OREMUS: 24 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Mar 23 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, March 24, 2005
Maundy Thursday

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
For he gave us a new commandment
that we should love one another as he has loved us.
Knowing that his hour had come,
in his great love he gave us the holy mysteries
of his Body and Blood,
that we, redeemed by his death
and restored to life by his resurrection,
might be partakers of his divine nature.

http://www.oremus.org/passocan.html

Psalm 39

I said, 'I will keep watch upon my ways,*
 so that I do not offend with my tongue.
'I will put a muzzle on my mouth*
 while the wicked are in my presence.'
So I held my tongue and said nothing;*
 I refrained from rash words;
   but my pain became unbearable.
My heart was hot within me;
   while I pondered, the fire burst into flame;*
 I spoke out with my tongue:
Lord, let me know my end and the number of my days,*
 so that I may know how short my life is.
You have given me a mere handful of days,
   and my lifetime is as nothing in your sight;*
 truly, even those who stand erect are but a puff of wind.
We walk about like a shadow
   and in vain we are in turmoil;*
 we heap up riches and cannot tell who will gather them.
And now, what is my hope?*
 O Lord, my hope is in you.
Deliver me from all my transgressions*
 and do not make me the taunt of the fool.
I fell silent and did not open my mouth,*
 for surely it was you that did it.
Take your affliction from me;*
 I am worn down by the blows of your hand.
With rebukes for sin you punish us;
   like a moth you eat away all that is dear to us;*
 truly, everyone is but a puff of wind.
Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry;*
 hold not your peace at my tears.
For I am but a sojourner with you,*
 a wayfarer, as all my forebears were.
Turn your gaze from me, that I may be glad again,*
 before I go my way and am no more.

READING [John 17]:

After Jesus had spoken these words, he looked up to
heaven and said, 'Father, the hour has come; glorify your
Son so that the Son may glorify you, since you have given
him authority over all people, to give eternal life to
all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life,
that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus
Christ whom you have sent. I glorified you on earth by
finishing the work that you gave me to do. So now,
Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory
that I had in your presence before the world existed.
'I have made your name known to those whom you gave me
from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me,
and they have kept your word. Now they know that
everything you have given me is from you; for the words
that you gave to me I have given to them, and they have
received them and know in truth that I came from you; and
they have believed that you sent me. I am asking on their
behalf; I am not asking on behalf of the world, but on
behalf of those whom you gave me, because they are yours.
All mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I have been
glorified in them. And now I am no longer in the world,
but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy
Father, protect them in your name that you have given me,
so that they may be one, as we are one. While I was with
them, I protected them in your name that you have given
me. I guarded them, and not one of them was lost except
the one destined to be lost, so that the scripture might
be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you, and I speak
these things in the world so that they may have my joy
made complete in themselves. I have given them your word,
and the world has hated them because they do not belong
to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. I am
not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask
you to protect them from the evil one. They do not belong
to the world, just as I do not belong to the world.
Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you
have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the
world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, so that
they also may be sanctified in truth.
'I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of
those who will believe in me through their word, that
they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am
in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may
believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have
given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as
we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become
completely one, so that the world may know that you have
sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me,
may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you
have given me because you loved me before the foundation
of the world.
'Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I
know you; and these know that you have sent me. I made
your name known to them, and I will make it known, so
that the love with which you have loved me may be in
them, and I in them.'

For another Biblical reading,
Leviticus 16:2-24

HYMN
Words: (c) Marnie Barrell, 1999
Tune: Kingsfold
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/barrell/mb10.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/barrell/mb10.html

Relentless lover, God in Christ
who died to set us free,
unswerving as your love for us
may our commitment be:
to come and learn what courage means,
and take the challenge up
to walk with Christ through death to life,
to drink his bitter cup.

And when we come, may that fierce love
be tasted, touched and known,
as we who gather round the Cross
meet in Christ's death our own.
God grant we shall not fear to drink
his cup, the blood he shed,
nor let our hands, unwounded, shrink
from taking up his bread.

So let the Spirit draw us near
to find, in hope and trust,
his broken body risen here,
his life renewed in us.
Life given, life renewed again
in thousandfold increase;
he lives, and sends us out to be
his living gift of peace.

Lord, you have declared your will
That we should faithfully keep your commandments.

You have commanded us to love one another
As you have loved us.

Lord, in your mercy
Hear our prayer.

Lord, we pray for Christians throughout the world
That we may be one.

We pray for the Roman Catholic Church and John Paul the Pope
That we may be one.

We pray for the Eastern Orthodox churches and for their Patriarchs and Archbishops
That we may be one.

We pray for the Lutheran churches around the world
That we may be one.

We pray for the Methodist churches and their clergy
That we may be one.

We pray for the Presbyterian churches and their ministers
That we may be one.

We pray for the Baptist churches and their leaders
That we may be one.

We pray for all other churches
That we may be one.

We pray for the Anglican Communion
and for Rowan, Archbishop of Canterbury
That we may be one.

We pray for the unity of all Christian people, that the world may believe
That we may be one.

Holy God,
source of all love,
on the night of his betrayal
Jesus gave his disciples a new commandment,
to love one another as he loved them:
Write this commandment in our hearts;
give us the will to serve others
as he was the servant of all,
who gave his life and died for us,
yet is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross,
we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Christ Jesus humbled himself for us,
and in obedience accepted death.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer (adapted) are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from prayers in
_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The invitation to the Lord's Prayer is from _Common Worship:
 Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c)
The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Westminster / John Knox Press.

The hymn is reproduced here with the kind permission of the author; if you
wish to reproduce it further, please apply for permission by sending her an
email.