OREMUS: 12 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Mar 11 19:41:49 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, March 12, 2005

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 30

I will exalt you, O Lord,
   because you have lifted me up*
 and have not let my enemies triumph over me.
O Lord my God, I cried out to you,*
 and you restored me to health.
You brought me up, O Lord, from the dead;*
 you restored my life as I was going down to the grave.
Sing to the Lord, you servants of his;*
 give thanks for the remembrance of his holiness.
For his wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye,*
 his favour for a lifetime.
Weeping may spend the night,*
 but joy comes in the morning.
While I felt secure, I said,
   'I shall never be disturbed.*
 You, Lord, with your favour,
   made me as strong as the mountains.'
Then you hid your face,*
 and I was filled with fear.
I cried to you, O Lord;*
 I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
'What profit is there in my blood,
   if I go down to the Pit?*
 will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?
'Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me;*
 O Lord, be my helper.'
You have turned my wailing into dancing;*
 you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy;
Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing;*
 O Lord my God, I will give you thanks for ever.

A Song of Repentance (1 John 1:5-9)

This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.

If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.

But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.

And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.

If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Matthew 20:17-34]:

While Jesus was going up to Jerusalem, he took the twelve
disciples aside by themselves, and said to them on the
way, 'See, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of
Man will be handed over to the chief priests and scribes,
and they will condemn him to death; then they will hand
him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and flogged and
crucified; and on the third day he will be raised.'
Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came to him with
her sons, and kneeling before him, she asked a favour of
him. And he said to her, 'What do you want?' She said to
him, 'Declare that these two sons of mine will sit, one
at your right hand and one at your left, in your
kingdom.' But Jesus answered, 'You do not know what you
are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about
to drink?' They said to him, 'We are able.' He said to
them, 'You will indeed drink my cup, but to sit at my
right hand and at my left, this is not mine to grant, but
it is for those for whom it has been prepared by my
Father.'
When the ten heard it, they were angry with the two
brothers. But Jesus called them to him and said, 'You
know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them,
and their great ones are tyrants over them. It will not
be so among you; but whoever wishes to be great among you
must be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first
among you must be your slave; just as the Son of Man came
not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a
ransom for many.'
As they were leaving Jericho, a large crowd followed him.
There were two blind men sitting by the roadside. When
they heard that Jesus was passing by, they shouted,
'Lord, have mercy on us, Son of David!' The crowd sternly
ordered them to be quiet; but they shouted even more
loudly, 'Have mercy on us, Lord, Son of David!' Jesus
stood still and called them, saying, 'What do you want me
to do for you?' They said to him, 'Lord, let our eyes be
opened.' Moved with compassion, Jesus touched their eyes.
Immediately they regained their sight and followed him.

For another Biblical reading,
Lamentations 3:19-33

HYMN
Words: Claude de Santeil (1628-1684)
trans. John Chandler and Henry Williams Baker
Tune: St. Thomas (Webbe)
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/n/n129.html

Now my soul, thy voice upraising,
tell in sweet and mournful strain
how the Crucified, enduring
grief and wounds, and dying pain,
freely of his love was offered,
sinless was for sinners slain.

See, his hands and feet are fastened!
So he makes his people free;
not a wound whence blood is flowing
but a fount of grace shall be;
yea, the very nails which nail him
nail us also to the Tree.

Jesus, may those precious fountains
drink to thirsting souls afford;
let them be our cup and healing,
and at length our full reward:
so a ransomed world shall ever
praise thee, its redeeming Lord.

O Lord, answer us in the day of trouble,
Send us help from your holy place.

Show us the path of life,
For in your presence is joy.

Give justice to the orphan and oppressed
And break the power of wickedness and evil.

Look upon the hungry and sorrowful
And grant them the help for which they long.

Let the heavens rejoice and the earth be glad;
May your glory endure for ever.

Your kingship has dominion over all
And with you is our redemption.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially
the Diocese of Meath & Kildare, Ireland,
The Most Revd Dr Richard Lionel Clarke, Bishop.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Hear our prayers, O Lord, and have mercy upon us;
turn our heaviness into joy
and clothe us with gladness and salvation
that we may give thanks to you for ever. Amen.

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.

The psalms and the collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_
(Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with
permission.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer from _Common
Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.