OREMUS: 14 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Mar 13 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, March 14, 2005

Blessed are you, holy Father,
almighty and eternal God,
 through Jesus Christ our Lord.
For as the time of his passion and resurrection draws near
the whole world is called to acknowledge his hidden majesty.
The power of the life-giving cross
reveals the judgement that has come upon the world
and the triumph of Christ crucified.
He is the victim who dies no more,
the Lamb once slain, who lives for ever,
our advocate in heaven to plead our cause.

http://www.oremus.org/passocan.html

Psalm 73

Truly, God is good to Israel,*
 to those who are pure in heart.
But as for me, my feet had nearly slipped;*
 I had almost tripped and fallen;
Because I envied the proud*
 and saw the prosperity of the wicked:
For they suffer no pain,*
 and their bodies are sleek and sound;
In the misfortunes of others they have no share;*
 they are not afflicted as others are;
Therefore they wear their pride like a necklace*
 and wrap their violence about them like a cloak.
Their iniquity comes from gross minds,*
 and their hearts overflow with wicked thoughts.
They scoff and speak maliciously;*
 out of their haughtiness they plan oppression.
They set their mouths against the heavens,*
 and their evil speech runs through the world.
And so the people turn to them*
 and find in them no fault.
They say, 'How should God know?*
 is there knowledge in the Most High?'
So then, these are the wicked;*
 always at ease, they increase their wealth.
In vain have I kept my heart clean,*
 and washed my hands in innocence.
I have been afflicted all day long,*
 and punished every morning.
Had I gone on speaking this way,*
 I should have betrayed the generation of your children.
When I tried to understand these things,*
 it was too hard for me;
Until I entered the sanctuary of God*
 and discerned the end of the wicked.
Surely, you set them in slippery places;*
 you cast them down in ruin.
O how suddenly do they come to destruction,*
 come to an end and perish from terror!
Like a dream when one awakens, O Lord,*
 when you arise you will make their image vanish.
When my mind became embittered,*
 I was sorely wounded in my heart.
I was stupid and had no understanding;*
 I was like a brute beast in your presence.
Yet I am always with you;*
 you hold me by my right hand.
You will guide me by your counsel,*
 and afterwards receive me with glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you?*
 and having you I desire nothing upon earth.
Though my flesh and my heart should waste away,*
 God is the strength of my heart and my portion for ever.
Truly, those who forsake you will perish;*
 you destroy all who are unfaithful.
But it is good for me to be near God;*
 I have made the Lord God my refuge.
I will speak of all your works*
 in the gates of the city of Zion.

READING [Exodus 7:8-25]:

The LORD said to Moses and Aaron, 'When Pharaoh says to
you, "Perform a wonder", then you shall say to Aaron,
"Take your staff and throw it down before Pharaoh, and it
will become a snake." ' So Moses and Aaron went to
Pharaoh and did as the LORD had commanded; Aaron threw
down his staff before Pharaoh and his officials, and it
became a snake. Then Pharaoh summoned the wise men and
the sorcerers; and they also, the magicians of Egypt, did
the same by their secret arts. Each one threw down his
staff, and they became snakes; but Aaron's staff
swallowed up theirs. Still Pharaoh's heart was hardened,
and he would not listen to them, as the LORD had said.
Then the LORD said to Moses, 'Pharaoh's heart is
hardened; he refuses to let the people go. Go to Pharaoh
in the morning, as he is going out to the water; stand by
at the river bank to meet him, and take in your hand the
staff that was turned into a snake. Say to him, "The
LORD, the God of the Hebrews, sent me to you to say, 'Let
my people go, so that they may worship me in the
wilderness.' But until now you have not listened. Thus
says the LORD, 'By this you shall know that I am the
LORD.' See, with the staff that is in my hand I will
strike the water that is in the Nile, and it shall be
turned to blood. The fish in the river shall die, the
river itself shall stink, and the Egyptians shall be
unable to drink water from the Nile." ' The LORD said to
Moses, 'Say to Aaron, "Take your staff and stretch out
your hand over the waters of Egypt over its rivers, its
canals, and its ponds, and all its pools of water so that
they may become blood; and there shall be blood
throughout the whole land of Egypt, even in vessels of
wood and in vessels of stone." '
Moses and Aaron did just as the LORD commanded. In the
sight of Pharaoh and of his officials he lifted up the
staff and struck the water in the river, and all the
water in the river was turned into blood, and the fish in
the river died. The river stank so that the Egyptians
could not drink its water, and there was blood throughout
the whole land of Egypt. But the magicians of Egypt did
the same by their secret arts; so Pharaoh's heart
remained hardened, and he would not listen to them, as
the LORD had said. Pharaoh turned and went into his
house, and he did not take even this to heart. And all
the Egyptians had to dig along the Nile for water to
drink, for they could not drink the water of the
river.
Seven days passed after the LORD had struck the Nile.

For another Biblical reading,
2 Corinthians 1:1-7

HYMN
Words: Francis H. Rowley (1854-1952), 1886
Tune: Hyfrydol
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i180.html

I will sing the wondrous story
of the Christ who died for me;
how he left his home in glory
for the cross of Calvary:
Refrain:
Yes, I'll sing the wondrous story
of the Christ who died for me,
sing it with his saints in glory,
gathered by the crystal sea.

I was lost, but Jesus found me,
found the sheep that went astray,
threw his loving arms around me,
back into the narrow way. Refrain

Faint was I, and fears possessed me,
bruised was I from many a fall;
hope was gone, and shame distressed me,
but his love has pardoned all: Refrain

Days of darkness still come o'er me,
sorrow's path I often tread,
but his presence still is with me;
by his guiding hand I'm led. Refrain

He will keep me till the river
rolls its waters at my feet;
then He'll bear me safely over,
where the loved ones I shall meet. Refrain

O Christ,
out of your fullness we have received grace upon grace.
You are our eternal hope;
you are patient and full of mercy;
you are generous to all who call upon you.
Save us, O Lord.

O Christ, fountain of life and holiness,
you have taken away our sins.
On the cross you were wounded for our transgressions
and were bruised for our iniquities.
Save us, O Lord.

O Christ, obedient unto death,
source of all comfort,
our life and our resurrection,
our peace and reconciliation:
Save us, O Lord.

O Christ, Savior of all who trust you,
hope of all who die for yo,
and joy of all the saints:
Save us, O Lord.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially:
the Diocese of Melbourne, Australia, The Most Revd Peter Robert Watson, Bishop.

Be gracious to your people,
we entreat you, O Lord,
that they, repenting day by day
of the things that displease you,
may be more and more filled with love of you
and of your commandments;
and, being supported by your grace in this life,
may come to the full enjoyment of eternal life
in your everlasting kingdom;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross, BR>

Christ crucified draw us to himself,
to find in him a sure ground for faith,
a firm support for hope,
and the assurance of sins forgiven. Amen.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer (adapted) are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

prayers in  _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The collect is from _The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and