OREMUS: 20 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Mar 19 20:43:52 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, March 20, 2005
Palm Sunday

Blessed are you, almighty God,
because in your tender love
you gave the world your only Son,
that we might be saved through him.
Though blameless,
he suffered willingly for our sin.
Though innocent,
he accepted death for the guilty.
On the cross he offered himself, a perfect sacrifice,
for the life of the world.

http://www.oremus.org/passocan.html

Psalm 80

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
 shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
 stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
 how long will you be angered
   despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
 you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
 and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
 you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
 it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
 and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
 and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
 so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
 and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
   behold and tend this vine;*
 preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
 at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
 the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
 give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.

READING [John 12:20-32]:

Now among those who went up to worship at the festival
were some Greeks. They came to Philip, who was from
Bethsaida in Galilee, and said to him, 'Sir, we wish to
see Jesus.' Philip went and told Andrew; then Andrew and
Philip went and told Jesus. Jesus answered them, 'The
hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Very
truly, I tell you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the
earth and dies, it remains just a single grain; but if it
dies, it bears much fruit. Those who love their life lose
it, and those who hate their life in this world will keep
it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me,
and where I am, there will my servant be also. Whoever
serves me, the Father will honour.
'Now my soul is troubled. And what should I say "Father,
save me from this hour"? No, it is for this reason that I
have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name.' Then
a voice came from heaven, 'I have glorified it, and I
will glorify it again.' The crowd standing there heard it
and said that it was thunder. Others said, 'An angel has
spoken to him.' Jesus answered, 'This voice has come for
your sake, not for mine. Now is the judgement of this
world; now the ruler of this world will be driven out.
And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all
people to myself.'

For another Biblical reading,
Exodus 13:1-3,7-9

HYMN
Words: (c) Fred Pratt Green, 1973
Tune: The Third Tune
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t747.html

To mock your reign, O dearest Lord,
they made a crown of thorns;
set you with taunts along that road
from which no one returns.
They did not know, as we do now,
that glorious is your crown;
that thorns would flower upon your brow,
your sorrows heal our own.

In mock acclaim, O gracious Lord,
they snatched a purple cloak,
your passion turned, for all they cared,
into a soldier's joke.
They did not know, as we do now,
that though we merit blame
you will your robe of mercy throw
around our naked shame.

A sceptered reed, O patient Lord,
they thrust into your hand,
and acted out their grim charade
to its appointed end.
They did not know, as we do now,
though empires rise and fall,
your Kingdom shall not cease to grow
till love embraces all.

Our Redeemer suffered death,
was buried and rose again for our sake.
With love let us adore him, aware of our needs.

Christ our teacher,
for us you were obedient, even to death:
Teach us to obey God's will in all things.

Christ our life,
by dying on the cross
you destroyed the power of evil and death:
Enable us to die with you, and to rise with you in glory.

Christ our strength,
you were despised,
and humiliated as a condemned criminal:
Teach us the humility by which you saved the world.

Christ our salvation,
you gave your life out of love for us:
Help us to love one another.

Christ our Savior,
on the cross you embraced all time
with your outstretched arms:
Gather all the scattered children of God into your realm.

Eternal God,
whose word silences the shouts of the mighty:
Quiet within us every voice but your own.
Speak to us through the suffering and death of Jesus Christ
that by the power of your Holy Spirit
we may receive grace to show Christ's love
in lives given to your service. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross,

Lead us, O God, in the way of Christ
and give us courage to take up our cross
and, in full reliance upon your grace, to follow him. Amen.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer (adapted) are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses a phrase in a prayer by The Anglican
Church of Canada and three sentences from a prayer in _Book of
Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The intercession, the collect and the closing sentence are from _Book of
Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

Hymn (c) 1973 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk