OREMUS: 21 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Mar 20 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, March 21, 2005
Monday in Holy Week

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
By the human nature he assumed,
he gathers us all into one body;
humbled, he raises us up;
handed over to death, he sets us free.

http://www.oremus.org/passocan.html

Psalm 41

Happy are they who consider the poor and needy!*
 the Lord will deliver them in the time of trouble.
The Lord preserves them and keeps them alive,
   so that they may be happy in the land;*
 he does not hand them over to the will of their enemies.
The Lord sustains them on their sick-bed*
 and ministers to them in their illness.
I said, 'Lord, be merciful to me;*
 heal me, for I have sinned against you.'
My enemies are saying wicked things about me:*
 'When will he die and his name perish?'
Even if they come to see me, they speak empty words;*
 their heart collects false rumours;
   they go outside and spread them.
All my enemies whisper together about me*
 and devise evil against me.
'A deadly thing', they say, 'has fastened on him;*
 he has taken to his bed and will never get up again.'Even my
best friend, whom I trusted,
   who broke bread with me,*
 has lifted up his heel and turned against me.
But you, O Lord, be merciful to me and raise me up,*
 and I shall repay them.
By this I know you are pleased with me,*
 that my enemy does not triumph over me.
In my integrity you hold me fast,*
 and shall set me before your face for ever.
Blessed be the Lord God of Israel,*
 from age to age. Amen. Amen.

Psalm 56

Have mercy on me, O God,
   for my enemies are hounding me;*
 all day long they assault and oppress me.
They hound me all the day long;*
 truly there are many who fight against me, O Most High.
Whenever I am afraid,*
 I will put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
   in God I trust and will not be afraid,*
 for what can flesh do to me?
All day long they damage my cause;*
 their only thought is to do me evil.
They band together; they lie in wait;*
 they spy upon my footsteps; because they seek my life.
Shall they escape despite their wickedness?*
 O God, in your anger, cast down the peoples.
You have noted my lamentation;
   put my tears into your bottle;*
 are they not recorded in your book?
Whenever I call upon you,
   my enemies will be put to flight;*
 this I know, for God is on my side.
In God the Lord, whose word I praise,
   in God I trust and will not be afraid,*
 for what can mortals do to me?
I am bound by the vow I made to you, O God;*
 I will present to you thank-offerings;
For you have rescued my soul from death
   and my feet from stumbling,*
 that I may walk before God in the light of the living.

READING [John 14]:

Jesus said, 'Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe
in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house there
are many dwelling-places. If it were not so, would I have
told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I
go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and
will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you
may be also. And you know the way to the place where I am
going.' Thomas said to him, 'Lord, we do not know where
you are going. How can we know the way?' Jesus said to
him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one
comes to the Father except through me. If you know me,
you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him
and have seen him.'
Philip said to him, 'Lord, show us the Father, and we
will be satisfied.' Jesus said to him, 'Have I been with
you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me?
Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say,
"Show us the Father"? Do you not believe that I am in the
Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to
you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells
in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father
and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe
me because of the works themselves. Very truly, I tell
you, the one who believes in me will also do the works
that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these,
because I am going to the Father. I will do whatever you
ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in
the Son. If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do
it.
'If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I
will ask the Father, and he will give you another
Advocate, to be with you for ever. This is the Spirit of
truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither
sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides
with you, and he will be in you.
'I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you. In a
little while the world will no longer see me, but you
will see me; because I live, you also will live. On that
day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me,
and I in you. They who have my commandments and keep them
are those who love me; and those who love me will be
loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal
myself to them.' Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, 'Lord,
how is it that you will reveal yourself to us, and not to
the world?' Jesus answered him, 'Those who love me will
keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will
come to them and make our home with them. Whoever does
not love me does not keep my words; and the word that you
hear is not mine, but is from the Father who sent me.
'I have said these things to you while I am still with
you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father
will send in my name, will teach you everything, and
remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave
with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as
the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and
do not let them be afraid. You heard me say to you, "I am
going away, and I am coming to you." If you loved me, you
would rejoice that I am going to the Father, because the
Father is greater than I. And now I have told you this
before it occurs, so that when it does occur, you may
believe. I will no longer talk much with you, for the
ruler of this world is coming. He has no power over me;
but I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the
world may know that I love the Father. Rise, let us be on
our way.'

For another Biblical reading,

Lamentations 1:1-12; 2:8-19

HYMN
Words: John Ellerton, 1875
Tune: Arfon
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t655.html

Throned upon the awful tree,
King of grief, I watch with thee;
darkness veils thine anguished face,
none its lines of woe can trace.
none can tell what pangs unknown
hold thee silent and alone.

Silent through those three dread hours,
wrestling with the evil powers,
left alone with human sin,
gloom around thee and within,
till the appointed time is nigh,
till the Lamb of God may die.

Hark, that cry that peals aloud
upward through the whelming cloud!
Thou, the Father's only Son,
thou, his own anointed One,
thou dost ask him (can it be?)
"Why hast thou forsaken me?"

Lord, should fear and anguish roll,
darkly o'er my sinful soul,
thou, who once were thus bereft
that thine own might ne'er be left,
teach me by that bitter cry
in the gloom to know thee nigh.

For Christian communities everywhere,
following the way of the cross this week:
that the passion of Christ may sustain our faith
and enliven our witness to the world,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the Diocese of Mexico,
The Most Revd Carlos Touche-Porter, Bishop,
and the Diocese of Western Mexico,
The Rt Revd Lino Rodriguez, Bishop,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the pastors, teachers, evangelists and prophets of the church:
that the wisdom of Christ may keep them grounded in the gospel,
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all candidates for baptism,
and for the church preparing to welcome them:
that the faith of Christ may gather us together at the foot of the cross,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the nations of the world, and for the peace of Jerusalem:
that the kingdom of Christ may come with true peace
and the forgiveness of our enemies,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the endangered earth,
where human carelessness and waste threaten the environment:
that the Spirit of Christ may teach us how to care for the earth,
and revive our delight in creation,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the hungry, the homeless and the outcasts of the world:
that the love of Christ may teach us hospitality, hope,
and care for the least of our sisters and brothers,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For people whose lives are limited by sickness, grief, or fear:
that the compassion of Christ may come to them
with comfort and courage,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all who bear the weight of others' troubles:
that the easy yoke of Christ may lighten their burdens
and strengthen them for service,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For people offering their lives in loving service:
that the blessing of Christ may come to them,
and their gifts be received and remembered with joy,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all who deny their faith or betray their friends,
for all who repent of their sins,
and for ourselves as we turn and ask for mercy:
that the forgiveness of Christ may come with healing and love,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

For people preparing to die:
that the light of Christ may shine on them
both now and in the day of resurrection,
we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

Heavenly Father,
whose Son suffered denial and betrayal of trust
from those who shared his bread:
raise us up, O Lord,
and prevent us in the time of trial
from falling away from you;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross,

Lead us, O God, in the way of Christ
and give us courage to take up our cross
and, in full reliance upon your grace, to follow him. Amen.

The psalms and the collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_
(Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with
permission.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer (adapted) are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner using a sentence
from a prayer in _We Give You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian
Eucharistic Prefaces_, translated by Alan Griffiths, (c) The
Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is by The Anglican Church of Australia.

The closing sentence is adapted from two sentences in a prayer from
_Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John
Knox Press.