OREMUS: 13 June 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jun 12 19:03:55 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, June 13, 2005
Antony of Padua, OFM, Missionary, Preacher, 1231

Blessed are you, merciful God;
in you we live and move and have our being.
Each day we encounter the signs of your tender care.
Possessing the firstfruits of the Spirit,
who raised Jesus from the dead,
we live in the hope that the mystery of his dying and rising
will be for us also an eternal Easter.

The Lord said to my lord, 'Sit at my right hand,*
 until I make your enemies your footstool.'
The Lord will send the sceptre of your power
   out of Zion,*
 saying, 'Rule over your enemies round about you.
'Princely state has been yours
   from the day of your birth,*
 in the beauty of holiness have I begotten you,
   like dew from the womb of the morning.'
The Lord has sworn and he will not recant:*
 'You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.'

   I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,*
 in the assembly of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the deeds of the Lord!*
 they are studied by all who delight in them.
His work is full of majesty and splendour,*
 and his righteousness endures for ever.
He makes his marvellous works to be remembered;*
 the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.
He gives food to those who fear him;*
 he is ever mindful of his covenant.
He has shown his people the power of his works*
 in giving them the lands of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithfulness and justice;*
 all his commandments are sure.
They stand fast for ever and ever,*
 because they are done in truth and equity.
He sent redemption to his people;
   he commanded his covenant for ever;*
 holy and awesome is his name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;*
 those who act accordingly have a good understanding;
   his praise endures for ever.

A Song of Ezekiel (Ezekiel 36:24-26,28b)

I will take you from the nations,
and gather you from all the countries.

I will sprinkle clean water upon you,
and you shall be clean from all your impurities.

A new heart I will give you,
and put a new spirit within you,

And I will remove from your body the heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh.

You shall be my people,
and I will be your God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [John 6:1-15]:

After this Jesus went to the other side of the Sea of
Galilee, also called the Sea of Tiberias.  A large crowd
kept following him, because they saw the signs that he
was doing for the sick. Jesus went up the mountain and
sat down there with his disciples. Now the Passover, the
festival of the Jews, was near. When he looked up and saw
a large crowd coming towards him, Jesus said to Philip,
'Where are we to buy bread for these people to eat?' He
said this to test him, for he himself knew what he was
going to do. Philip answered him, 'Six months' wages
would not buy enough bread for each of them to get a
little.' One of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter's
brother, said to him, 'There is a boy here who has five
barley loaves and two fish. But what are they among so
many people?' Jesus said, 'Make the people sit down.' Now
there was a great deal of grass in the place; so they sat
down, about five thousand in all. Then Jesus took the
loaves, and when he had given thanks, he distributed them
to those who were seated; so also the fish, as much as
they wanted. When they were satisfied, he told his
disciples, 'Gather up the fragments left over, so that
nothing may be lost.' So they gathered them up, and from
the fragments of the five barley loaves, left by those
who had eaten, they filled twelve baskets. When the
people saw the sign that he had done, they began to say,
'This is indeed the prophet who is to come into the
world.'
When Jesus realized that they were about to come and take
him by force to make him king, he withdrew again to the
mountain by himself.

For another Biblical reading,
Job 29:1-20

HYMN
Words: Fred Pratt Green (c)
Tune: Herongate, Brockham, Illsley
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t089.html

The church of Christ in every age,
beset by change but Spirit-led,
must claim and test its heritage
and keep on rising from the dead.

Across the world, across the street,
the victims of injustice cry
for shelter and for bread to eat,
and never live until they die.

The let the servant church arise,
a caring church that longs to be
a partner in Christ's sacrifice,
and clothed in Christ's humanity.

For he alone, whose blood was shed,
can cure the fever in our blood,
and teach us how to share our bread
and feed the starving multitude.

We have no mission but to serve
in full obedience to our Lord:
to care for all, without reserve,
and spread his liberating word.

All-seeing, all-loving God,
you behold the human family as one.
You regard each of us as loved, redeemed, a temple of your Spirit.
Beholding you, we respond in thanks and praise as one Church.

Renew the Church in a dynamic sense of your grace.
Renew us, O Lord.

We remember your Church in the Diocese of
Northwest Texas, USA, The Rt Revd C Wallis Ohl Jr, Bishop.
Renew us, O Lord.

Work in us a continuing conversion:
Renew us, O Lord.

Give all your disciples eyes to see you in the ordinary:
Renew us, O Lord.

Lift the heavy hands of oppression
from the poor, the abused and the exploited:
Renew us, O Lord.

Kindle in the suffering and desperate
the warmth of your nearness and consolation:
Renew us, O Lord.

Stir up in us attention to the Spirit breathing within us:
Renew us, O Lord.

When you came among us in majesty, O God,
you took the form of a servant.
May we whom you call to your priestly service
work to establish justice on earth,
that we may inherit your kingdom in heaven;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty and eternal God,
you have given us blessed Antony of Padua
as an example of outstanding preaching
and intercession for others in times of need:
Grant us grace so to follow his model of Christian living
that we may experience the support of your Holy Spirit
in all that we must endure;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit

Compassionate God,
grant that our experience of your pardon
may increase our love
until it reflects your own immeasurable forgiveness;

The canticle and the first collect are from _Common Worship: Daily
Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2002.

Hymn (c) 1971 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer in _Opening Prayers: Collects
in Contemporary Language_. Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Antony was born in Lisbon in 1195, and spent the first twenty-five years of his
life in Portugal. Desiring to become a missionary, he joined the Franciscans and
was sent to Morocco to preach to the Muslims. His health failed, and he
returned almost immediately and was sent to Italy, where he seemed headed
for an uneventful obscurity. However, a conference of Dominicans and
Franciscans was scheduled, at which each group thought that the other was
about to provide the preacher, and so no one was prepared. For some reason,
Antony was thrust forward and told to say something, and he astonished his
hearers with the grace and power of his exhortation. He was told that he must
speak more often, and he devoted the last nine years of his life to preaching.
He had a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures, and his sermons reflect that
knowledge. He was noted for his refutations of heresies, and for his
denunciations of clergy who did not live dedicated lives and of wealthy and
powerful persons who oppressed the common people.
It is said that Antony in his private prayers was accustomed to direct his
devotion to Jesus as an infant, and to meditate on the Divine Humility that
stooped to accept, not merely the limitations of being human, but the
limitations of being a helpless baby, utterly dependent on others. For this
reason, artists often portray Antony in a Franciscan robe, carrying a lily and the
child Jesus.
Background note: In many countries, it is widely believed that Antony, now in
heaven, makes a special point of praying on behalf of his fellow Christians who
have lost or misplaced items and wish to find them. He also prays on behalf of
women who wish to marry. [James Kiefer, abridged]