OREMUS: 4 March 2005

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Fri Mar 4 11:05:30 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, March 4, 2005

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

Have mercy on me, O God,
    according to your loving-kindness;*
  in your great compassion blot out my offences.
Wash me through and through from my wickedness*
  and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,*
  and my sin is ever before me.
Against you only have I sinned*
  and done what is evil in your sight.
And so you are justified when you speak*
  and upright in your judgement.
Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth,*
  a sinner from my mother’s womb.
For behold, you look for truth deep within me,*
  and will make me understand wisdom secretly.
Purge me from my sin and I shall be pure;*
  wash me and I shall be clean indeed.
Make me hear of joy and gladness,*
  that the body you have broken may rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins*
  and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,*
  and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence*
  and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again*
  and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
I shall teach your ways to the wicked,*
  and sinners shall return to you.
Deliver me from death, O God,*
  and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
    O God of my salvation.
Open my lips, O Lord,*
  and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice,*
  but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit;*
  a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Be favourable and gracious to Zion,*
  and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
    with burnt-offerings and oblations;*
  then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

A Song of Christ the Servant (1 Peter 2.21b-25

Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example,
that you should follow in his steps.

He committed no sin, no guile was found on his lips,
when he was reviled, he did not revile in turn.

When he suffered, he did not threaten,
but he trusted himself to God who judges justly.

Christ himself bore our sins in his body on the tree,
that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.

By his wounds, you have been healed,
for you were straying like sheep,
but have now returned
cato the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

READING [Romans 7:7-13]:

Jesus said, 'I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge; and my
judgement is just, because I seek to do not my own will but the will of him
who sent me.

'If I testify about myself, my testimony is not true. There is another who
testifies on my behalf, and I know that his testimony to me is true. You
sent messengers to John, and he testified to the truth. Not that I accept
such human testimony, but I say these things so that you may be saved. He
was a burning and shining lamp, and you were willing to rejoice for a while
in his light. But I have a testimony greater than John's. The works that
the Father has given me to complete, the very works that I am doing,
testify on my behalf that the Father has sent me. And the Father who sent
me has himself testified on my behalf. You have never heard his voice or
seen his form, and you do not have his word abiding in you, because you do
not believe him whom he has sent.

'You search the scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal
life; and it is they that testify on my behalf. Yet you refuse to come to
me to have life. I do not accept glory from human beings. But I know that
you do not have the love of God in you. I have come in my Father's name,
and you do not accept me; if another comes in his own name, you will accept
him. How can you believe when you accept glory from one another and do not
seek the glory that comes from the one who alone is God? Do not think that
I will accuse you before the Father; your accuser is Moses, on whom you
have set your hope. If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he
wrote about me. But if you do not believe what he wrote, how will you
believe what I say?'

For another Biblical reading, Numbers 22:41-23:12

HYMN
Words: Thomas Hughes, 1859
Tune: Old Martyrs

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o192.html

O God of truth, whose living Word
upholds whate'er hath breath,
look down on thy creation, Lord,
enslaved by sin and death.

Set up thy standard, Lord, that we,
who claim a heavenly birth,
may march with thee to smite the lies
that vex thy ransomed earth.

Ah! would we join that blest array,
and follow in the might
of him, the Faithful and the True,
in raiment clean and white!

Then, God of truth for whom we long,
thou who wilt hear our prayer,
do thine own battle in our hearts,
and slay the falsehood there.

Yea, come! then tried as in the fire,
from every lie set free,
thy perfect truth shall dwell in us,
and we shall live in thee.

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Send forth your strength, O God,
Establish what you have wrought in us.

Uphold all those who fall
And raise up those who are bowed down.

Open the eyes of the blind
And set the prisoners free.

Sustain the orphan and widow
And give food to those who hunger.

Grant them the joy of your help again
And sustain them with your Spirit.

O Lord, judge the peoples
And take all nations for your own.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially
the Diocese of Western Massachusetts, USA, The Rt Revd Gordon Scruton, Bishop.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Grant us, O Lord our Strength,
a true love of your holy Name;
so that, trusting in your grace,
we may fear no earthly evil,
nor fix our hearts on earthly goods,
but may rejoice in your full salvation;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

God of love, turn our hearts to your ways; and give us peace. Amen

The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer use phrases from
a prayer in Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language. Canterbury
Press, Norwich, 1999.