OREMUS: 19 June 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jun 18 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, June 19, 2005
The Fifth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, merciful God;
for your Son, our Messiah and Lord,
who did not turn aside from the path of suffering
and did not spare his disciples the prospect of rejection.
You call us through your Spirit
to abandon the security of the easy way
and to follow in Christ's footsteps towards the cross and true life.

Save me, O God,*
 for the waters have risen up to my neck.
I am sinking in deep mire,*
 and there is no firm ground for my feet.
I have come into deep waters,*
 and the torrent washes over me.
I have grown weary with my crying;
   my throat is inflamed;*
 my eyes have failed from looking for my God.
Those who hate me without a cause
   are more than the hairs of my head;
   my lying foes who would destroy me are mighty.*
 Must I then give back what I never stole?
O God, you know my foolishness,*
 and my faults are not hidden from you.
Let not those who hope in you
   be put to shame through me, Lord God of hosts;*
 let not those who seek you be disgraced because of me,
   O God of Israel.
Surely, for your sake have I suffered reproach,*
 and shame has covered my face.
I have become a stranger to my own kindred,*
 an alien to my mother's children.
Zeal for your house has eaten me up;*
 the scorn of those who scorn you has fallen upon me.
I humbled myself with fasting,*
 but that was turned to my reproach.
I put on sack-cloth also,*
 and became a byword among them.
Those who sit at the gate murmur against me,*
 and the drunkards make songs about me.
But as for me, this is my prayer to you,*
 at the time you have set, O Lord:
'In your great mercy, O God,*
 answer me with your unfailing help.
'Save me from the mire; do not let me sink;*
 let me be rescued from those who hate me
   and out of the deep waters.
'Let not the torrent of waters wash over me,
   neither let the deep swallow me up;*
 do not let the Pit shut its mouth upon me.
'Answer me, O Lord, for your love is kind;*
 in your great compassion, turn to me.
'Hide not your face from your servant;*
 be swift and answer me, for I am in distress.
'Draw near to me and redeem me;*
 because of my enemies deliver me.
'You know my reproach, my shame and my dishonour;*
 my adversaries are all in your sight.'
Reproach has broken my heart and it cannot be healed;*
 I looked for sympathy, but there was none,
   for comforters, but I could find no one.
They gave me gall to eat,*
 and when I was thirsty, they gave me vinegar to drink.
As for me, I am afflicted and in pain;*
 your help, O God, will lift me up on high.
I will praise the name of God in song;*
 I will proclaim his greatness with thanksgiving.
This will please the Lord more than an offering of oxen,*
 more than bullocks with horns and hoofs.
The afflicted shall see and be glad;*
 you who seek God, your heart shall live.
For the Lord listens to the needy,*
 and his prisoners he does not despise.
Let the heavens and the earth praise him,*
 the seas and all that moves in them;
For God will save Zion and rebuild the cities of Judah;*
 they shall live there and have it in possession.
The children of his servants will inherit it,*
 and those who love his name will dwell therein.

Bless the Lord (Song of the Three 29-34)
Blessed are you, the God of our ancestors,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed is your holy and glorious name,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you, in your holy and glorious temple,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you who look into the depths,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you, enthroned on the cherubim,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you on the throne of your kingdom,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you in the heights of heaven,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Genesis 21:22-33]:

At that time Abimelech, with Phicol the commander of his
army, said to Abraham, 'God is with you in all that you
do; now therefore swear to me here by God that you will
not deal falsely with me or with my offspring or with my
posterity, but as I have dealt loyally with you, you will
deal with me and with the land where you have resided as
an alien.' And Abraham said, 'I swear it.'
When Abraham complained to Abimelech about a well of
water that Abimelech's servants had seized, Abimelech
said, 'I do not know who has done this; you did not tell
me, and I have not heard of it until today.' So Abraham
took sheep and oxen and gave them to Abimelech, and the
two men made a covenant. Abraham set apart seven ewe
lambs of the flock. And Abimelech said to Abraham, 'What
is the meaning of these seven ewe lambs that you have set
apart?' He said, 'These seven ewe lambs you shall accept
from my hand, in order that you may be a witness for me
that I dug this well.' Therefore that place was called
Beer-sheba; because there both of them swore an oath.
When they had made a covenant at Beer-sheba, Abimelech,
with Phicol the commander of his army, left and returned
to the land of the Philistines. Abraham planted a
tamarisk tree in Beer-sheba, and called there on the name
of the LORD, the Everlasting God.

For another Biblical reading,
Matthew 10:9-23

HYMN
Words: Horatius Bonar
Tune: Song 20

O everlasting light,
Giver of dawn and day,
Dispeller of the ancient night,
In which creation lay.

O everlasting health,
>From which all healing springs,
Our bliss, our treasure,  and our wealth,
To thee our spirit clings.

O everlasting truth,
Truest of all that's true;
Sure guide of erring age and youth,
Lead us, and teach us too.

O everlasting strength,
Uphold us in the way;
Bring us, in spite of foes, at length
To joy, and light, and day.

O everlasting love,
Wellspring of grace and peace;
Pour down thy fulness from above,
Bid doubt and trouble cease.

In the confidence that God sees all of us
and counts us all of great value,
let us offer prayers for every person in every place.

For this holy gathering and for the people of God in every place.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all nations, peoples, tribes, clans, and families.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all that is good and bountiful for the world,
and for mercy, justice, and peace.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all those in danger and need:
the sick and the suffering,
the hungry and the oppressed,
travelers and prisoners,
the dying and the dead.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For ourselves, our families, and those we love.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Lifting our voices with all creation,
with the blessed Virgin Mary and all the saints,
let us offer ourselves and one another
to the living God through Christ.
To you, O Lord.

Our Father in heaven,
who acknowledges each of God's creatures,
receive the prayers we offer this day
for all in every danger and every need,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Pour out upon us, O God,
the power and wisdom of your Spirit,
that we may walk with Christ the way of the cross,
ready to offer even the gift of our lives
to show forth to the world our hope in your kingdom.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

In your great power,
transform all our fear
into faith and awe in your saving presence;

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer are adapted from
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is by Ormonde Plater.

Westminster / John Knox Press.