OREMUS: 17 June 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jun 16 21:55:19 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, June 17, 2005

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in you we live and move and have our being.
Each day we encounter the signs of your tender care.
Possessing the firstfruits of the Spirit,
who raised Jesus from the dead,
we live in the hope that the mystery of his dying and rising
will be for us also an eternal Easter.

To you I lift up my eyes,*
 to you enthroned in the heavens.
As the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters,*
 and the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress,
So our eyes look to the Lord our God,*
 until he show us his mercy.
Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy,*
 for we have had more than enough of contempt,
Too much of the scorn of the indolent rich,*
 and of the derision of the proud.

Psalm 130

Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
   Lord, hear my voice;*
 let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss,*
 O Lord, who could stand?
For there is forgiveness with you;*
 therefore you shall be feared.
I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him;*
 in his word is my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord,
   more than the night-watch for the morning,*
 more than the night-watch for the morning.
O Israel, wait for the Lord,*
 for with the Lord there is mercy;
With him there is plenteous redemption,*
 and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55:6-11)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;

Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;

Return to the Lord,
who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.

'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways', says the Lord.

'For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

'As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,

'Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,

'So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,

'But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.'

READING [John 6:48-59]:

Jesus said, 'I am the bread of life. Your ancestors ate
the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the
bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of
it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from
heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live for ever;
and the bread that I will give for the life of the world
is my flesh.'
The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, 'How can
this man give us his flesh to eat?' So Jesus said to
them, 'Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh
of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life
in you. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have
eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day;
for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink.
Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me,
and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I
live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live
because of me. This is the bread that came down from
heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they
died. But the one who eats this bread will live for
ever.' He said these things while he was teaching in the
synagogue at Capernaum.

For another Biblical reading,
Job 38:1-17

HYMN
Words: Timothy Dudley-Smith (c)
Tune: Genevan Psalm 130, Llangloffan, Moville, King's Lynn, Aurelia
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l145.html

Light of the minds that know him,
may Christ be light to mine!
My sun in risen splendor,
my light of truth divine;
my guide in doubt and darkness,
my true and living way,
my clear light ever shining,
my dawn of heaven's day.

Life of the souls that love him,
may Christ be ours indeed!
The living Bread from heaven
on whom our spirits feed;
who died for love of sinners
to bear our guilty load,
and make of life's journey
a new Emmaus road.

Strength of the wills that serve him,
may Christ be strength to me,
who stilled the storm and tempest,
who calmed the tossing sea;
his Spirit's power to move me,
his will to master mine,
his cross to carry daily
and conquer in his sign.

May it be ours to know him
that we may truly love,
and loving, fully serve him
as serve the saints above;
till in that home of glory
with fadeless splendor bright,
we serve in perfect freedom
our strength, our life, our light.

Great are you, Lord, and greatly to be praised!
There is no end to your greatness.
Let your Spirit shape and make new our character,
encourage us in constant prayer,
direct us in the way of love
and bring us at last to heaven with all your saints in light.

All that is unfinished in us and in the world,
we entrust to you, Lord.

Every aspiration, longing and dream
crushed by temptation, sin and dullness of heart,
we entrust to you, Lord.

Holy Church seeking to offer you worship
in every place and culture, especially in the Diocese of
Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island, Canada,
The Rt Revd Frederick J Hiltz, Bishop.
we entrust to you, Lord.

Every people and tribe oppressed
by the greed and prejudice of others,
we entrust to you, Lord.

The empty and hungry places in our spirits
and in our relationships with others,
we entrust to you, Lord.

O God,
you reveal yourself to the humble in the lowliest of disguises,
yet the proud fail to find you even in your greatest glory:
Help us to perceive you in this ordinary moment,
that with faith piercing the superficial experience of this world,
we may see you accomplishing many great things around us.
We ask this through Jesus Christ, our Lord born in a barn. Amen.

Compassionate God,
grant that our experience of your pardon
may increase our love
until it reflects your own immeasurable forgiveness;

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The collect is by Stephen T. Benner, 2003, and is based on a reading from
Abandonment to Divine Providence by Jean-Pierre de Caussade

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects
in Contemporary Language_. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.