OREMUS: 23 June 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jun 22 20:57:04 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, June 23, 2005
Etheldreda, Abbess of Ely, c.678

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for your Son, our Messiah and Lord,
who did not turn aside from the path of suffering
and did not spare his disciples the prospect of rejection.
You call us through your Spirit
to abandon the security of the easy way
and to follow in Christ's footsteps towards the cross and true life.

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

Psalm 143

Lord, hear my prayer,
   and in your faithfulness heed my supplications;*
 answer me in your righteousness.
Enter not into judgement with your servant,*
 for in your sight shall no one living be justified.
For my enemy has sought my life
   and has crushed me to the ground;*
 making me live in dark places
   like those who are long dead.
My spirit faints within me;*
 my heart within me is desolate.
I remember the time past;
   I muse upon all your deeds;*
 I consider the works of your hands.
I spread out my hands to you;*
 my soul gasps to you like a thirsty land.
O Lord, make haste to answer me; my spirit fails me;*
 do not hide your face from me
   or I shall be like those who go down to the Pit.
Let me hear of your loving-kindness in the morning,
   for I put my trust in you;*
 show me the road that I must walk,
   for I lift up my soul to you.
Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord,*
 for I flee to you for refuge.
Teach me to do what pleases you, for you are my God;*
 let your good Spirit lead me on level ground.
Revive me, O Lord, for your name's sake;*
 for your righteousness' sake, bring me out of trouble.

A Song of Hannah (1 Samuel 2.1-2,3b-5,7-8)

My soul exults in the Lord;
my strength is exalted in my God.

My mouth derides my enemies,
because I rejoice in your salvation.

There is no Holy One like you, O Lord,
nor any Rock like you, our God.

For you are a God of knowledge
and by you our actions are weighed.

The bows of the mighty are broken,
but the feeble gird on strength.

Those who were full now hire themselves out for bread,
but those who were hungry are well fed.

The barren woman has borne sevenfold,
but she who has many children is forlorn.

Both the poor and the rich are of your making;
you bring low and you also exalt.

You raise up the poor from the dust,
and lift the needy from the ash heap.

You make them sit with the rulers
and inherit a place of honour.

For the pillars of the earth are yours
and on them you have set the world.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [1 Samuel 20:1-17]:

David fled from Naioth in Ramah. He came before Jonathan
and said, 'What have I done? What is my guilt? And what
is my sin against your father that he is trying to take
my life?' He said to him, 'Perish the thought! You shall
not die. My father does nothing either great or small
without disclosing it to me; and why should my father
hide this from me? Never!' But David also swore, 'Your
father knows well that you like me; and he thinks, "Do
not let Jonathan know this, or he will be grieved." But
truly, as the LORD lives and as you yourself live, there
is but a step between me and death.' Then Jonathan said
to David, 'Whatever you say, I will do for you.' David
said to Jonathan, 'Tomorrow is the new moon, and I should
not fail to sit with the king at the meal; but let me go,
so that I may hide in the field until the third evening.
If your father misses me at all, then say, "David
earnestly asked leave of me to run to Bethlehem his city;
for there is a yearly sacrifice there for all the
family." If he says, "Good!" it will be well with your
servant; but if he is angry, then know that evil has been
determined by him. Therefore deal kindly with your
servant, for you have brought your servant into a sacred
covenant with you. But if there is guilt in me, kill me
yourself; why should you bring me to your father?'
Jonathan said, 'Far be it from you! If I knew that it was
decided by my father that evil should come upon you,
would I not tell you?' Then David said to Jonathan, 'Who
will tell me if your father answers you harshly?'
Jonathan replied to David, 'Come, let us go out into the
field.' So they both went out into the field.
Jonathan said to David, 'By the LORD, the God of Israel!
When I have sounded out my father, about this time
tomorrow, or on the third day, if he is well disposed
towards David, shall I not then send and disclose it to
you? But if my father intends to do you harm, the LORD do
so to Jonathan, and more also, if I do not disclose it to
you, and send you away, so that you may go in safety. May
the LORD be with you, as he has been with my father. If I
am still alive, show me the faithful love of the LORD;
but if I die, never cut off your faithful love from my
house, even if the LORD were to cut off every one of the
enemies of David from the face of the earth.' Thus
Jonathan made a covenant with the house of David, saying,
'May the LORD seek out the enemies of David.' Jonathan
made David swear again by his love for him; for he loved
him as he loved his own life.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Timothy 3:1-13

HYMN
Words: H. Glen Lanier (c)
Tune: Morning Hymn, Wareham
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o235.html

O God, your constant care and love
are shed upon us from above
throughout our lives, in every stage,
from infancy to later age.

We thank you, Lord, for dreams of youth,
for wisdom leading on to truth,
for memories gathered through the years,
and faith that grows from joys and tears.

All time is yours, O Lord, to give;
may we, in all the years we live,
find every day of life is new,
a celebration, Lord, with you.

Let not the passing of the years
rob us of joy nor cause us fears;
and give us faith, O Lord, that we
may live with you eternally.

Foundation of all that is,
you are our dwelling place for all time.

For what you have wrought through the waters of baptism
and your indwelling Spirit:
We praise you, Lord.

For the peace and strength of your surrounding mercy:
We praise you, Lord.

For all the ways your grace has shaped the patterns of our lives:
We praise you, Lord.

Free us and all your church to be at home with you today.
We pray especially for the Diocese of
 Oji River, Nigeria, The Rt Revd Amos Amankechinelo Madu, Bishop.
Strong God, hear us.

Make our hearts hospitable to all whom we meet today.
Strong God, hear us.

Steady in us all our choices and encounters.
Strong God, hear us.

Hold tenderly to your Church,
east, west, north, south,
past, present and future for Christ's sake.
Strong God, hear us.

God of justice,
we fail to act justly
and depend upon the power of righteousness:
look with compassion upon those surrounded by danger
and guide us all along the path of life;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Eternal God,
who bestowed such grace upon your servant Ethelreda
that she gave herself wholly to the life of prayer
and to the service of your true religion:
grant that we, like her,
may so live our lives on earth seeking your kingdom
that by your guiding
we may be joined to the glorious fellowship of your saints;

In your great power,
transform all our fear
into faith and awe in your saving presence;

The psalms, the first collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer are adapted from
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Hymn (c) 1976 by The Hymn Society
(admin. by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL 60188).
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

Etheldreda, also called Audrey, was born in Suffolk early in the seventh
century, a daughter of the king. She desired to commit her life to prayer and
chastity and, after two arranged and unconsummated marriages, founded a
religious house at Ely for both men and women, over which she ruled as
Abbess. At her death on this day in the year 678, she was revered as a woman
of austerity, prayer and prophecy. [Exciting Holiness]