OREMUS: 26 June 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jun 25 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, June 26, 2005
The Sixth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for setting us free in Jesus Christ
with a power greater than all that would keep us captive.
You call us to turn from the ways of the world
and to accept the fullness of joy in the Spirit
and follow the way of the cross,
which frees us to love one another
for the sake of all creation.

Psalm 89:1-9,11-14,18-21,24-29, 52

Your love, O Lord, for ever will I sing;*
 from age to age my mouth will proclaim your faithfulness.
For I am persuaded that your love is established for ever;*
 you have set your faithfulness firmly in the heavens.
'I have made a covenant with my chosen one;*
 I have sworn an oath to David my servant:
'"I will establish your line for ever,*
 and preserve your throne for all generations."'
The heavens bear witness to your wonders, O Lord,*
 and to your faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones;
For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord?*
 who is like the Lord among the gods?
God is much to be feared in the council of the holy ones,*
 great and terrible to all those round about him.
Who is like you, Lord God of hosts?*
 O mighty Lord, your faithfulness is all around you.
You rule the raging of the sea*
 and still the surging of its waves.
Yours are the heavens; the earth also is yours;*
 you laid the foundations of the world
   and all that is in it.
You have made the north and the south;*
 Tabor and Hermon rejoice in your name.
You have a mighty arm;*
 strong is your hand and high is your right hand.
Righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of your throne;*
 love and truth go before your face.
Truly, the Lord is our ruler;*
 the Holy One of Israel is our king.
You spoke once in a vision
   and said to your faithful people:*
 'I have set the crown upon a warrior
   and have exalted one chosen out of the people.
'I have found David my servant;*
 with my holy oil have I anointed him.
'My hand will hold him fast*
 and my arm will make him strong.
'My faithfulness and love shall be with him,*
 and he shall be victorious through my name.
'I shall make his dominion extend*
 from the Great Sea to the River.
'He will say to me, "You are my Father,*
 my God and the rock of my salvation."
'I will make him my first-born*
 and higher than the kings of the earth.
'I will keep my love for him for ever,*
 and my covenant will stand firm for him.
'I will establish his line for ever*
 and his throne as the days of heaven.
Blessed be the Lord for evermore!*
 Amen, I say, Amen.

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26;22.1,2b,2d,3b-4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.

And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it,
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.

By its light the nations shall walk,
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.

Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night;
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.

I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal,
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month,
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.

The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him;
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

for ever and ever. Amen.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Genesis 22:15-19;23:1-15]:

The angel of the LORD called to Abraham a second time
from heaven, and said, 'By myself I have sworn, says the
LORD: Because you have done this, and have not withheld
your son, your only son, I will indeed bless you, and I
will make your offspring as numerous as the stars of
heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. And your
offspring shall possess the gate of their enemies, and by
your offspring shall all the nations of the earth gain
blessing for themselves, because you have obeyed my
voice.' So Abraham returned to his young men, and they
arose and went together to Beer-sheba; and Abraham lived
at Beer-sheba.
Sarah lived for one hundred and twenty-seven years; this
was the length of Sarah's life. And Sarah died at
Kiriath-arba (that is, Hebron) in the land of Canaan; and
Abraham went in to mourn for Sarah and to weep for her.
Abraham rose up from beside his dead, and said to the
Hittites, 'I am a stranger and an alien residing among
you; give me property among you for a burying-place, so
that I may bury my dead out of my sight.' The Hittites
answered Abraham, 'Hear us, my lord; you are a mighty
prince among us. Bury your dead in the choicest of our
burial places; none of us will withhold from you any
burial ground for burying your dead.' Abraham rose and
bowed to the Hittites, the people of the land. He said to
them, 'If you are willing that I should bury my dead out
of my sight, hear me, and entreat for me Ephron son of
Zohar, so that he may give me the cave of Machpelah,
which he owns; it is at the end of his field. For the
full price let him give it to me in your presence as a
possession for a burying-place.' Now Ephron was sitting
among the Hittites; and Ephron the Hittite answered
Abraham in the hearing of the Hittites, of all who went
in at the gate of his city, 'No, my lord, hear me; I give
you the field, and I give you the cave that is in it; in
the presence of my people I give it to you; bury your
dead.' Then Abraham bowed down before the people of the
land. He said to Ephron in the hearing of the people of
the land, 'If you only will listen to me! I will give the
price of the field; accept it from me, so that I may bury
my dead there.' Ephron answered Abraham, 'My lord, listen
to me; a piece of land worth four hundred shekels of
silver what is that between you and me? Bury your dead.'

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 7:1-6

HYMN
Words:   Marnie Barrell, 1995
Tune: Blaenwern, Rustington, Hyfrydol, Abbot's Leigh
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/barrell/mb15.html

Praise to God, whose Holy Spirit
formed the life in Mary's womb,
won the trust of gentle Joseph
praise to God for Jesus' home.
We give thanks for those who loved him,
fed his body, shaped his mind;
all who helped to make him holy
blessed, through him, all humankind.

Poor the home where humble parents
lived and worked beside the boy
poor in comforts and possessions,
rich in wisdom, love and joy.
Here was suffering met with courage,
here God's will was daily done;
rich indeed the home where Jesus
grew as God's beloved Son.

Faithful Israel's son and daughter,
chosen from the chosen race,
we will honour you and praise you,
first to see God's human face.
Heirs of Abraham and Sarah,
you bring us, through Jesus' birth,
every blessing God has promised
all the families of earth.

Mighty God of mercy, we thank you for the resurrection
dawn bringing the glory of our risen Lord who makes every
day new. Especially we thank you for
     the beauty of your creation...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the new creation in Christ and all gifts of healing and forgiveness...
     the sustaining love of family and friends...
     the fellowship of faith in your church...

Merciful God of might, renew this weary world, heal the
hurts of all your children, and bring about your peace in
Christ Jesus, the living Lord. Especially we pray for
     those who govern nations of the world...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     the people in countries ravaged by strife or warfare ...
     all who work for peace and international harmony...
     all who strive to save the earth from destruction...
     the church of Jesus Christ in every land...

O God,
light of the minds that know you,
life of the souls that love you,
strength of the thoughts that seek you:
Help us so to know you that we may truly love you,
so to love you that we may fully serve you,
whose service is perfect freedom;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Keep us true to the way of your Son,
that we may leave behind all that hinders us
and, with eyes fixed on him,
walk surely in the path of the kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from two prayers reprinted
from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c)
2002 Consultation on Common Texts

This hymn is reproduced here with the kind permission of the author; if you
wish to reproduce it further, please apply for permission by sending her an
email.

The intercession and the collect are from _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The closing prayer are adapted from prayers in _Opening Prayers: