OREMUS: 5 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Mar 4 22:56:34 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, March 5, 2005

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 31

In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge;
   let me never be put to shame;*
 deliver me in your righteousness.
Incline your ear to me;*
 make haste to deliver me.
Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe,
   for you are my crag and my stronghold;*
 for the sake of your name, lead me and guide me.
Take me out of the net
   that they have secretly set for me,*
 for you are my tower of strength.
Into your hands I commend my spirit,*
 for you have redeemed me,
   O Lord, O God of truth.
I hate those who cling to worthless idols,*
 and I put my trust in the Lord.
I will rejoice and be glad because of your mercy;*
 for you have seen my affliction;
   you know my distress.
You have not shut me up in the power of the enemy;*
 you have set my feet in an open place.
Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble;*
 my eye is consumed with sorrow,
   and also my throat and my belly.
For my life is wasted with grief,
   and my years with sighing;*
 my strength fails me because of affliction,
   and my bones are consumed.
I have become a reproach to all my enemies
   and even to my neighbours,
   a dismay to those of my acquaintance;*
 when they see me in the street they avoid me.
I am forgotten like the dead, out of mind;*
 I am as useless as a broken pot.
For I have heard the whispering of the crowd;
   fear is all around;*
 they put their heads together against me;
   they plot to take my life.
But as for me, I have trusted in you, O Lord.*
 I have said, 'You are my God.
'My times are in your hand;*
 rescue me from the hand of my enemies,
   and from those who persecute me.
'Make your face to shine upon your servant,*
 and in your loving-kindness save me.'
Lord, let me not be ashamed
   for having called upon you;*
 rather, let the wicked be put to shame;
   let them be silent in the grave.
Let the lying lips be silenced
   which speak against the righteous,*
 haughtily, disdainfully and with contempt.
How great is your goodness, O Lord,
   which you have laid up for those who fear you;*
 which you have done in the sight of all
   for those who put their trust in you.
You hide them in the covert of your presence
   from those who slander them;*
 you keep them in your shelter from the strife of tongues.
Blessed be the Lord!*
 for he has shown me the wonders of his love
   in a besieged city.
Yet I said in my alarm,
   'I have been cut off from the sight of your eyes.'*
 Nevertheless, you heard the sound of my entreaty
   when I cried out to you.
Love the Lord, all you who worship him;*
 the Lord protects the faithful,
   but repays to the full those who act haughtily.
Be strong and let your heart take courage,*
 all you who wait for the Lord.

A Song of Repentance (1 John 1:5-9)

This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.

If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.

But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.

And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.

If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [James 5]:

Come now, you rich people, weep and wail for the miseries
that are coming to you. Your riches have rotted, and your
clothes are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver have rusted,
and their rust will be evidence against you, and it will
eat your flesh like fire. You have laid up treasure for
the last days. Listen! The wages of the labourers who
mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, cry out,
and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of
the Lord of hosts. You have lived on the earth in luxury
and in pleasure; you have fattened your hearts on a day
of slaughter. You have condemned and murdered the
righteous one, who does not resist you.
Be patient, therefore, beloved, until the coming of the
Lord. The farmer waits for the precious crop from the
earth, being patient with it until it receives the early
and the late rains. You also must be patient. Strengthen
your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is near. Beloved,
do not grumble against one another, so that you may not
be judged. See, the Judge is standing at the doors! As an
example of suffering and patience, beloved, take the
prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. Indeed we
call blessed those who showed endurance. You have heard
of the endurance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of
the Lord, how the Lord is compassionate and merciful.
Above all, my beloved, do not swear, either by heaven or
by earth or by any other oath, but let your 'Yes' be yes
and your 'No' be no, so that you may not fall under
condemnation.
Are any among you suffering? They should pray. Are any
cheerful? They should sing songs of praise. Are any among
you sick? They should call for the elders of the church
and have them pray over them, anointing them with oil in
the name of the Lord. The prayer of faith will save the
sick, and the Lord will raise them up; and anyone who has
committed sins will be forgiven. Therefore confess your
sins to one another, and pray for one another, so that
you may be healed. The prayer of the righteous is
powerful and effective. Elijah was a human being like us,
and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for
three years and six months it did not rain on the earth.
Then he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain and the
earth yielded its harvest.
My brothers and sisters, if anyone among you wanders from
the truth and is brought back by another, you should know
that whoever brings back a sinner from wandering will
save the sinner's soul from death and will cover a
multitude of sins.

For another Biblical reading,
Prayer of Manasseh

HYMN
Words: Henry Scott Holland, 1902, alt.
Tune: Komm, O komm, du Geist des Lebens (St. Leonard), Rhuddlan
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j254.html

Judge eternal, throned in splendor,
Lord of lords and King of kings,
with thy living fire of judgment
purge this land of bitter things;
solace all its wide dominion
with the healing of thy wings.

Still the weary folk are pining
for the hour that brings release,
and the city's crowded clangor
cries aloud for sin to cease;
and the homesteads and the woodlands
plead in silence for their peace.

Crown, O God, thine own endeavor;
cleave our darkness with thy sword;
feed all those who do not know thee
with the richness of thy word;
cleanse the body of this nation
through the glory of the Lord.

O Lord, answer us in the day of trouble,
Send us help from your holy place.

Show us the path of life,
For in your presence is joy.

Give justice to the orphan and oppressed
And break the power of wickedness and evil.

Look upon the hungry and sorrowful
And grant them the help for which they long.

Let the heavens rejoice and the earth be glad;
May your glory endure for ever.

Your kingship has dominion over all
And with you is our redemption.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially
the Diocese of Masvingo, Central Africa, The Rt Revd Godfrey Taonezvi, Bishop.
Return to top of page
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Helper of the helpless,
Comfort of the afflicted,
may your servants who stand in the midst of evil
find strength in the knowledge of your presence,
and praise you for the wonders of your love;
through Jesus Christ our Redeemer. Amen.

God of love,
turn our hearts to your ways;
and give us peace. Amen.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer from _Common
Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The closing sentence is from An Invitation to Prayer, (c) The Church of
England, 2001-2003.