven, by making peace through
the blood of his cross.
And you who were once estranged and hostile in mind,
doing evil deeds, he has now reconciled in his fleshly
body through death, so as to present you holy and
blameless and irreproachable before him  provided that
you continue securely established and steadfast in the
faith, without shifting from the hope promised by the
gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed to every
creature under heaven. I, Paul, became a servant of this
gospel.

For another Biblical reading,
Genesis 22:1-18

HYMN
Words: Frederick William Faber, 1849
Tune: St. Cross
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o074.html

O come and mourn with me awhile;
O come ye to the Savior's side;
O come, together let us mourn;
Jesus, our Love, is crucified.

Have we no tears to shed for him,
while soldiers scoff and foes deride?
Ah! look how patiently he hangs;
Jesus, our Love, is crucified.

How fast his hands and feet are nailed;
his blessed tongue with thirst is tied,
his failing eyes are blind with blood:
Jesus, our Love, is crucified.

His mother cannot reach his face;
she stands in helplessness beside;
her heart is martyred with her Son's:
Jesus, our Love, is Crucified.

Seven times seven he spoke, seven words of love;
and all three hours his silence cried
for mercy on the souls of men;
Jesus, our Love, is crucified.

O break, O break, hard heart of mine!
Thy weak self-love and guilty pride
his Pilate and his Judas were:
Jesus, our Love, is crucified.

A broken heart, a fount of tears,
ask, and they will not be denied;
a broken heart love's cradle is:
Jesus, our Love, is crucified.

O love of God! O sin of man!
In this dread act your strength is tried;
and victory remains with love;
for he, our Love, is crucified.

The Reproaches of Jesus on the Cross:
My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I am your Creator, Lord of the universe;
I have entrusted this world to you,
but you have created the means to destroy it.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I made you in my image,
but you have degraded body and spirit
and marred the image of your God.
You have deserted me and turned your backs on me.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I filled the earth with all that you need,
so that you might serve and care for one another,
as I have cared for you;
but you have cared only to serve your own wealth and power.

Holy God,
Holy and Mighty,
Holy Immortal One,
have mercy upon us.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I made my children of one blood
to live in families rejoicing in one another;
but you have embittered the races
and divided the nations.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I commanded you to love your neighbour as yourself,
to love and forgive even your enemies;
but you have made vengeance your rule
and hate your guide.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

In the fullness of time I sent you my Son,
that in him you might know me,
and through him find life and peace;
but you put him to death on the cross.

Holy God,
Holy and Mighty,
Holy Immortal One,
have mercy upon us.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

Through the living Christ, I called you into my Church
to be my servants to the world,
but you have grasped at privilege
and forgotten my will.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I have given you a heavenly gift
and a share in the Holy Spirit;
I have given you the spiritual energies
of the age to come;
but you have turned away
and crucified the Son of God afresh.

My people, what wrong have I done to you?
What good have I not done for you?
Listen to me.

I have consecrated you in the truth;
I have made you to be one
in the unity of the Father and the Son,
by the power of the Spirit;
but you have divided my Church
and shrouded my truth.

Holy God,
Holy and Mighty,
Holy Immortal One,
have mercy upon us.

Turn again, my people, listen to me.

Let your bearing to one another
arise out of your life in Christ Jesus.
He humbled himself
and in obedience accepted the death of the cross.
But I have bestowed on him
the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus,
every knee should bow
and every tongue confess,
Jesus Christ is Lord.

Turn again, my people, listen to me.
Father, hear our prayer and forgive us.

Unstop our ears
that we may receive the gospel of the cross.
Lighten our eyes
that we may see your glory
in the face of your Son.
Penetrate our minds
that your truth may make us whole.
Irradiate our hearts with your love
that we may love one another for Christ's sake.
Father, forgive us.

Almighty God,
look with mercy on your family,
for whom our Lord Jesus Christ was willing to be betrayed,
and to be given into the hands of sinners,
and to suffer death upon the cross;
who now lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross,
we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Christ Jesus humbled himself for us,
and in obedience accepted death,
even death on a cross.

The invitation to the Lord's Prayer are (adapted) from _Common
Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The reproaches are from _Lent, Holy Week, Easter_, copyright
(c) the Central Board of Finance of the Church of England, 1984, 1986.

Westminster / John Knox Press.