OREMUS: 30 June 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jun 29 23:57:31 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, June 30, 2005

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for setting us free in Jesus Christ
with a power greater than all that would keep us captive.
You call us to turn from the ways of the world
and to accept the fullness of joy in the Spirit
and follow the way of the cross,
which frees us to love one another
for the sake of all creation.

O Lord our governor,*
 how exalted is your name in all the world!
Out of the mouths of infants and children*
 your majesty is praised above the heavens.
You have set up a stronghold against your adversaries,*
 to quell the enemy and the avenger.
When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers,*
 the moon and the stars you have set in their courses,
What are mortals, that you should be mindful of them?*
 mere human beings, that you should seek them out?
You have made them little lower than the angels;*
 you adorn them with glory and honour.
You give them mastery over the works of your hands;*
 and put all things under their feet,
All sheep and oxen,*
 even the wild beasts of the field,
The birds of the air, the fish of the sea,*
 and whatsoever walks in the paths of the sea.
O Lord our governor,*
 how exalted is your name in all the world!

Psalm 16

Protect me, O God, for I take refuge in you;*
 I have said to the Lord, 'You are my Lord,
   my good above all other.'
All my delight is upon the godly that are in the land,*
 upon those who are noble among the people.
But those who run after other gods*
 shall have their troubles multiplied.
Their libations of blood I will not offer,*
 nor take the names of their gods upon my lips.
O Lord, you are my portion and my cup;*
 it is you who uphold my lot.
My boundaries enclose a pleasant land;*
 indeed, I have a goodly heritage.
I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel;*
 my heart teaches me, night after night.
I have set the Lord always before me;*
 because he is at my right hand I shall not fall.
My heart, therefore, is glad and my spirit rejoices;*
 my body also shall rest in hope.
For you will not abandon me to the grave,*
 nor let your holy one see the Pit.
You will show me the path of life;*
 in your presence there is fullness of joy,
   and in your right hand are pleasures for evermore.

A Song of the New Jerusalem (Isaiah 60.1-3,11a,18,19,14b

Arise, shine out, for your light has come,
the glory of the Lord is rising upon you.

Though night still covers the earth,
and darkness the peoples;

Above you the Holy One arises,
and above you God's glory appears.

The nations will come to your light,
and kings to your dawning brightness.

Your gates will lie open continually,
shut neither by day nor by night.

The sound of violence shall be heard no longer in your land,
or ruin and devastation within your borders.

You will call your walls, Salvation,
and your gates, Praise.

No more will the sun give you daylight,
nor moonlight shine upon you;

But the Lord will be your everlasting light,
your God will be your splendour.

For you shall be called the city of God,
the dwelling of the Holy One of Israel.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [2 Samuel 1:1-16]:

After the death of Saul, when David had returned from
defeating the Amalekites, David remained two days in
Ziklag. On the third day, a man came from Saul's camp,
with his clothes torn and dirt on his head. When he came
to David, he fell to the ground and did obeisance. David
said to him, 'Where have you come from?' He said to him,
'I have escaped from the camp of Israel.' David said to
him, 'How did things go? Tell me!' He answered, 'The army
fled from the battle, but also many of the army fell and
died; and Saul and his son Jonathan also died.' Then
David asked the young man who was reporting to him, 'How
do you know that Saul and his son Jonathan died?' The
young man reporting to him said, 'I happened to be on
Mount Gilboa; and there was Saul leaning on his spear,
while the chariots and the horsemen drew close to him.
When he looked behind him, he saw me, and called to me. I
answered, "Here, sir." And he said to me, "Who are you?"
I answered him, "I am an Amalekite." He said to me,
"Come, stand over me and kill me; for convulsions have
seized me, and yet my life still lingers." So I stood
over him, and killed him, for I knew that he could not
live after he had fallen. I took the crown that was on
his head and the armlet that was on his arm, and I have
brought them here to my lord.'
Then David took hold of his clothes and tore them; and
all the men who were with him did the same. They mourned
and wept, and fasted until evening for Saul and for his
son Jonathan, and for the army of the LORD and for the
house of Israel, because they had fallen by the sword.
David said to the young man who had reported to him,
'Where do you come from?' He answered, 'I am the son of a
resident alien, an Amalekite.' David said to him, 'Were
you not afraid to lift your hand to destroy the LORD's
anointed?' Then David called one of the young men and
said, 'Come here and strike him down.' So he struck him
down and he died. David said to him, 'Your blood be on
your head; for your own mouth has testified against you,
saying, "I have killed the LORD's anointed." '

For another Biblical reading,
Mark 6:1-13

HYMN
Words:  James Montgomery (1771-1854)
Tune: Crger
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h043.html

Hail to the Lord's Anointed,
great David's greater Son!
Hail, in the time appointed,
his reign on earth begun!
He comes to break oppression,
to set the captive free,
to take away transgression,
and rule in equity.

He comes, with succour speedy,
to those who suffer wrong;
to help the poor and needy,
and bid the weak be strong;
to give them songs for sighing,
their darkness turn to light,
whose souls, condemned and dying,
were precious in his sight.

He shall come down like showers
upon the fruitful earth;
love, joy, and hope, like flowers,
spring in his path to birth;
before him, on the mountains,
shall peace the herald go;
and righteousness, in fountains,
from hill to valley flow.

Kings shall fall down before him,
and gold and incense bring;
all nations shall adore him,
his praise all people sing;
to him shall prayer unceasing
and daily vows ascend,
his kingdom still increasing,
a kingdom without end.

O'er every foe victorious,
he on his throne shall rest;
from age to age more glorious,
all-blessing and all-blest.
the tide of time shall never
his covenant remove;
his name shall stand for ever,
his changeless Name of love.

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name,
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it.
Protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy.
Sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son.
May we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world
so send us, to make your glory known.

We pray for the Diocese of Olympia, USA,
The Rt Revd Vincent W Warner, Bishop.
Lord, hear our prayer.

O God the Word and Son of God,
exalted is your name in all creation,
yet you have stooped to become one with us:
as you have ordained humanity the steward of your creation,
so minister through us the mystery of your salvation;
to the glory of your holy Name. Amen.

Keep us true to the way of your Son,
that we may leave behind all that hinders us
and, with eyes fixed on him,
walk surely in the path of the kingdom. Amen.

The psalms, collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from two prayers reprinted
from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c)
2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The closing prayer are adapted from prayers in _Opening Prayers: