OREMUS: 13 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Mar 12 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, March 13, 2005
The Fifth Sunday in Lent

Blessed are you, holy Father,
almighty and eternal God,
 through Jesus Christ our Lord.
For as the time of his passion and resurrection draws near
the whole world is called to acknowledge his hidden majesty.
The power of the life-giving cross
reveals the judgement that has come upon the world
and the triumph of Christ crucified.
He is the victim who dies no more,
the Lamb once slain, who lives for ever,
our advocate in heaven to plead our cause.

http://www.oremus.org/passocan.html

Psalm 20

May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble,*
 the name of the God of Jacob defend you;
Send you help from his holy place*
 and strengthen you out of Zion;
Remember all your offerings*
 and accept your burnt sacrifice;
Grant you your heart's desire*
 and prosper all your plans.
We will shout for joy at your victory
   and triumph in the name of our God;*
 may the Lord grant all your requests.
Now I know that the Lord gives victory
   to his anointed;*
 he will answer him out of his holy heaven,
   with the victorious strength of his right hand.
Some put their trust in chariots and some in horses,*
 but we will call upon the name of the Lord our God.
They collapse and fall down,*
 but we will arise and stand upright.
O Lord, give victory to the king*
 and answer us when we call.

Psalm 122

I was glad when they said to me,*
 'Let us go to the house of the Lord.'
Now our feet are standing*
 within your gates, O Jerusalem.
Jerusalem is built as a city*
 that is at unity with itself.
To which the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord,*
 the assembly of Israel, to praise the name of the Lord.
For there are the thrones of judgement,*
 the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:*
 'May they prosper who love you.
'Peace be within your walls*
 and quietness within your towers.
'For my family and companions' sake,*
 I pray for your prosperity.
'Because of the house of the Lord our God,*
 I will seek to do you good.'

READING [Exodus 6:2-13]:

God also spoke to Moses and said to him: 'I am the LORD.
I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty,
but by my name "The LORD" I did not make myself known to
them. I also established my covenant with them, to give
them the land of Canaan, the land in which they resided
as aliens. I have also heard the groaning of the
Israelites, whom the Egyptians are holding as slaves, and
I have remembered my covenant. Say therefore to the
Israelites, "I am the LORD, and I will free you from the
burdens of the Egyptians and deliver you from slavery to
them. I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with
mighty acts of judgement. I will take you as my people,
and I will be your God. You shall know that I am the LORD
your God, who has freed you from the burdens of the
Egyptians. I will bring you into the land that I swore to
give to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; I will give it to you
for a possession. I am the LORD." ' Moses told this to
the Israelites; but they would not listen to Moses,
because of their broken spirit and their cruel
slavery.
Then the LORD spoke to Moses, 'Go and tell Pharaoh king
of Egypt to let the Israelites go out of his land.' But
Moses spoke to the LORD, 'The Israelites have not
listened to me; how then shall Pharaoh listen to me, poor
speaker that I am?' Thus the LORD spoke to Moses and
Aaron, and gave them orders regarding the Israelites and
Pharaoh king of Egypt, charging them to free the
Israelites from the land of Egypt.

For another Biblical reading,
Matthew 27:32-56

HYMN
Words: Venantius Fortunatus, sixth century; trans. Alan Gaunt (c)
Tune: Gonfalon Royal
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a350.html

As royal banners are unfurled,
the cross displays its mystery:
the Maker of our flesh, in flesh,
impaled and hanging helplessly.

Already deeply wounded: see
his side now riven by a spear,
and all our sins are swept away
by blood and water flowing there.

See everything the prophets wrote
fulfilled in its totality,
and tell the nations of the world
our God is reigning from a tree.

This tree, ablaze with royal light
and with the blood-red robe it wears,
is hallowed and embellished
by the weight of holiness it bears.

Stretched like a balance here, his arms
have gauged the price of wickedness;
but, hanging here, his love outweighs
hell's unforgiving bitterness.

The Savior, victim, sacrifice,
is, through his dying, glorified;
his life is overcome by death
and leaps up, sweeping death aside.

We hail the cross, faith's one true hope:
God's passion set in time and space,
by which our guilt is blotted out,
engulfed in such stupendous grace.

As we enter the contemplation of those saving mysteries
which ended with death on a cross and rising from the grave,
hear our prayers for forgiveness, O Lord.

Forgive us when we forget the painful death you suffered on the cross,
when we make Christian faith a bland way of life demanding no sacrifice.
Jesus, Lamb of God,
have mercy on us.

Forgive us that our preference runs to Bethlehem and Joseph's garden,
to poinsettias and lilies, and away from Golgotha,
with its rusty nails and twisted thorns.
Jesus, bearer of our sins,
have mercy on us.

Forgive us when we are more willing to be instructed or reformed
than we are to be redeemed.
Open us to ever new and deeper awareness of our your passion.
Jesus, Redeemer of the world,
have mercy on us.

Hear, O Father, the cry of your Son,
who, to establish the new and everlasting covenant,
became obedient to death upon the cross:
Grant that, through all the trials of this life,
we may come to share more intimately in his redeeming passion;
and so obtain the fruitfulness of the seed
that falls to the earth and dies,
to be gathered as your harvest for the kingdom.
We ask this through your Son,
our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross, BR>

Christ crucified draw us to himself,
to find in him a sure ground for faith,
a firm support for hope,
and the assurance of sins forgiven. Amen.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer (adapted) are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

prayers in  _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

Hymn (c) 1991 by Stainer & Bell Ltd.
(admin. by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL 60188).
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The intercession is adapted by Stephen T. Benner, 2003, from a prayer by
Ernest T. Campbell.

The collect is from _Uniting in Worship_, The Uniting Church in
Australia.