OREMUS: 15 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Mar 14 20:24:05 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Blessed are you, holy Father,
almighty and eternal God,
 through Jesus Christ our Lord.
For as the time of his passion and resurrection draws near
the whole world is called to acknowledge his hidden majesty.
The power of the life-giving cross
reveals the judgement that has come upon the world
and the triumph of Christ crucified.
He is the victim who dies no more,
the Lamb once slain, who lives for ever,
our advocate in heaven to plead our cause.

http://www.oremus.org/passocan.html

Psalm 35

Fight those who fight me, O Lord;*
 attack those who are attacking me.
Take up shield and armour*
 and rise up to help me.
Draw the sword and bar the way
   against those who pursue me;*
 say to my soul, 'I am your salvation.'
Let those who seek after my life be shamed and humbled;*
 let those who plot my ruin fall back and be dismayed.
Then I will be joyful in the Lord;*
 I will glory in his victory.
My very bones will say, 'Lord, who is like you?*
 You deliver the poor
   from those who are too strong for them,
   the poor and needy from those who rob them.'
Malicious witnesses rise up against me;*
 they charge me with matters I know nothing about.
They pay me evil in exchange for good;*
 my soul is full of despair.
But when they were sick I dressed in sack-cloth*
 and humbled myself by fasting;
I prayed with my whole heart,
   as one would for a friend or a brother;*
 I behaved like one who mourns for his mother,
   bowed down and grieving.
But when I stumbled,
   they were glad and gathered together;
   they gathered against me;*
 strangers whom I did not know
   tore me to pieces and would not stop.
They put me to the test and mocked me;*
 they gnashed at me with their teeth.
O Lord, how long will you look on?*
 rescue me from the roaring beasts,
   and my life from the young lions.
I will give you thanks in the great congregation;*
 I will praise you in the mighty throng.
Do not let my treacherous foes rejoice over me,*
 nor let those who hate me without a cause
   wink at each other.
For they do not plan for peace,*
 but invent deceitful schemes
   against the quiet in the land.
They opened their mouths at me and said,*
 'Aha! we saw it with our own eyes.'
You saw it, O Lord; do not be silent;*
 O Lord, be not far from me.
Awake, arise, to my cause!*
 to my defence, my God and my Lord!
Give me justice, O Lord my God,
   according to your righteousness;*
 do not let them triumph over me.
Do not let them say in their hearts,
   'Aha! just what we want!'*
 Do not let them say, 'We have swallowed him up.'
Let all who rejoice at my ruin be ashamed and disgraced;*
 let those who boast against me
   be clothed with dismay and shame.
Let those who favour my cause
   sing out with joy and be glad;*
 let them say always, 'Great is the Lord,
   who desires the prosperity of his servant.'
And my tongue shall be talking of your righteousness*
 and of your praise all the day long.

READING [Exodus 8:1-15]:

Then the LORD said to Moses, 'Go to Pharaoh and say to
him, "Thus says the LORD: Let my people go, so that they
may worship me. If you refuse to let them go, I will
plague your whole country with frogs. The river shall
swarm with frogs; they shall come up into your palace,
into your bedchamber and your bed, and into the houses of
your officials and of your people, and into your ovens
and your kneading bowls. The frogs shall come up on you
and on your people and on all your officials." ' And the
LORD said to Moses, 'Say to Aaron, "Stretch out your hand
with your staff over the rivers, the canals, and the
pools, and make frogs come up on the land of Egypt." ' So
Aaron stretched out his hand over the waters of Egypt;
and the frogs came up and covered the land of Egypt. But
the magicians did the same by their secret arts, and
brought frogs up on the land of Egypt.
Then Pharaoh called Moses and Aaron, and said, 'Pray to
the LORD to take away the frogs from me and my people,
and I will let the people go to sacrifice to the LORD.'
Moses said to Pharaoh, 'Kindly tell me when I am to pray
for you and for your officials and for your people, that
the frogs may be removed from you and your houses and be
left only in the Nile.' And he said, 'Tomorrow.' Moses
said, 'As you say! So that you may know that there is no
one like the LORD our God, the frogs shall leave you and
your houses and your officials and your people; they
shall be left only in the Nile.' Then Moses and Aaron
went out from Pharaoh; and Moses cried out to the LORD
concerning the frogs that he had brought upon Pharaoh.
And the LORD did as Moses requested: the frogs died in
the houses, the courtyards, and the fields. And they
gathered them together in heaps, and the land stank. But
when Pharaoh saw that there was a respite, he hardened
his heart, and would not listen to them, just as the LORD
had said.

For another Biblical reading,
2 Corinthians 2:14-3:6

HYMN
Words: Shirley Erena Murray, alt. (c)
Tune: Rhuddlan
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g203.html

God of freedom, God of justice,
God whose love is strong as death,
God who saw the dark of prison,
God who knew the price of faith:
touch our world of sad oppression
with your Spirit's healing breath.

Rid the earth of torture's terror,
God whose hands were nailed to wood;
hear the cries of pain and protest,
God who shed the tears and blood;
move in us the power of pity,
restless for the common good.

Make in us a captive conscience
quick to hear, to act, to plead;
make us truly sisters, brothers,
of whatever race or creed:
teach us to be fully human,
open to each other's need.

Jesus, remember us when you come into your kingdom
and hear our prayers.

For your Church around the world,
we ask new life.

For all who carry out ministries in your Church,
we ask grace and wisdom.

For people who have accepted spiritual disciplines,
we ask inspired discipleship.

For Christians of every land,
we ask new unity in your Name.

For Jews and Muslims and people of other faiths,
we ask your divine blessing.

For those who cannot believe,
we ask your faithful love.

For governors and rulers in every land,
we ask your guidance.

For people who suffer and sorrow,
we ask your healing peace.

Almighty God,
through the incarnate Word
you have caused us to be born anew
of an imperishable and eternal seed:
Look with compassion upon those
who are being prepared for Holy Baptism,
and grant that they may be built as living stones
into a spiritual temple acceptable to you;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross, BR>

Christ crucified draw us to himself,
to find in him a sure ground for faith,
a firm support for hope,
and the assurance of sins forgiven. Amen.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer (adapted) are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

prayers in  _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

Hymn (c) 1992 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In all territories except New Zealand, Australia & Asia:
Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
In New Zealand, Australia & Asia:  ShirleyErena Murray,
serenam at paradise.net.nz

The collect is from _The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and Fasts_,
3rd edition, (c) 1980 The Church Pension Fund.