OREMUS: 6 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Mar 5 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, March 6, 2005
The Fourth Sunday in Lent

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 69

Save me, O God,*
 for the waters have risen up to my neck.
I am sinking in deep mire,*
 and there is no firm ground for my feet.
I have come into deep waters,*
 and the torrent washes over me.
I have grown weary with my crying;
   my throat is inflamed;*
 my eyes have failed from looking for my God.
Those who hate me without a cause
   are more than the hairs of my head;
   my lying foes who would destroy me are mighty.*
 Must I then give back what I never stole?
O God, you know my foolishness,*
 and my faults are not hidden from you.
Let not those who hope in you
   be put to shame through me, Lord God of hosts;*
 let not those who seek you be disgraced because of me,
   O God of Israel.
Surely, for your sake have I suffered reproach,*
 and shame has covered my face.
I have become a stranger to my own kindred,*
 an alien to my mother's children.
Zeal for your house has eaten me up;*
 the scorn of those who scorn you has fallen upon me.
I humbled myself with fasting,*
 but that was turned to my reproach.
I put on sack-cloth also,*
 and became a byword among them.
Those who sit at the gate murmur against me,*
 and the drunkards make songs about me.
But as for me, this is my prayer to you,*
 at the time you have set, O Lord:
'In your great mercy, O God,*
 answer me with your unfailing help.
'Save me from the mire; do not let me sink;*
 let me be rescued from those who hate me
   and out of the deep waters.
'Let not the torrent of waters wash over me,
   neither let the deep swallow me up;*
 do not let the Pit shut its mouth upon me.
'Answer me, O Lord, for your love is kind;*
 in your great compassion, turn to me.
'Hide not your face from your servant;*
 be swift and answer me, for I am in distress.
'Draw near to me and redeem me;*
 because of my enemies deliver me.
'You know my reproach, my shame and my dishonour;*
 my adversaries are all in your sight.'
Reproach has broken my heart and it cannot be healed;*
 I looked for sympathy, but there was none,
   for comforters, but I could find no one.
They gave me gall to eat,*
 and when I was thirsty, they gave me vinegar to drink.
As for me, I am afflicted and in pain;*
 your help, O God, will lift me up on high.
I will praise the name of God in song;*
 I will proclaim his greatness with thanksgiving.
This will please the Lord more than an offering of oxen,*
 more than bullocks with horns and hoofs.
The afflicted shall see and be glad;*
 you who seek God, your heart shall live.
For the Lord listens to the needy,*
 and his prisoners he does not despise.
Let the heavens and the earth praise him,*
 the seas and all that moves in them;
For God will save Zion and rebuild the cities of Judah;*
 they shall live there and have it in possession.
The children of his servants will inherit it,*
 and those who love his name will dwell therein.

The Song of Christ's Glory (Philippians 2:5-11)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
 but he did not cling to equality with God.

He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
 and was born in our human likeness.

Being found in human form he humbled himself,
 and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

Therefore God has highly exalted him,
 and bestowed on him the name above every name.

That at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow,
 in heaven and on earth and under the earth;

And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
 to the glory of God the Father.

Psalm 117

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Exodus 5:1-9,19-6:1]:

Afterwards Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and said,
'Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel, "Let my people
go, so that they may celebrate a festival to me in the
wilderness." ' But Pharaoh said, 'Who is the LORD, that I
should heed him and let Israel go? I do not know the
LORD, and I will not let Israel go.' Then they said, 'The
God of the Hebrews has revealed himself to us; let us go
a three days' journey into the wilderness to sacrifice to
the LORD our God, or he will fall upon us with pestilence
or sword.' But the king of Egypt said to them, 'Moses and
Aaron, why are you taking the people away from their
work? Get to your labours!' Pharaoh continued, 'Now they
are more numerous than the people of the land and yet you
want them to stop working!' That same day Pharaoh
commanded the taskmasters of the people, as well as their
supervisors, 'You shall no longer give the people straw
to make bricks, as before; let them go and gather straw
for themselves. But you shall require of them the same
quantity of bricks as they have made previously; do not
diminish it, for they are lazy; that is why they cry,
"Let us go and offer sacrifice to our God." Let heavier
work be laid on them; then they will labour at it and pay
no attention to deceptive words.' The Israelite
supervisors saw that they were in trouble when they were
told, 'You shall not lessen your daily number of bricks.'
As they left Pharaoh, they came upon Moses and Aaron who
were waiting to meet them. They said to them, 'The LORD
look upon you and judge! You have brought us into bad
odour with Pharaoh and his officials, and have put a
sword in their hand to kill us.'
Then Moses turned again to the LORD and said, 'O LORD,
why have you mistreated this people? Why did you ever
send me? Since I first came to Pharaoh to speak in your
name, he has mistreated this people, and you have done
nothing at all to deliver your people.'
Then the LORD said to Moses, 'Now you shall see what I
will do to Pharaoh: Indeed, by a mighty hand he will let
them go; by a mighty hand he will drive them out of his
land.'

For another Biblical reading,
Matthew 27:1-31

HYMN
Words: stanzas 1-2: Moravian, 1832;
stanzas 3-4: James Montgomery, 1825
Tune: St. Agnes
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s110.html

 Shepherd of souls, refresh and bless
thy chosen pilgrim flock
with manna in the wilderness,
with water from the rock.

We would not live by bread alone,
but by thy word of grace,
in strength of which we travel on
to our abiding place.

Be known to us in breaking bread,
and do not then depart;
Savior, abide with us, and spread
thy table in our heart.

Lord, sup with us in love divine,
thy Body and thy Blood,
that living bread, that heavenly wine,
be our immortal food.

Lord, we pray for this modern world
in which faith comes hard,
where people find it difficult to raise their eyes
above the material things that are so necessary to life.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who find it hard to believe
because they have too many things,
and for those who find it hard
because they don't have enough.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who have more to eat than they need,
and those who are dying from lack of food.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for parents who, because of their poverty
and a lack of concern on the part of others,
must watch their children die.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who suffer from disease,
from confusion and guilt, from depression and fear.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who face each day with dread
because their lives are so dominated by the power of others.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are so lonely
that life is robbed of all loveliness and hope.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Lord, we pray because our love for you is a love for one
whose compassion embraces all human suffering.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

God of compassion,
you are slow to anger, and full of mercy,
welcoming sinners who return to you with penitent hearts.
Receive in your loving embrace all who come home to you.
Seat them at your bountiful table of grace,
that, with all your children, they may feast with delight
on all that satisfies the hungry heart.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Savior,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer from _Common
Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The intercession is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice Press,
1997. Reproduced with permission.

Westminster / John Knox Press.