OREMUS: 10 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Mar 9 23:39:03 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, March 10, 2005
Robert Machray, First Primate of Canada, 1904

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 25

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul;
   my God, I put my trust in you;*
 let me not be humiliated,
   nor let my enemies triumph over me.
Let none who look to you be put to shame;*
 let the treacherous be disappointed in their schemes.
Show me your ways, O Lord,*
 and teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,*
 for you are the God of my salvation;
   in you have I trusted all the day long.
Remember, O Lord, your compassion and love,*
 for they are from everlasting.
Remember not the sins of my youth
   and my transgressions;*
 remember me according to your love
   and for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.
Gracious and upright is the Lord;*
 therefore he teaches sinners in his way.
He guides the humble in doing right*
 and teaches his way to the lowly.
All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness*
 to those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.
For your name's sake, O Lord,*
 forgive my sin, for it is great.
Who are they who fear the Lord?*
 he will teach them the way that they should choose.
They shall dwell in prosperity,*
 and their offspring shall inherit the land.
The Lord is a friend to those who fear him*
 and will show them his covenant.
My eyes are ever looking to the Lord,*
 for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.
Turn to me and have pity on me,*
 for I am left alone and in misery.
The sorrows of my heart have increased;*
 bring me out of my troubles.
Look upon my adversity and misery*
 and forgive me all my sin.
Look upon my enemies, for they are many,*
 and they bear a violent hatred against me.
Protect my life and deliver me;*
 let me not be put to shame, for I have trusted in you.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,*
 for my hope has been in you.
Deliver Israel, O God,*
 out of all his troubles.

A Song of Jonah (Jonah 2:2-7,9)

I called to you, O God, out of my distress
and you answered me;
out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
and you heard my voice.

You cast me into the deep,
into the heart of the seas,
and the flood surrounded me,
all your waves and billows passed over me.

Then I said, I am driven away from your sight;
how shall I ever look again upon your holy temple?

The waters closed in over me,
the deep was round about me;
weeds were wrapped around my head
at the roots of the mountains.

I went down to the land whose bars closed upon me for ever,
yet you brought up my life from the depths, O God.

As my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, O God,
and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.

With the voice of thanksgiving, I will sacrifice to you;
what I have vowed I will pay,
deliverance belongs to the Lord!

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Romans 7:1-6]:

Do you not know, brothers and sisters for I am speaking
to those who know the law that the law is binding on a
person only during that person's lifetime? Thus a married
woman is bound by the law to her husband as long as he
lives; but if her husband dies, she is discharged from
the law concerning the husband. Accordingly, she will be
called an adulteress if she lives with another man while
her husband is alive. But if her husband dies, she is
free from that law, and if she marries another man, she
is not an adulteress.
In the same way, my friends, you have died to the law
through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to
another, to him who has been raised from the dead in
order that we may bear fruit for God. While we were
living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the
law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death.
But now we are discharged from the law, dead to that
which held us captive, so that we are slaves not under
the old written code but in the new life of the Spirit.

For another Biblical reading,
Jeremiah 17:19-27

HYMN
Words: Venantius Fortunatus, 569;
trans. John Mason Neale, 1851.
Tune: Vexilla Regis
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t309.html

The royal banners forward go,
the cross shines forth in mystic glow;
where he in flesh, our flesh who made,
our sentence bore, our ransom paid.

Where deep for us the spear was dyed,
life's torrent rushing from his side,
to wash us in that precious flood,
where mingled water flowed, and blood.

Fulfilled is all that David told
in true prophetic song of old,
amidst the nations, God, saith he,
hath reigned and triumphed from the tree.

O tree of beauty, tree of light!
O tree with royal purple dight!
Elect on whose triumphal breast
those holy limbs should find their rest.

Blest tree, whose chosen branches bore
the wealth that did the world restore,
the price of humankind to pay,
and spoil the spoiler of his prey.

Upon its arms, like balance true,
he weighed the price for sinners due,
the price which none but he could pay,
and spoiled the spoiler of his prey.

O cross, our one reliance, hail!
Still may thy power with us avail
to give new virtue to the saint,
and pardon to the penitent.

To thee, eternal Three in One,
let homage meet by all be done:
whom by the cross thou dost restore,
preserve and govern evermore.

Lord, open a path for your Word
To declare the mystery of Christ.

Turn now, O God of hosts;
Behold and tend the vine you have planted.

May your people rejoice and sing,
And your ministers be clothed with salvation.

May they stand and feed your flock
In the strength of your name.

Keep from trouble all those who trust in you
And forget not the poor for ever.

Have mercy, O Lord, upon us,
As we have put our hope in you.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially
the Diocese of Mbale, Uganda,
The Rt Revd Samwiri Namakhetsa Khaemba Wabulakha, Bishop.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Almighty and most merciful God,
drive from us all weakness of body, mind, and spirit;
that, being restored to wholeness,
we may with free hearts become what you intend us to be
and accomplish what you want us to do;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Almighty God,
you instructed the heart of Robert Machray
to guide the Church in Canada
in the counsels of peace and unity.
Preserve us in wisdom
and lead us in truth,
that we may build upon the one foundation,
which is Jesus Christ our Lord,
who is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer from _Common
Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The first collect is from _The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and

The second collect is adapted from _For All the Saints_, (c)
General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

A biography of Robert Machray can be found at:

http://justus.anglican.org/resources/pc/bios/rmachray.html