OREMUS: 22 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Mar 21 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, March 22, 2005
Tuesday in Holy Week

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for through the saving passion of your Son,
the whole world has been called
to acknowledge and praise your majesty.
For in the wondrous power of the cross,
your judgment of this world is revealed
and the power of Christ crucified shines forth.

http://www.oremus.org/passocan.html

Psalm 27

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.
What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

READING [John 15]:

Jesus said, 'I am the true vine, and my Father is the
vine-grower. He removes every branch in me that bears no
fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it
bear more fruit. You have already been cleansed by the
word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me as I abide in
you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself
unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you
abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those
who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because
apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide
in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such
branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.
If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for
whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father
is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become
my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so I have loved
you; abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you
will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's
commandments and abide in his love. I have said these
things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your
joy may be complete.
'This is my commandment, that you love one another as I
have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay
down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if
you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any
longer, because the servant does not know what the master
is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have
made known to you everything that I have heard from my
Father. You did not choose me but I chose you. And I
appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last,
so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in
my name. I am giving you these commands so that you may
love one another.
'If the world hates you, be aware that it hated me before
it hated you. If you belonged to the world, the world
would love you as its own. Because you do not belong to
the world, but I have chosen you out of the
world therefore the world hates you. Remember the word
that I said to you, "Servants are not greater than their
master." If they persecuted me, they will persecute you;
if they kept my word, they will keep yours also. But they
will do all these things to you on account of my name,
because they do not know him who sent me. If I had not
come and spoken to them, they would not have sin; but now
they have no excuse for their sin. Whoever hates me hates
my Father also. If I had not done among them the works
that no one else did, they would not have sin. But now
they have seen and hated both me and my Father. It was to
fulfil the word that is written in their law, "They hated
me without a cause."
'When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from
the Father, the Spirit of truth who comes from the
Father, he will testify on my behalf. You also are to
testify because you have been with me from the
beginning.'

For another Biblical reading,

Lamentations 3:1-18,40-51

HYMN
Words: Samuel Crossman (1624-1683), 1664
Tune: Love Unknown
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/m/m187.html

My song is love unknown,
my Savior's love to me,
love to the loveless shown
that they might lovely be.
O who am I
that for my sake
my Lord should take
frail flesh and die?

He came from his blest throne
salvation to bestow,
but men made strange, and none
the longed-for Christ would know.
But O my friend,
my friend indeed,
who at my need,
his life did spend.

Sometimes they strew his way,
and his strong praises sing,
resounding all the day
hosannas to their King.
Then "Crucify!"
is all their breath,
and for his death
they thirst and cry.

Why, what hath my Lord done?
What makes this rage and spite?
He made the lame to run,
he gave the blind their sight.
Sweet injuries!
Yet they at these
themselves displease,
and 'gainst him rise.

They rise, and needs will have
my dear Lord made away;
a murderer they save,
the Prince of Life they slay.
Yet steadfast he
to suffering goes,
that he his foes
from thence might free.

Here might I stay and sing,
no story so divine:
never was love, dear King,
never was grief like thine.
This is my friend,
in whose sweet praise
I all my days
could gladly spend.

Let us pray to the Father through his Son
who suffered on the cross for the world's redemption.

Fill with your Spirit Christ's broken body, the Church ...
Give to Christian people everywhere a deep longing
to take up the cross and to understand its mysterious glory.
By the Saviour's cross and passion,
Lord, save us and help us.

Bless those who lead the Church's worship at this solemn time ...
In the preaching of the word
    and the celebration of the sacraments
draw your people close to you.
By the Saviour's cross and passion,
Lord, save us and help us.

Strengthen those (among us) who are preparing for baptism,
together with their teachers, sponsors and families ...
Teach them what it means to die and rise with Christ
and prepare them to receive the breath of his Spirit.
By the Saviour's cross and passion,
Lord, save us and help us.

Look in your mercy upon the world you loved so much
that you sent your Son to suffer and to die ...
Strengthen those who work to share
the reconciliation won at such a cost upon the cross.
By the Saviour's cross and passion,
Lord, save us and help us.

Bring healing by the wounds of Christ
to all who are weighed down by pain and injustice ...
Help the lonely and the betrayed, the suffering and the dying,
to find strength in the companionship of Jesus,
and in his passion to know their salvation.
By the Saviour's cross and passion,
Lord, save us and help us.

Welcome into paradise all who have left this world
     in your friendship ...
According to your promises,
bring them with all your saints to share
in all the benefits of Christ's death and resurrection.
By the Saviour's cross and passion,
Lord, save us and help us.

O God,
by the passion of your blessed Son
you made an instrument of shameful death
to be for us the means of life:
Grant us so to glory in the cross of Christ,
that we may gladly suffer shame and loss
for the sake of your Son our Savior Jesus Christ;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross,

Lead us, O God, in the way of Christ
and give us courage to take up our cross
and, in full reliance upon your grace, to follow him. Amen.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer (adapted) are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The intercession is from _Common Worship: Times and Seasons
(draft)_, material from which is included in this service is copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2004.

of The Episcopal Church_.

The closing sentence are adapted from _Book of
Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.