OREMUS: 14 June 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jun 13 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, June 14, 2005
Richard Baxter, Puritan Divine, 1691

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in you we live and move and have our being.
Each day we encounter the signs of your tender care.
Possessing the firstfruits of the Spirit,
who raised Jesus from the dead,
we live in the hope that the mystery of his dying and rising
will be for us also an eternal Easter.

When I was in trouble I called to the Lord,*
 I called to the Lord and he answered me.
Deliver me, O Lord, from lying lips*
 and from the deceitful tongue.
What shall be done to you and what more besides,*
 O you deceitful tongue?
The sharpened arrows of a warrior,*
 along with hot glowing coals.
How hateful it is that I must lodge in Meshech*
 and dwell among the tents of Kedar!
Too long have I had to live*
 among the enemies of peace.
I am on the side of peace,*
 but when I speak of it, they are for war.

Psalm 121

I lift up my eyes to the hills;*
 from where is my help to come?
My help comes from the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved*
 and he who watches over you will not fall asleep.
Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel*
 shall neither slumber nor sleep;
The Lord himself watches over you;*
 the Lord is your shade at your right hand,
So that the sun shall not strike you by day,*
 nor the moon by night.
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil;*
 it is he who shall keep you safe.
The Lord shall watch over your going out
   and your coming in,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

Psalm 122

I was glad when they said to me,*
 'Let us go to the house of the Lord.'
Now our feet are standing*
 within your gates, O Jerusalem.
Jerusalem is built as a city*
 that is at unity with itself.
To which the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord,*
 the assembly of Israel, to praise the name of the Lord.
For there are the thrones of judgement,*
 the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:*
 'May they prosper who love you.
'Peace be within your walls*
 and quietness within your towers.
'For my family and companions' sake,*
 I pray for your prosperity.
'Because of the house of the Lord our God,*
 I will seek to do you good.'

A Song of Baruch (Baruch 5.5,6c,7-9

Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height:
look to the east and see your children,

Gathered from the west and the east
at the word of the Holy One.

They rejoice that God has remembered them
and has brought them back to you.

For God has ordered that every high mountain
and the everlasting hills be made low,

And the valleys filled up to make level ground
so that they may walk safely in the glory of God.

The woods and every fragrant tree
have shaded them at God's command.

For God will lead his people with joy
in the light of his glory
with the mercy and righteousness that comes from God.

READING [John 6:16-24]:

When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake,
got into a boat, and started across the lake to
Capernaum. It was now dark, and Jesus had not yet come to
them. The lake became rough because a strong wind was
blowing. When they had rowed about three or four miles,
they saw Jesus walking on the lake and coming near the
boat, and they were terrified. But he said to them, 'It
is I; do not be afraid.' Then they wanted to take him
into the boat, and immediately the boat reached the land
towards which they were going.
The next day the crowd that had stayed on the other side
of the lake saw that there had been only one boat there.
They also saw that Jesus had not got into the boat with
his disciples, but that his disciples had gone away
alone. Then some boats from Tiberias came near the place
where they had eaten the bread after the Lord had given
thanks. So when the crowd saw that neither Jesus nor his
disciples were there, they themselves got into the boats
and went to Capernaum looking for Jesus.

For another Biblical reading,
Job 29:1;30:1-2,16-31

HYMN
Words: Percy Dearmer, 1906
Tune: Quem pastores
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l448.html

Lord, the wind and sea obey thee,
moon and stars their homage pay thee
listen to us, as we pray thee,
who on thee for all depend.

Bless all travelers and strangers,
safely keep the ocean rangers,
guide them in the midst of dangers:
all to thee we now commend.

Bless the friends we've left behind us;
closer may our parting bind us:
may they dearer, better, find us,
when we reach our journey's end.

On our way, dear Lord, direct us;
where we err do thou correct us;
from the powers of ill protect us,
from all perils us defend.

May we know thy presence o'er us,
see thy guiding hand before us,
till thou safely dost restore us,
love to love and friend to friend.

Holy God, in mercy bending,
human souls with love befriending,
fit us all for joy unending
when this earthly course doth end.

We seek you daily, O Father,
and you are there daily to be found.

Wherever we seek you,
at home, at work, on the highway,
you are there, O Lord.

Whatever we do,
eating and drinking,
writing or working,
readings, meditating or praying,
you are there, O Lord.

If we are oppressed,
you defend us, O Lord.

If we hunger,
you feed us, O Lord.

Whatever we need,
you give us, O Lord.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Northwestern Pennsylvania, USA, The Rt Revd Robert Deane Rowley, Bishop.
Hear us, O Lord.

God of our joy and gladness,
hear our prayer for the peace of this world
and bring us at last,
with all our companions in faith,
to the peace of that city where you live and reign,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
now and to all eternity. Amen.

 O heavenly Father, Shepherd of your people,
we thank you for your servant Richard Baxter,
who was faithful in the care and nurture of your flock;
and we pray that, following his example and the teaching of his holy life,
we may by your grace grow into the stature of the fullness
of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Compassionate God,
grant that our experience of your pardon
may increase our love
until it reflects your own immeasurable forgiveness;

The psalms, first collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The intercession is by Stephen Benner and is based on a prayer by James
Norden written in 1548.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects
in Contemporary Language_. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Richard Baxter was born in Shropshire in 1615, and died in London 8
December 1691.
Throughout his life, Baxter worked as a peacemaker between factions. He was
ordained to the priesthood in 1638, but by 1640 had allied himself with the
Puritans, and was calling for the abolition of bishops in the Church of England.
He was a believer in limited monarchy, and attempted to play a mediating role
in the English Civil War. For a short time he was a chaplain to the
Parliamentary Army, but he helped to bring about the restoration of the
monarchy in 1660. After the monarchy was restored, he urged an expansion of
the limits of tolerated dissent within the Church of England. In 1685-6 he was
imprisoned for 18 months. The Revolution of 1688 largely freed him from
further harassment.
Although circumstances thrust him into the political controversies of the day,
his own chief calling, as he saw it, was to the parish ministry. From 1641 to
1660 he served the parish of Kidderminster in Worcestershire, a town where
handloom weaving was the principal industry. Sunday after Sunday, he
preached a doctrine of complete trust in God, and daily Christian obedience.
His church had to be specially enlarged to accomodate the crowds who came
to hear him speak. He was also deeply involved in personal pastoral
counselling, making it his business to speak privately with every one in his
parish on a regular basis.
His best known works are The Saints' Everlasting Rest and The Reformed
Pastor. His autobiography, published after his death and edited by another
hand, is called Reliquiae Baxterianae, or Mr. Richard Baxter's Narrative of the
Most Memorable Passages of His Life and Times. [James Kiefer]