OREMUS: 25 June 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jun 24 21:13:28 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, June 25, 2005

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for your Son, our Messiah and Lord,
who did not turn aside from the path of suffering
and did not spare his disciples the prospect of rejection.
You call us through your Spirit
to abandon the security of the easy way
and to follow in Christ's footsteps towards the cross and true life.

The Lord, the God of gods, has spoken;*
 he has called the earth
   from the rising of the sun to its setting.
Out of Zion, perfect in its beauty,*
 God reveals himself in glory.
Our God will come and will not keep silence;*
 before him there is a consuming flame,
   and round about him a raging storm.
He calls the heavens and the earth from above*
 to witness the judgement of his people.
'Gather before me my loyal followers,*
 those who have made a covenant with me
   and sealed it with sacrifice.'
Let the heavens declare the rightness of his cause;*
 for God himself is judge.
Hear, O my people, and I will speak:
   'O Israel, I will bear witness against you;*
 for I am God, your God.
'I do not accuse you because of your sacrifices;*
 your offerings are always before me.
'I will take no bull-calf from your stalls,*
 nor he-goats out of your pens;
'For the beasts of the forest are mine,*
 the herds in their thousands upon the hills.
'I know every bird in the sky,*
 and the creatures of the fields are in my sight.
'If I were hungry, I would not tell you,*
 for the whole world is mine and all that is in it.
'Do you think I eat the flesh of bulls,*
 or drink the blood of goats?
'Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and make good your vows to the Most High.
'Call upon me in the day of trouble;*
 I will deliver you and you shall honour me.'
But to the wicked God says:*
 'Why do you recite my statutes,
   and take my covenant upon your lips;
'Since you refuse discipline,*
 and toss my words behind your back?
'When you see a thief, you make him your friend,*
 and you cast in your lot with adulterers.
'You have loosed your lips for evil,*
 and harnessed your tongue to a lie.
'You are always speaking evil of your brother*
 and slandering your own mother's son.
'These things you have done and I kept still,*
 and you thought that I am like you.
'I have made my accusation;*
 I have put my case in order before your eyes.
'Consider this well, you who forget God,*
 lest I rend you and there be none to deliver you.
'Whoever offers me the sacrifice of thanksgiving
   honours me;*
 but to those who keep in my way
   will I show the salvation of God.'

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Luke 17:20-37]:

Once Jesus was asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of
God was coming, and he answered, 'The kingdom of God is
not coming with things that can be observed; nor will
they say, "Look, here it is!" or "There it is!" For, in
fact, the kingdom of God is among you.'
Then he said to the disciples, 'The days are coming when
you will long to see one of the days of the Son of Man,
and you will not see it. They will say to you, "Look
there!" or "Look here!" Do not go, do not set off in
pursuit. For as the lightning flashes and lights up the
sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of Man be
in his day. But first he must endure much suffering and
be rejected by this generation. Just as it was in the
days of Noah, so too it will be in the days of the Son of
Man. They were eating and drinking, and marrying and
being given in marriage, until the day Noah entered the
ark, and the flood came and destroyed all of them.
Likewise, just as it was in the days of Lot: they were
eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and
building, but on the day that Lot left Sodom, it rained
fire and sulphur from heaven and destroyed all of them
 it will be like that on the day that the Son of Man is
revealed. On that day, anyone on the housetop who has
belongings in the house must not come down to take them
away; and likewise anyone in the field must not turn
back. Remember Lot's wife. Those who try to make their
life secure will lose it, but those who lose their life
will keep it. I tell you, on that night there will be two
in one bed; one will be taken and the other left. There
will be two women grinding meal together; one will be
taken and the other left.' Then they asked him, 'Where,
Lord?' He said to them, 'Where the corpse is, there the
vultures will gather.'

For another Biblical reading,
1 Samuel 28:3-19

HYMN
Words: Lionel B.C.L. Muirhead, 1899
Tune: Capel
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t090.html

The Church of God a kingdom is,
where Christ in power doth reign,
where spirits yearn till seen in bliss
their Lord shall come again.

Glad companies of saints possess
this Church below, above;
and God's perpetual calm doth bless
their paradise of love.

An altar stands within the shrine
whereon, once sacrificed,
is set, immaculate, divine,
the Lamb of God, the Christ.

There rich and poor, from countless lands,
praise Christ on mystic rood;
there nations reach forth holy hands
to take God's holy food.

There pure life-giving streams o'erflow
the sower's garden ground;
and faith and hope fair blossoms show,
and fruits of love abound.

O King, O Christ, this endless grace
to us and all men bring,
to see the vision of thy face
in joy, O Christ, our King.

God of the Covenant,
we are your people through your grace in baptism.

Added one by one to your Church,
you bind us together in repentance and true profession of faith:
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Accustomed to preserving our selfish autonomy,
you call us to a life of mutual oversight and shared mission.
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Teach us to see each other as sisters and brothers
who share a common birth and a family table:
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Show us ways to support one another
that our faith is increased, our hope confirmed
and our love perfected.
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Offer through your Church hospitality
to those seeking Christ and hope.
We pray especially for the Diocese of
Okigwe North, Nigeria, The Rt Revd Alfred Iheanyichukwu Sunday Nwaizuzu, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Okigwe South, Nigeria, currently vacant;
We are reborn by water and the Spirit.

Teach us, good Lord, to serve you as you deserve;
to give and not to count the cost;
to fight and not to heed the wounds;
to toil and not to seek for rest;
to labor and not to ask for any reward,
save that of knowing that we do your will;

In your great power,
transform all our fear
into faith and awe in your saving presence;

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer are adapted from
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of
Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c)
1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

Westminster / John Knox Press.