OREMUS: 21 June 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jun 20 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for your Son, our Messiah and Lord,
who did not turn aside from the path of suffering
and did not spare his disciples the prospect of rejection.
You call us through your Spirit
to abandon the security of the easy way
and to follow in Christ's footsteps towards the cross and true life.

The heavens declare the glory of God,*
 and the firmament shows his handiwork.
One day tells its tale to another,*
 and one night imparts knowledge to another.
Although they have no words or language,*
 and their voices are not heard,
Their sound has gone out into all lands,*
 and their message to the ends of the world.
In the deep has he set a pavilion for the sun;*
 it comes forth like a bridegroom out of his chamber;
   it rejoices like a champion to run its course.
It goes forth from the uttermost edge of the heavens
   and runs about to the end of it again;*
 nothing is hidden from its burning heat.
The law of the Lord is perfect
   and revives the soul;*
 the testimony of the Lord is sure
   and gives wisdom to the innocent.
The statutes of the Lord are just
   and rejoice the heart;*
 the commandment of the Lord is clear
   and gives light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is clean
   and endures for ever;*
 the judgements of the Lord are true
   and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
   more than much fine gold,*
 sweeter far than honey,
   than honey in the comb.
By them also is your servant enlightened,*
 and in keeping them there is great reward.
Who can tell how often he offends?*
 Cleanse me from my secret faults.
Above all, keep your servant from presumptuous sins;
   let them not get dominion over me;*
 then shall I be whole and sound,
   and innocent of a great offence.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
   be acceptable in your sight,*
 O Lord, my strength and my redeemer.

A Song of God's Herald (Isaiah 40:9-11)

Go up to a high mountain,
herald of good tidings to Zion;
lift up your voice with strength,
herald of good tidings to Jerusalem.

Lift up your voice, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah, 'Behold your God!'

See, the Lord God comes with might,
and his arm rules for him.

Behold, his reward is with him,
and his recompense before him.

God will feed his flock like a shepherd,
and gather the lambs in his arms;

He will carry them in his breast,
and gently lead those that are with young.

READING [1 Samuel 19:1-7]:

Saul spoke to his son Jonathan and to all his servants
about killing David. But Saul's son Jonathan took great
delight in David. Jonathan told David, 'My father Saul is
trying to kill you; therefore be on guard tomorrow
morning; stay in a secret place and hide yourself. I will
go out and stand beside my father in the field where you
are, and I will speak to my father about you; if I learn
anything I will tell you.' Jonathan spoke well of David
to his father Saul, saying to him, 'The king should not
sin against his servant David, because he has not sinned
against you, and because his deeds have been of good
service to you; for he took his life in his hand when he
attacked the Philistine, and the LORD brought about a
great victory for all Israel. You saw it, and rejoiced;
why then will you sin against an innocent person by
killing David without cause?' Saul heeded the voice of
Jonathan; Saul swore, 'As the LORD lives, he shall not be
put to death.' So Jonathan called David and related all
these things to him. Jonathan then brought David to Saul,
and he was in his presence as before.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Timothy 1:12-17

HYMN
Words: John Greenleaf Whittier (1807-1892), 1867
Tune: Bishopthorpe
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i226.html

Immortal love, forever full,
forever flowing free,
forever shared, forever whole,
a never ebbing sea!

Our outward lips confess the name
all other names above;
love only knoweth whence it came,
and comprehendeth love.

We may not climb the heavenly steeps
to bring the Lord Christ down;
In vain we search the lowest deeps,
for him no depths can drown.

But warm, sweet, tender, even yet,
a present help is he;
and faith still has its Olivet,
and love its Galilee.

The healing of his seamless dress
is by our beds of pain;
we touch him in life's throng and press,
and we are whole again.

Through him the first fond prayers are said
our lips of childhood frame,
the last low whispers of our dead
are burdened with his Name.

O Lord and Master of us all,
whate'er our name or sign,
we own thy sway, we hear thy call,
we test our lives by thine.

Baptizing God,
you have plunged us into the waters as death to sin
and have raised us to be alive to you in joy and service.

For all whose eager and resolute living in you
makes them saints to us:
We thank you, Lord.

For the community made holy in Christ,
the living and the dead, the near and the far away:
We thank you, Lord.

For the witness of your Church, especially the Diocese of
Offa, Nigeria, The Rt Revd Gabriel Akinbolarin Akinbiyi, Bishop.
We thank you, Lord.

For an awareness of our kinship
to holy and just men and women:
We thank you, Lord.

For reminding us that perfection in you is a journey
of consistent love to you and to others:
We thank you, Lord.

For sustaining us in the faithful use of means of grace,
that we may resolve to live in your love and peace:
We thank you, Lord.

Gracious Creator of heaven and earth,
your Word has come among us
as the true Sun of Righteousness,
and the Good News of his birth
has gone out to the ends of the world:
Open our eyes to the light of your law,
that we may be freed from sin
and serve you without reproach
for the sake of Jesus Christ, our Light and our Life. Amen.

In your great power,
transform all our fear
into faith and awe in your saving presence;

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer are adapted from
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com