OREMUS: 16 June 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jun 15 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, June 16, 2005
Joseph Butler, Bishop of Durham, Philosopher, 1752

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in you we live and move and have our being.
Each day we encounter the signs of your tender care.
Possessing the firstfruits of the Spirit,
who raised Jesus from the dead,
we live in the hope that the mystery of his dying and rising
will be for us also an eternal Easter.

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

Psalm 124

If the Lord had not been on our side,*
 let Israel now say;
If the Lord had not been on our side,*
 when enemies rose up against us;
Then would they have swallowed us up alive*
 in their fierce anger towards us;
Then would the waters have overwhelmed us*
 and the torrent gone over us;
Then would the raging waters*
 have gone right over us.
Blessed be the Lord!*
 he has not given us over to be a prey for their teeth.
We have escaped like a bird
   from the snare of the fowler;*
 the snare is broken and we have escaped.
Our help is in the name of the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3:16; 6:15-16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.

He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.

Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.

This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,

Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.

To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [John 6:35-47]:

Jesus said to them, 'I am the bread of life. Whoever
comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in
me will never be thirsty. But I said to you that you have
seen me and yet do not believe. Everything that the
Father gives me will come to me, and anyone who comes to
me I will never drive away; for I have come down from
heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who
sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I
should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but
raise it up on the last day. This is indeed the will of
my Father, that all who see the Son and believe in him
may have eternal life; and I will raise them up on the
last day.'

Then the Jews began to complain about him because he
said, 'I am the bread that came down from heaven.' They
were saying, 'Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose
father and mother we know? How can he now say, "I have
come down from heaven"?' Jesus answered them, 'Do not
complain among yourselves. No one can come to me unless
drawn by the Father who sent me; and I will raise that
person up on the last day. It is written in the prophets,
"And they shall all be taught by God." Everyone who has
heard and learned from the Father comes to me. Not that
anyone has seen the Father except the one who is from
God; he has seen the Father. Very truly, I tell you,
whoever believes has eternal life.'

For another Biblical reading,

Job 32:1-10,19-33:1,19-28

HYMN
Words: Sydney Carter (c)
Tune: Lord of the Dance
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i037.html

I danced in the morning
when the world was begun,
and I danced in the moon
and the stars and the sun,
and I came down from heaven
and I danced on the earth,
at Bethlehem
I had my birth.
Refrain:
Dance, then, wherever you may be,
I am the Lord of the Dance, said he,
and I'll lead you all, wherever you may be,
and I'll lead you all in the Dance, said he.

I danced for the scribe
and the pharisee,
but they would not dance
and they wouldn't follow me.
I danced for the fishermen,
for James and John -
they came with me
and the dance went on. Refrain

I danced on the Sabbath
and I cured the lame;
the holy people
said it was a shame.
they whipped and they stripped
and they hung me on high,
and they left me there
on a Cross to die. Refrain

I danced on a Friday
when the sky turned black;
it's hard to dance
with the devil on your back.
They buried my body
and they thought I'd gone,
but I am the Dance,
and I still go on. Refrain

They cut me down
and I leapt up high;
I am the life
that'll never, never die;
I'll live in you
if you'll live in me -
I am the Lord
of the Dance, said he. Refrain

Almighty and gracious God,
we bless you for your mercy in Christ
and your nearness by the Word and the Spirit.

Hear us as we embrace in the circle of love:

the life and witness of your Church.
Generous God, hear us.

the world and its longing,
especially for peace in India and Pakistan,
Afghanistan, Israel and Palestine and wherever conflict persists.
Generous God, hear us.

the cares of our own lives,
Generous God, hear us.

and those particular concerns your Spirit awakens in us,
Generous God, hear us.

God, maker of heaven and earth,
you save us in the water of baptism
and by the suffering of your Son you set us free:
help us to put our trust in his victory
and to know that there is salvation
only in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God,
by your Holy Spirit
you give to some the word of wisdom,
to others the word of knowledge,
to others the word of faith:
We praise your Name for the gifts of grace
manifested in your servant Joseph Butler,
and we pray that your Church
may never be destitute of such gifts;

Compassionate God,
grant that our experience of your pardon
may increase our love
until it reflects your own immeasurable forgiveness;

The psalms, the first collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

Hymn (c) 1963 by Stainer & Bell Ltd.
(admin. by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188).
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects
in Contemporary Language_. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Butler was born in 1692 and ordained in 1718. In 1726 he published Fifteen
Sermons, preached at the Rolls Chapel in London, and chiefly dealing with
human nature and its implications for ethics and practical Christian life. He
maintained that it is normal for a man to have an instinct of self-interest, which
leads him to seek his own good, and equally normal for him to have an instinct
of benevolence, which leads him to seek the good of others individually and
generally, and that the two aims do not in fact conflict.
He served as parish priest in several parishes, and in 1736 was appointed
chaplain to Queen Caroline, wife of King George II. In the same year he
published his masterpiece, The Analogy of Religion, Natural and Revealed, to
the Constitution and Course of Nature (often cited simply as "Butler's
Analogy"), a work chiefly directed against Deism, of which more will be said
below. Appended to the main work was a treatise, Of the Nature of Virtue,
which establishes him as one of the foremost British writers on ethics, or moral
philosophy.
When the Queen died in 1737, Butler was made Bishop of Bristol. However,
George II had been impressed with him earlier, and in 1746 he was called back
to court and the next year offered the post of Archbishop of Canterbury. He
refused the post, but in 1750 he became Bishop of Durham. He died there on
16 June 1752. [James Kiefer, abridged; for the original, see
http://elvis.rowan.edu/~kilroy/JEK/06/16.html]