OREMUS: 20 June 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jun 19 23:36:56 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, June 20, 2005

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for your Son, our Messiah and Lord,
who did not turn aside from the path of suffering
and did not spare his disciples the prospect of rejection.
You call us through your Spirit
to abandon the security of the easy way
and to follow in Christ's footsteps towards the cross and true life.

Lord, you have been our refuge*
 from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
   or the land and the earth were born,*
 from age to age you are God.
You turn us back to the dust and say,*
 'Go back, O child of earth.'
For a thousand years in your sight
   are like yesterday when it is past*
 and like a watch in the night.
You sweep us away like a dream;*
 we fade away suddenly like the grass.
In the morning it is green and flourishes;*
 in the evening it is dried up and withered.
For we consume away in your displeasure;*
 we are afraid because of your wrathful indignation.
Our iniquities you have set before you,*
 and our secret sins in the light of your countenance.
When you are angry, all our days are gone;*
 we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
The span of our life is seventy years,
   perhaps in strength even eighty;*
 yet the sum of them is but labour and sorrow,
   for they pass away quickly and we are gone.
Who regards the power of your wrath?*
 who rightly fears your indignation?
So teach us to number our days*
 that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.
Return, O Lord; how long will you tarry?*
 be gracious to your servants.
Satisfy us by your loving-kindness in the morning;*
 so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life.
Make us glad by the measure of the days
   that you afflicted us*
 and the years in which we suffered adversity.
Show your servants your works*
 and your splendour to their children.
May the graciousness of the Lord our God be upon us;*
 prosper the work of our hands;
   prosper our handiwork.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [1 Samuel 18:1-16]:

When David had finished speaking to Saul, the soul of
Jonathan was bound to the soul of David, and Jonathan
loved him as his own soul. Saul took him that day and
would not let him return to his father's house. Then
Jonathan made a covenant with David, because he loved him
as his own soul. Jonathan stripped himself of the robe
that he was wearing, and gave it to David, and his
armour, and even his sword and his bow and his belt.
David went out and was successful wherever Saul sent him;
as a result, Saul set him over the army. And all the
people, even the servants of Saul, approved.
As they were coming home, when David returned from
killing the Philistine, the women came out of all the
towns of Israel, singing and dancing, to meet King Saul,
with tambourines, with songs of joy, and with musical
instruments. And the women sang to one another as they
made merry,
'Saul has killed his thousands,
   and David his tens of thousands.'
Saul was very angry, for this saying displeased him. He
said, 'They have ascribed to David tens of thousands, and
to me they have ascribed thousands; what more can he have
but the kingdom?' So Saul eyed David from that day on.
The next day an evil spirit from God rushed upon Saul,
and he raved within his house, while David was playing
the lyre, as he did day by day. Saul had his spear in his
hand; and Saul threw the spear, for he thought, 'I will
pin David to the wall.' But David eluded him twice.
Saul was afraid of David, because the LORD was with him
but had departed from Saul. So Saul removed him from his
presence, and made him a commander of a thousand; and
David marched out and came in, leading the army. David
had success in all his undertakings; for the LORD was
with him. When Saul saw that he had great success, he
stood in awe of him. But all Israel and Judah loved
David; for it was he who marched out and came in leading
them.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Timothy 1:1-11

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748), 1719
Tune: St. Anne
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o196.html

O God, our help in ages past,
our hope for years to come,
our shelter from the stormy blast,
and our eternal home:

Under the shadow of thy throne,
thy saints have dwelt secure;
sufficient is thine arm alone,
and our defense is sure.

Before the hills in order stood,
or earth received her frame,
from everlasting thou art God,
to endless years the same.

A thousand ages in thy sight
are like an evening gone;
short as the watch that ends the night
before the rising sun.

Time, like an ever-rolling stream,
bears all its sons away;
they fly, forgotten, as a dream
dies at the opening day.

O God, our help in ages past,
our hope for years to come,
be thou our guide while troubles last,
and our eternal home!

Holy God,
we rejoice in the martyrs and prophets, teachers and leaders,
and all the ordinary and extraordinary believers
who have lived and loved the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Recalling their stories and deeds,
we dare to take up our crosses.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses,
we plead for the human family and all creation:

For those addicted or tormented:
We pray to you, Lord.

For the victims of terrorism and disaster:
We pray to you, Lord.

For those who despair of life's goodness:
We pray to you, Lord.

For the Church, especially the Diocese of
of Nyahururu, Kenya, The Rt Revd Charles Gaikia Gaita, Bishop.
We pray to you, Lord.

For ecumenical councils and church agencies:
We pray to you, Lord.

For a resolution to unresolved matters of this day:
We pray to you, Lord.

Eternal Father,
our refuge from generation to generation,
in Christ your salvation has dawned for your people:
prosper the work of our hands
that the promise of your glorious kingdom
may be fulfilled in our midst;

In your great power,
transform all our fear
into faith and awe in your saving presence;

The psalms. the collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer are adapted from
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of
Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c)
1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.