OREMUS: 9 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Mar 8 23:45:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, March 9, 2005
Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy, Priest, Poet, 1929

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 3

Lord, how many adversaries I have!*
 how many there are who rise up against me!
How many there are who say of me,*
 'There is no help for him in his God.'
But you, O Lord, are a shield about me;*
 you are my glory, the one who lifts up my head.
I call aloud upon the Lord*
 and he answers me from his holy hill;
I lie down and go to sleep;*
 I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
I do not fear the multitudes of people*
 who set themselves against me all around.
Rise up, O Lord; set me free, O my God;*
 surely, you will strike all my enemies across the face,
   you will break the teeth of the wicked.
Deliverance belongs to the Lord.*
 Your blessing be upon your people!

Psalm 6

Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
Have pity on me, Lord, for I am weak;*
 heal me, Lord, for my bones are racked.
My spirit shakes with terror;*
 how long, O Lord, how long?
Turn, O Lord, and deliver me;*
 save me for your mercy's sake.
For in death no one remembers you;*
 and who will give you thanks in the grave?
I grow weary because of my groaning;*
 every night I drench my bed
   and flood my couch with tears.
My eyes are wasted with grief*
 and worn away because of all my enemies.
Depart from me, all evildoers,*
 for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;*
 the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be confounded and quake with fear;*
 they shall turn back and suddenly be put to shame.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55:6-11)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;

Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;

Return to the Lord,
who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.

'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways', says the Lord.

'For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

'As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,

'Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,

'So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,

'But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Romans 6:12-23]:

Therefore, do not let sin exercise dominion in your
mortal bodies, to make you obey their passions. No longer
present your members to sin as instruments of wickedness,
but present yourselves to God as those who have been
brought from death to life, and present your members to
God as instruments of righteousness. For sin will have no
dominion over you, since you are not under law but under
grace.
What then? Should we sin because we are not under law but
under grace? By no means! Do you not know that if you
present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are
slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which
leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to
righteousness? But thanks be to God that you, having once
been slaves of sin, have become obedient from the heart
to the form of teaching to which you were entrusted, and
that you, having been set free from sin, have become
slaves of righteousness. I am speaking in human terms
because of your natural limitations. For just as you once
presented your members as slaves to impurity and to
greater and greater iniquity, so now present your members
as slaves to righteousness for sanctification.
When you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to
righteousness. So what advantage did you then get from
the things of which you now are ashamed? The end of those
things is death. But now that you have been freed from
sin and enslaved to God, the advantage you get is
sanctification. The end is eternal life. For the wages of
sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in
Christ Jesus our Lord.

For another Biblical reading,
Jeremiah 16:10-21

HYMN
Words: Frances Ridley Havergal, 1874
Tune: Mozart, Hollingside
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t007.html

Take my life, and let it be
consecrated, Lord, to thee;
take my moments and my days,
let them flow in ceaseless praise.

Take my hands, and let them move
at the impulse of thy love;
take my feet, and let them be
swift and beautiful for thee.

Take my voice, and let me sing
always, only, for my King;
take my lips, and let them be
filled with messages from thee.

Take my silver and my gold,
not a mite would I withhold;
take my intellect, and use
every power as thou shalt choose.

Take my will and make it thine;
it shall be no longer mine.
take my heart, it is thine own;
it shall be thy royal throne.

Take my love; my Lord, I pour
at thy feet its treasure store;
take my self, and I will be
ever, only, all for thee.

Lord God,
whom we love and whom we desire to love more,
bring us to love you as much as we ought.

Come with Christ and dwell in our hearts
and keep watch over our lips, our steps, and our deeds
and we shall not need to be anxious either for our souls or our bodies.

Give us love that knows no enemy
and love that is for others as you love us.

Cause our hearts frozen in sin, cold to you and cold to others,
to be warmed by your divine fire.

Hear us as we embrace in the circle of your love:
the life of your Church, especially the Diocese of Mbaise, Nigeria,
The Rt Revd Bright Joseph Egemasi Ogu, Bishop....

the world groaning...

the cares of our own lives...

and those particular concerns which your Spirit prompts...

Shield and Protector of all,
hear the prayers of those who call upon you,
and set them free from violence, persecution and fear,
that all may know that deliverance belongs to you.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ,
our Savior and Redeemer. Amen.

God, shepherd of your people,
whose servant Geoffrey revealed the loving service of Christ
in his ministry as a pastor of your people:
awaken within us the love of Christ
and keep us faithful to our Christian calling;
through him who laid down his life for us,
but is alive and reigns with you, now and for ever. Amen.

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer from _Common
Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of
Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c)
1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

Born in 1883, Studdert Kennedy was a young vicar in Worcester who became
an army chaplain during the First World War. His warm personality soon
earned the respect of soldiers, who nicknamed him 'Woodbine Willie' after the
brand of cigarettes he shared with them. After the First World War, he became
a writer and regular preacher, drawing large crowds, who were attracted by his
combination of traditional sacramental theology with more unconventional
theological views. He worked tirelessly for the Christian Industrial Fellowship,
but his frail health gave way and he died (still a young man) on this day in
1929. [Exciting Holiness]