OREMUS: 3 March 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Mar 2 22:05:57 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, March 3, 2005
John and Charles Wesley, Evangelists, Hymn Writers, 1791 and 1788

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 27

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.
What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

A Song of Jonah (Jonah 2:2-7,9)

I called to you, O God, out of my distress
and you answered me;
out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
and you heard my voice.

You cast me into the deep,
into the heart of the seas,
and the flood surrounded me,
all your waves and billows passed over me.

Then I said, I am driven away from your sight;
how shall I ever look again upon your holy temple?

The waters closed in over me,
the deep was round about me;
weeds were wrapped around my head
at the roots of the mountains.

I went down to the land whose bars closed upon me for ever,
yet you brought up my life from the depths, O God.

As my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, O God,
and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.

With the voice of thanksgiving, I will sacrifice to you;
what I have vowed I will pay,
deliverance belongs to the Lord!

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [John 5:25-29]:

Jesus said, 'Very truly, I tell you, the hour is coming,
and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the
Son of God, and those who hear will live. For just as the
Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son
also to have life in himself; and he has given him
authority to execute judgement, because he is the Son of
Man. Do not be astonished at this; for the hour is coming
when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and
will come out those who have done good, to the
resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to
the resurrection of condemnation.'

For another Biblical reading,
Numbers 22:21-38

HYMN
Words: John and Charles Wesley, 1745
Tune: Das neugeborne Kindelein
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o624.html

O thou, before the world began,
ordained a sacrifice for man,
and by the eternal Spirit made
an offering in the sinner's stead;
our everlasting Priest art thou,
pleading thy death for sinners now.

Thy offering still continues new
before the righteous Father's view;
thyself the Lamb forever slain;
thy priesthood doth unchanged remain;
thy years, O God, can never fail,
nor thy blest work within the veil.

O that our faith may never move,
but stand unshaken as thy love,
sure evidence of things unseen;
now let it pass the years between
and view thee bleeding on the tree:
my Lord, my God, who dies for me.

Lord, open a path for your Word
To declare the mystery of Christ.

Turn now, O God of hosts;
Behold and tend the vine you have planted.

May your people rejoice and sing,
And your ministers be clothed with salvation.

May they stand and feed your flock
In the strength of your name.

Keep from trouble all those who trust in you
And forget not the poor for ever.

Have mercy, O Lord, upon us,
As we have put our hope in you.

For your Church, O Lord, we pray, especially
the Diocese of Massachusetts, USA, The Rt Revd M Thomas Shaw, Bishop.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Keep watch over your Church, O Lord,
with your unfailing love;
 and, since it is grounded in human weakness
and cannot maintain itself without your aid,
protect it from all danger,
 and keep it in the way of salvation;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Lord God,
you inspired your servants John and Charles Wesley
with burning zeal for the sanctification of souls,
and endowed them with eloquence in speech and song:
Kindle in your Church, we entreat you, such fervor,
that those whose faith has cooled may be warmed,
and those who have not known Christ
may turn to him and be saved;
through him who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,

God of love,
turn our hearts to your ways;
and give us peace. Amen.

The closing sentence is from An Invitation to Prayer, (c) The Church of
England, 2001-2003.

The collects are from _The Proper for the Lesser Feasts and

Born at Epworth Rectory in Lincolnshire, John Wesley was the son of an
Anglican clergyman and a Puritan mother. He entered Holy Orders and,
following a religious experience on this day in 1738, began an itinerant ministry
which recognised no parish boundaries. This resulted, after his death, in the
development of a world-wide Methodist Church. His spirituality involved an
Arminian affirmation of grace, frequent communion and a disciplined corporate
search for holiness. His open-air preaching, concern for education and for the
poor, liturgical revision, organisation of local societies and training of
preachers provided a firm basis for Christian growth and mission in England.

Charles shared with his brother John the building up of early Methodist
societies, as they travelled the country. His special concern was that early
Methodists should remain loyal to Anglicanism. He married and settled in
Bristol, later in London, concentrating his work on the local Christian
communities. His thousands of hymns established a resource of lyrical piety
which has enabled generations of Christians to re-discover the refining power
of God's love. They celebrate God's work of grace from birth to death, the
great events of God's work of salvation and the rich themes of eucharistic
worship, anticipating the taking up of humanity into the divine life.
John died in 1791 and Charles in 1788. [Exciting Holiness]